Spraying Vallejo ?

TimDarrah

I need to spray some Vallejo using my airbrush, but I've never done this before (I'm a enamel man), so how do I thin it and use to clean the airbrush?

Thanks,

It depends on if you have the Vallejo Model Air paint, or model color paint. But anyway I recommend Vallejo Paint thinner. I was never impressed with how it airbrushed, and I only airbrush Tamiya Paints. But Valejo, brush paints alot better than Tamiya Paint.

No I have the "normal" Vallejo paint. But brush painting a Tiger II isn't on the cards. I'll look for the thinner.

No I have the "normal" Vallejo paint. But brush painting a Tiger II isn't on the cards. I'll look for the thinner.

One of the local guys experimented with this a few years back. None of the traditional thinners, even theirs, seemed to work. He started trying everything he could think of. Windex sorta worked, but not for white for the obvious reasons. What he discovered was Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) but the only problem was decent adhesion. He never solved that problem for masking. Not a problem, it was reported, as he was only planing to use it for base coats.

HTH,

Vallejo not adhering well, that's wild. All of the armour mags that I read always use this paint and mask it. Looks like I'll just have to experiment.

Jim, thanks for the guideance.

I've had good luck spraying Vallejo Model Air, although there is a learning curve. The only thinner I've found that works is their own - just barely. Luckily Model Air needs very little thinning. I've had no luck at all spraying their Model Color line. Seems right as you get the paint/thinner mix in the ballpark adhesion goes out the window. I've tried Vallejo thinner and Windex with about the same result. Lacquer thinner and any alcohol based thinner ends in disaster. Never tried Hydrogen Peroxide though.

-dave

Edited by Dave23

I need to spray some Vallejo using my airbrush, but I've never done this before (I'm a enamel man), so how do I thin it and use to clean the airbrush?

Thanks,

I found this page with a web search:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=186679

If you poke around on their forum there are several threads on the topic. Most common suggestions for thining were plain water and water-mixed-with-isopropol. This is a gaming-miniatures site, so they may not have to worry about masking - but presumably their pieces get some amount of handling.

Don

That's great info Don, thanks. Looks like I'll just have to "play" with the stuff. I'm thinking of puting a clear coat over the Vallejo to help protect it during masking. That might work, I hope. Once I try this, I'll put a post on to give the results.