The "guess Which Sf Classic Game!"

papasmurf

WITH AN HOUR TO SPARE, WELL DONE MIKE!!!! INDEED, KEPT SAYING "DARK" IN MANY HINTS, NO ONE SEEMS TO HAVE CAUGHT IT, UNTIL NOW!!! :smiley20::smiley20:

THE SCENE IS A "DREAM SEQUENCE", MIKE D HAD THAT RIGHT, WHERE DONNY, AND FRIEND, INCLUDING THAT PSYCHO LOOKING, TIME TRAVELLING, RABBIT, ARE IN A FILM THEATER, IN A BW SEQUENCE.

VERBAL CLUES MORE OBVIOUS NOW, TOOK PLACE AROUND HALLOWEEN, HENCE THE GUY IN THE RABBIT COSTUME. THE ACTRESS WHO PLAYS THE PRESIDENT IN BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, PLAYS DONNY'S MOM, THE TALENTED MARY MCDONELL.

AN EXCELLENT AND DISTURBING FILM!! :smiley15:

WELL PLAYED MIKE!! :smiley20: HAPPY YOU WON ANOTHER ROUND!! :smiley17:

donniedarko-783075.jpg

ANOTHER IMAGE FIRST THING TOMORROW, TOO MUCH STUFF TO TAKE CARE OF TONIGHT, UNTIL THEN.....THANKS FOR PLAYING ALL! :smiley20:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies to date

1. This Island Earth.

2. The Day of the Triffids.

3. Dark Star. ***

4. The Man who Fell to Earth.

5. Solaris.

6. Colossus - The Forbin Project.

7. Liquid Sky.

8. The Green Slime.

9. Omega Man

10. The Illustrated Man.***

11. Phantom of the Paradise.

12. A Boy and His Dog.

13. Demon Seed

14. Event Horizon

15. Pan's Labyrinth

16. Fantastic Planet

17. The Satan Bug

18. In Like Flint

19. The American Way***

20. Donnie Darko

21. (Coming soon)

*** - Unguessed. Counted as Simon's Points - 3

Guesses/Wins

Dave M 29/5

Paul B 3/0

Don C 1/0

Mike D 23/9

Kevin I 1/1

Gnat 1/0

Mike L 16/2

Ken L 2/0

Ed W 5/0

James K 2/0

Robert B 1/0

Jim C 7/0

Total 83/17

Mike

Heard about that, I agree, it's really not a film you could follow up on, as it was a tale that was well told, and had permanent closure. New image presently being worked on, will post in a few moments...................... :smiley15:

Ok players! Our next round begins! A new image for your consideration posted below!

No clues given at this time! :smiley15:

no_idea-398x376.jpg

Good luck, and let the games begin!! :smiley20::smiley20:

It looks like a cheap 50s space suit to me... that narrows it down! :wacko:

Let's try "Flight to Mars" as it was pretty corny and filled with five silver space suited actors for the "crossing" to the red planet.

Ok players! Our next round begins! A new image for your consideration posted below!

No clues given at this time! :smiley15:

no_idea-398x376.jpg

Good luck, and let the games begin!! :smiley20::smiley20:

OOPS! WRONG PLANET!! First clue, it's an "Earthbound" film, sorry..............STRIKE!! :smiley15:

Thanks for becoming a "regular" player jcorley!! :smiley20:

flight.jpg

Yep, pretty corny all right, but these films led to the far better ones, gotta start somewhere!

OOPS! WRONG PLANET!! First clue, it's an "Earthbound" film, sorry..............STRIKE!! :smiley15:

I had lurked for a long time, but then stareted to get the hang of it.

Hopefully, you're not being cute and it is actually the 1981 Burl Ives blockbuster "Earthbound" or even the later David Hyde Pierce smash hit "Mating Habits Of The Earthbound Human" from 1999.

Now for a guess....

"Teenagers from Outer Space" (fading echo: space.. space... space.... )

I don't really think it is, total longshot IMO, but it was a funny movie... attack of the lobstermen!! Zoidberg!!!!

Nope, wouldn't be "cute" or that obvious, not with Mike D lurking about somewhere, huh, huh......... :smiley15:

That's a STRIKE!! :smiley15:

The film could easily be called Fantasy, and it deals with all sorts of paranoia.........yep, that's a clue. :unsure:

242.jpg

Man, that's a really freaky film, so bizarre, it's undescribable...............but a STRIKE!! :smiley15:

key_art_naked_lunch.jpg

BURROUGHS was a hard-core "Junk" addict, heroin, methadone, opiates, whatever......it reflects in his extremely bizarre written work. :smiley34:

nakedlunch.jpg

One of the "tame" scenes of this film.............. :smiley5:

After the week I had, absolutely! :smiley17:

Kidding aside, ......STRIKE!! :smiley15:

braindead.jpg

Gore galore, nasty lil' film............... :blink:

deals with all sorts of paranoia.........yep, that's a clue.

Hmm, earthbound spacesuits (maybe?) causing paranoia.... that narrows it down to just about every scifi film of the 50s! :smiley16:

Don't forget to include just about half of those from the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and now!

And on an unrelated note: I've been reading about some upcoming SciFi films, and Ridley Scott wants to turn one of my alltime fav books into a movie - Joe Haldeman's Forever Wars!! I just hope the movie is made closer to the book than my most dissappointing fav book made yet, Starship Troopers. Apparently JMS wants to remake Forbidden Planet... it'll be hard to top.

Interesting....if you want to get further into that, start a post in the open discussion SF forum, been quiet there lately. I really don't care for remakes of classics, usually disappointing, and kind of an insult to the original, IMHO, I think many will agree on that.

Kind of like the Colorization issue of classic BW films, "Citizen Kane", and other magnificent films, by top-notch directors, were filmed that way, and like Hitchcock, used the BW effects in a very special way. What use is it to colorize a "Filme Noire"? Most of the Directors of those films, and many of the Directors considered the best of our time, feel it's a degradation of the Director's true intent.

There are so many good stories yet untold, why rehash what was already done to perfection?

Good examples of bad remakes are of "War of the Worlds", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and many others.

"Psycho" in color, wouldn't have the same chilling effect as the original, at all. It would be just another "Slasher" film, and there are so many of those already. The BW nuances, in that fantastic film, were skillfully and artistically conceived, and gave the film a really creepy feel.

It's an ongoing argument in the realm, and a matter of opinion, but I prefer to see the "real" versions, as they were meant to be seen.

Hollywood needs a new batch of creative input, look what they did with "Planet of the Apes". The first one was amazing, the slew of sequels were a joke! Kind of ruined it in my mind, but again, just my opinion. :smiley24:

Interesting....if you want to get further into that, start a post in the open discussion SF forum, been quiet there lately. I really don't care for remakes of classics, usually disappointing, and kind of an insult to the original, IMHO, I think many will agree on that.

Kind of like the Colorization issue of classic BW films, "Citizen Kane", and other magnificent films, by top-notch directors, were filmed that way, and like Hitchcock, used the BW effects in a very special way. What use is it to colorize a "Filme Noire"? Most of the Directors of those films, and many of the Directors considered the best of our time, feel it's a degradation of the Director's true intent.

There are so many good stories yet untold, why rehash what was already done to perfection?

Good examples of bad remakes are of "War of the Worlds", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", and many others.

"Psycho" in color, wouldn't have the same chilling effect as the original, at all. It would be just another "Slasher" film, and there are so many of those already. The BW nuances, in that fantastic film, were skillfully and artistically conceived, and gave the film a really creepy feel.

It's an ongoing argument in the realm, and a matter of opinion, but I prefer to see the "real" versions, as they were meant to be seen.

Hollywood needs a new batch of creative input, look what they did with "Planet of the Apes". The first one was amazing, the slew of sequels were a joke! Kind of ruined it in my mind, but again, just my opinion. :smiley24:

I can think of worse things.... Sitting through Battlefield Earth, perhaps? (That's not a guess by the way)

I "pulled out", of permanent brain damage, 15 minutes into it, thankfully! :smiley17:

Truly an awful film, beyond bad............... :smiley11: ........... :smiley21:

Even "Plan 9 from Outer Space", considered the "Worst SF film of all time" gave you a few giggles, this offense to the art of filmaking, wasn't even a laugh.

nuff' said :mellow:

JUST IN CASE THE SITE GOES DOWN AGAIN, RED ALERT BOB HESTER!!! JUST GOT 4 IPS DRIVER ALERTS, TRYING TO VISIT THE FORUM, IN CASE WE LOSE COMMUNICATIONS AGAIN, THIS IS TO LET YOU KNOW AS IT JUST HAPPENED IN THE LAST FEW MINUTES!!! :smiley34:

NOW, HOPEFULLY, BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMING.................... :smiley25:

Seems to have calmed down now, no more error pages popping up......whew! :smiley20:

Today's clue, the film was released during the "Cold War" era, lots of paranoia in those days!! :smiley15:

Oh, and another little clue, the film is a Fantasy as I stated before, but has comedic overtones as well. :smiley15: Now some guesses please players............

..........AND ANOTHER........STRIKE!! :smiley15:

It_The_Terror_From_Beyond_Space03.jpg

Not a great film there Dave, stinko-deluxe!!

Great film! But unfortunately............a STRIKE! :smiley15:

DOES FIT THE DESCRIPTION CLUES, BUT THAT ISN'T IT!! :smiley19:

drstrangelove.jpg