The Driveway Incident

MikeH

LMAO LMAO LMAO Living in North Dakota and this winter's plows have driven me mad... You get the idea. We'll just refer to it as the driveway incident with "hungover Howie Long" driving this beast. I scratchbuilt the shovel and our angry driveway owner started off as a construction worker with his arms in the air and standing vertical. I cut him up and puttied & reglued things to make the stance he's in now.

DSC01834.jpg

DSC01835.jpg

DSC01836.jpg

DSC01837.jpg

I lived this scene twice last week on Tuesday and Wednesday. The piles left by the plow are always higher than the snow level you have just cleared. Frustrating as it is, you have to shovel the new plow-snow asap or it will freeze and thaw and really get heavy. Who knows how much road salt is buried in that snow? And, who want to screw up the underside of the car trying to back through or over the hump? :o

Ed

Or pile up all the salt and sand onto your lawn to ruin it when it melts. Great idea for a diorama and great work!!!

Mark

That has happened to me numerous times while growing up in Michigan, but I would've been killed by my parents if I threw the shovel at the truck!!

Oh yea......THAT'S why I moved back to Florida! :smiley20: What I remember most about those "plowed banks" is that my postal LLV (truck) would NOT go over them if I stopped at the stop sign where the stuff had been piled across the neighborhood side street while clearing the main roads. I had to gun the engine and run the stop sign (slowly) because without the momentum the truck would get stuck. I think the PO tested them in the friggin' desert........That's a GREAT diorama! Wht did you use to make the snow?

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Oh yea......THAT'S why I moved back to Florida! :smiley20: What I remember most about those "plowed banks" is that my postal LLV (truck) would NOT go over them if I stopped at the stop sign where the stuff had been piled across the neighborhood side street while clearing the main roads. I had to gun the engine and run the stop sign (slowly) because without the momentum the truck would get stuck. I think the PO tested them in the friggin' desert........That's a GREAT diorama! Wht did you use to make the snow?

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks guys! Gil - the snow was made using green floral foam to sculpt the main portion, then I used railroad ballast and chopped chunks out of the foam with my tweezer for the chunky effect.

Im so glad I don't what any of you are talking about. Its been 80 degrees here in sunny Southern California. Lucky for me my folks moved from Montreal when I was young so I never had to experience this. Nice job on this one. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Oh man does this hit home. I live this every year here in Vermont. On really bad storms the trucks will come around twice. Once to just clear the road and again after the storm to clean up. My garage is always fully loaded with shovels at the ready.

Chris Graeter

IPMS # 39558

• 3 months later...

Great job on the dio. I really like the scratched shovel.

Here in NYC the second the truck goes by, people are out throwing it back into the street.

For me, I found out by accident that (again here in NYC) if you move onto a one way street, and live on the left side, you'll never be plowed in. All the plows are angled to the right! LOL :D

Edited by KevinK

• 1 month later...

Oh man...been there, and wanted to do that! And like David says, if you don't clear it immediately, that snow and slush left by the plow quickly freezes into a wall of concrete that requires a five-kiloton tactical nuke to break up.

I was "up in da U.P." (Michigan's Upper Penninsula) a few years back in March (it was spring, so there were only three or four feet of snow on the ground) and I got a chuckle out of a sing in front of one business in Sault Ste. Marie. It had one of those built in message boards to advertise specials, but it read "Snowplow Man: This sign cost $500 to repair. DON'T HIT IT AGAIN!"

Steve Nelson

IPMS#30925