CBI OD P-38 named Geronimo II

modlbldralex

Salutations!

I was wondering if anyone knows if an CBI operations Olive Drab P-38 named Geronimo II had it's booms painted w/ green dragon artwork.

I have one picture of this aircraft without dragon artwork on both booms.

Would it be safe to assume all 459th FS, 80th FG early P-38's were painted w/ dragon artwork on each boom?

All assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex

:smiley17:

Geronimo II picture:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/mo...I/GeronimII.jpg

Dragon artwork:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa88/mo...II/459th-2b.jpg

Hi, Alex,

As I type this, I am looking at the painting guide for Geronimo II as found in the Hasegawa 1/48 P-38L Kit #09102 (JT2). The excellent box art and the painting guide (in color) in the box do not indicate any dragon schemes on the booms. The color scheme is basically Olive Drab over Neutral Gray. The markings are pretty basic, with the "81" and "Geronimo II" in yellow. This kit dates from September 1993.

What is interesting on the box art is that the four P-38s in formation (in the background) ALL show the green dragon motif on both sides of the booms. Geronimo II is the only one without the green dragons. Only its prop spinners are painted green.

Hope this helps.

Ed

Hi Alex,

Aeromaster sheet no. 72-027 contains decals for a dragon marked P-38. It is claimed to be named Haleakala II and flown by Lt. H. H. Sealy. It has 12 on the tail. An early Microscale sheet, 72-172 also covered the same airplane. Decals for the mouth are given but the modeler must paint the dragon and the dotted outline himself. The mouth is shown in red by Microscale and black in Aeromaster. Based on your photo, Aeromaster would be more accurate. As complicated as the dragon was, I would guess that not many, if more than one, was painted that way.

EDIT!!!

I just checked an old Squadron Book, Aces of the SW Pacific. They show photos of Walter Duke, Maxwell Glenn, Harry Seely and Willard Webb, all from the 459th. They all have Dragons painted on their aircraft. Duke's airplane was named "Miss V" in the photo.

Obviously, several airplanes of the squadron had the dragon. HTH.

Just to confuse the matter more, the box art on the Hasegawa kit by Koike Shigeo shows the mouth color to be red on all four aircraft depicted. This would lend to an opinion that the Microscale sheet is correct.

Good luck on your build, whichever way you decide to go.

Ed