p51 mustang

MikeH

I'm 99% an automotive builder, and the other 1% Sci-Fi modeler. I decided I need to get off my but and try an airplane for the first time in .... 25 years. The last ones I built were when I was 9 years old and glue bombs. I figured this would be a good stable kit to get in to it with since it's been around for many a year. I may be popping in here asking for help. LOLOL

DSC01839.jpg

Good basic P-51D! It hs a nice interior and decent detail in the wheel and gun bay. If you feel up to the detail painting, you'll save youself some assembly trouble by leaving off the bottom nose panel and the gun cover panel. If you decide to close those up, be prepared for some heavy filling and sanding. Another plus is that if you don't want to use the kit markings there's a ton of aftermarket decals available. Please post pics of the Mustang when you finish it! Best of luck, and welcome to the DARK SIDE! :smiley17:

GIL :smiley16:

Good basic P-51D! It hs a nice interior and decent detail in the wheel and gun bay. If you feel up to the detail painting, you'll save youself some assembly trouble by leaving off the bottom nose panel and the gun cover panel. If you decide to close those up, be prepared for some heavy filling and sanding. Another plus is that if you don't want to use the kit markings there's a ton of aftermarket decals available. Please post pics of the Mustang when you finish it! Best of luck, and welcome to the DARK SIDE! :smiley17:

GIL :smiley16:

You lost me with the nose panel and gun cover panel... LMAO See, I'm REALLY green to this! I plan to hit the public library for some serious reference material. Thus far, I've only been able to find pictures of the restored/pristine version of this plane, and I'd like to add some life and weathering to it. Plus, I'm going to make it in a flying position with the gear up, so I need to find those photoetch "propz" I think they're called? They look like the prop is spinning?? I'll definitely be posting in progress pics along the way.

Mike,

BBD is a great aircraft. If you use the kit decals, they have the words "Big Beautiful Doll" in black on the sheet and then again in white. The white letters are supposed to be red, and that goes on first, then put the black letters over it, with a underneath/to the left red shadow (what you see on the box art). Also, be prepared to use a lot of decal solvent to get the checkerboards down! The decals are accurate otherwise. I just glued the nose panel on and decaled over it. Good luck and I can't wait to see it!

Glenn

Jan282008026.jpg