Paint stir sticks

tomk

What do you use to stir the paint in those small jars? I use plastic coffee stir sticks.

What I do is cut about a 6 inch long section of wire coat hanger and bend a small loop in the end of it - it works great, especially for Floquil paint which always seems to clump down to the bottom of the bottle.

Picture below:

DSC_4608.jpg

I have always used the non-business end of a paint brush. They are always handy and nothing needed to be made.

Mark

Many year ago a member of our club made a few stirrers out of a small ship propellers wedded to straight sections of steel rod. Mine works great in my battery powered drill. :smiley20:

I also use the non-business end of a paint brush to break-up settled paint before stirring.

See you in Phoenix. :smiley17:

I have a small diameter, about 1/8th inch., nylon rod. I think that it came from some old filing cover. It is stiff enough to stir the stuff at the bottom of the bottle and easily wipes clean.

I drop 3-4 BB's in each bottle (ala nail polish) when I open a new one. Been doing it for years with good success. If the paint is so thick that I cant get the BB's free by shaking/banging the bottle it is trash.

Which really brings a good point to mind. If I'm using any volume of paint (more than a 1/4 OZ) I pass it through a filter after thinning before it goes in the paint cup. Just because that buger sized glob us paint is broken up by what ever stiring method you use what prevents those smaller pin sizes globs from spitting out the end of your airbrush?

Which really brings a good point to mind. "If I'm using any volume of paint (more than a 1/4 OZ) I pass it through a filter after thinning before it goes in the paint cup." Just because that buger sized glob us paint is broken up by what ever stiring method you use what prevents those smaller pin sizes globs from spitting out the end of your airbrush?

What do you use as a filtering medium?

I use paper automotive paint filters cut down like the one below. The actual filter portion is only on the tip so I cut them about where I put the red line and there you have a small disposable filter funnel. Automotive parts supply or paint supply. Last time i went to the auto paint supply store, I asked for and they gave me 20 or so free. I have found them online pretty cheap as well but have not needed to purchase any yet.

zpainting_your_carpaint_filter-vi.jpg

• 5 months later...
What do you use to stir the paint in those small jars? I use plastic coffee stir sticks.

I cut a bit of the sprue from the kit I'm making, 4" usually does the trick and you've already paid for it so may as well use it.

I have used the same 3" wood trim finish nail for over ten years. The pointed end digs out the settled paint easily. Cleaning the nail is a simple as a quick wipe with a paper towel soaked with a few drops of thinner. It's ready to go on the next color instantly.

Ed

• 1 month later...
I drop 3-4 BB's in each bottle (ala nail polish) when I open a new one. Been doing it for years with good success. If the paint is so thick that I cant get the BB's free by shaking/banging the bottle it is trash.

Which really brings a good point to mind. If I'm using any volume of paint (more than a 1/4 OZ) I pass it through a filter after thinning before it goes in the paint cup. Just because that buger sized glob us paint is broken up by what ever stiring method you use what prevents those smaller pin sizes globs from spitting out the end of your airbrush?

Me too. Been doing the BB thing as long as I remember. I also have one of those hobby "paint shakers" that REALLY does the job. No matter how long the paint has been on the shelf, with the BBs it will thoroughly mix the paint back to new condition.

I use a Tamiya stirer that is like a smaller edition of the putty spatulas I use. I don't filter the paint.

I use the same thing. They're great for mixing and adding paint by the drop. They also clean up easy.