The "guess Which Sf Classic Game!"

papasmurf

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, guys, the name of the film...

"Primer" from 2004. The film is about a group of guys who accidentally invent a small box (in their garage, of all places) that allows them to send an object back into time. Before long, they develope a large enough 'box' to fit a man and the consequences ensue. This is a great independent film that was made on a 7,000 dollar budget. It takes a few time watching to really get it, but it's a great film!

Among the verbal clues were 'Thinking Outside the Box' (as the time travel 'Box' was a major component of the film), the low budget, and thinking of the film as an 'Introduction' (or 'Primer' if you will) to time travel. In addition, the characters in the movies had to endure consequences of travelling back in time and making changes that affected their lives and friendships.

The picture included clues such as portions of the time travel box and the garage door from the location where the box was developed.

Primer.jpg

New film coming later tonight or tomorrow morning.....

Dune!

That certainly fits the bill, and I can sorta seewhat looks like the Emperor's throneroom in all that gold

OK Guys, new film - not much in the way of clues to begin with other than this is a film that hardcore sci-fi lovers either really hate or that they really love...

wha.jpg

Dune!

That certainly fits the bill, and I can sorta seewhat looks like the Emperor's throneroom in all that gold

Yo're absolutely right it is Dune - really the only verbal clues was that it's one of those love/hate films. I certainly like the film much more than the recent remake (and its following remakes).

This picture is indeed of the throne room with Jose Ferrer as Shaddam IV and Silvana Magano as the Reverend Mother.

The visual clues in the photo were of the throne room background, the throne, the gold trim of the Emporor's uniform, and the bald heads of both the emporor and the Reverend Mother.

leaders.jpg

Another film will be posted later this evening or early tomorrow!

Well done Mr. Corley!!! :smiley20:

Has anybody else ever gotten one on the very first guess of the photo?

I surprised myself! :o

Of course, it helps that I am one of those who happen to love this film, even with all the changes. I went to see it on the opening day back in OKC, and was one of the few who liked it. I like the outtakes in the new anniv. edition even better because they fill in a great number of the holes and would have likely satisfied a majority of the critics who were upset that too much was changed or left out entirely. I have the 23 hours audio book which is great for long car trips, but little else.

I had even wished for the longer version (ala SciFi) but was actually dissappointed when I saw it. The acting wasn't that great in the 6 hour version... and the effects were worse.

We can always hope that "The Sleeper Awakens" will be greater and better than both previous attempts.

The Last Starfighter - kinda looks like the control room on whatever planet they went to

Being a child of the 80's, this was always one of my favorites. It was among the first movies to make extensive use of CGI models. This guess is a strike, however.

last_starfighter.jpg

For the guess, though, I'll reveal another clue. Several of this films sets were reused by another hugely successfull film. This film is widely regarded as a stylistic cult classic.

Mike,

Are you coming to the IPMS MArietta meeting today? It'd be good to see you again!

James

I wish I could James - we are in the midst of wedding planning (the big date is on 12/20) and I have been swamped with things to do - I'm hoping to get by the shop one day this week though - I'm still trying to get my hands on that new Dragon Tiger I Late with Zimmerit!

OK, guys, the name of the film was 1998's 'Dark City' - a very good, very stylistic film with set design inspired by German Expressionst films like Metropolis. As a matter of fact, several of Dark City's sets were reused in 'The Matrix'. You could consider the films very similar in how they deal with the characters' sense of being and reality...

1028d1141066493-march-movie-dark-city-darkcity.jpg

I did throw one incredibly obvious clue in one of my posts about it getting down to the '11th Hour'. If you'll remember, star of this film is Rufus Sewell who currently stars in CBS's remake of the British '11th Hour' series...

I wish I could James - we are in the midst of wedding planning (the big date is on 12/20) and I have been swamped with things to do - I'm hoping to get by the shop one day this week though - I'm still trying to get my hands on that new Dragon Tiger I Late with Zimmerit!

I'll put one back for you.

OK, Ladies - a new film today. This one is another one of those films that has a strong 'undergound' following that was not widely released in theaters. A clue? Two actors who appeared in this film have recently starred together in a hit TV series.

whatthe.jpg

HEY!!! HEY YOU PLAYERS, WASSSUP? NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY WITH MIKEY?? :smiley25:

If you don't show some interest in the game, I'm going to have to come back, and "rock your socks" kiddies...........

20 rounds, tough stuff, but BIG prize, now play nice, or the evil "Blue One", is going to return with a vengeance!

I was afraid of this, he's too good, he knows the "stuff" too well, you are all "intimidated" a tad, thought so......heck, he's better than I am!

C'mon people, I'm trying to finish this frakkin' Voyager project!!

Posting final ,"before masking" lighted shots of the roughed build, in the "Peek" thread..........in "Masking Hell" presently.......... :smiley26: ...so you "Feel My Pain"...... :smiley28: