The "guess Which Sf Classic Game!"

papasmurf

IT'S A "CLASSIC", YOUR GONNA KICK YOURSELVES WHEN YOU FIND OUT......FAIR WARNING....... :smiley15:

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slaughterhouse 5

Dave

Mike and Dave, my "Wunderkids", both.......so wrong......STRIKES!! :smiley19: ......... :smiley15:

Good God guys, it's a brilliant film, look at the verbal clues, the image, it's so obvious........... :smiley22: !

S5 is an all-time favorite, Kurt was a genius all through his writing days, I've read everything he ever wrote, amazing talent.

vonnegut_slaughterhouse_five.jpg

Read this at 13, blew my lil' mind......... :smiley22:

OK Players, times up....a "stumper" on your heads!! :smiley15:

The movie was "The Illustrated Man", written by Ray Bradbury, and starring Rod Steiger, and Claire Bloom, in various roles, in a three part story. All connected by the illustrated Man, who's tattoo's tell tales, if you stare at them. Image revealed the spartan, modern home, of the characters in the first tale, "The Veldt". Both characters can be made out a bit, very little of the view screen, as that would have given it away quickly. The set was the hint, a multi level design not seen in many films.

Verbal clues were lines from the film, as well as some obvious comments on a "Great" actor, who passed recently.

A truly outstanding Fantasy/SF blend, and still great to watch after many decades!!

Another image will pop up tomorrow, Smurf's off for the night.......... :smiley16:

illustratedman-600x282.jpg

Remember now players........?

Movies to date

1. This Island Earth.

2. The Day of the Triffids.

3. Dark Star. ***

4. The Man who Fell to Earth.

5. Solaris.

6. Colossus - The Forbin Project.

7. Liquid Sky.

8. The Green Slime.

9. Omega Man

10. The Illustrated Man.***

11.(coming soon)

*** - Unguessed.

Guesses/Wins

Dave M 20/3

Paul B 3/0

Don C 1/0

Mike D 9/3

Kevin I 1/1

Gnat 1/0

Mike L 8/1

Ken L 2/0

Ed W 3/0

James K 2/0

Total 50/8

Mike

Yeah, I would have never gotten that one either. I remember reading the book three or four times but I never saw the movie.

The list above is gonna be my next rental shopping list. I gotta see some of these movies!

Nope, no kicking here. . . I still wouldn't get it. . .

Mike

It's one of the greatest SF films ever! The "interludes" with the crazed tatooed vagrant, and the young man, lead to visions of the future, dark and surreal. His "hunt" of decades, for the "Lady" in the tatoo parlor, who turned him into a human canvas, makes him enraged, at a humanity shocked by the visions, brought on by his "skin illustrations".

A powerful film, and one of Steiger's most incredible performances! One of Bradbury's greatest works as well, in my humble opinion.

I've seen this film many times, the verbal clues alone, would have tipped off anyone who really enjoyed this movie, regardless of the image.

The film has 3, of the 18 short stories, that make up the written work Bradbury wrote in 1951. Future adaptations of some of these stories, are slotted for production in the next year or so.........

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it!! :smiley20::smiley20:

IllustratedMan.jpg

ill_man5.jpg

timi1.jpg

Awesome film!!! :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Ok Players, next round begins today, the image below for your consideration and....a clue!

This is in the 60's, to the late 70's time-range, and produced a musical score of very high quality.

Let the games begin............... :smiley15:

what_in2.jpg

Silent Running

Dave

Bruce Dern was "phenomenal" in that, and the three bot's just broke your heart...but silently so...........strike.... :smiley15:

Silent_Running_Poster.jpg

OK, quiet around here..........a clue for a guess, today only! :smiley15:

The Director of this film, is well known, for very "Dark" subject matter and themes, in his films.

A few guys like this, but not an endless list....... :smiley15:

A guess, a clue, but TODAY only! :smiley22:

Oh, and a rule implementation to make it a bit more challenging. If I stump you all 10 times, before a player guesses 10 times correctly, no prize kit issued.

We start a new set of rounds for the "Prize".

Adds the element of "me vs. you"! :smiley2:

You've seen me "slip up" a few times, so I can be beaten at "my own game", you just have to outguess all others, and lil ol' me, before I stump you ten times! :ph34r:

I am considering making the prize, more "interesting", as well, a much more valuable kit, perhaps, the Marco Tricorder in the Sales section? Who knows? It's all up to you, my valliant combatants.

My aim is to make this the most replied, viewed, whatever, thread, on the entire Forum. We're number #2, overall, right now, I think if we all really "kick butt" here, it would certainly make me want to give you an increased desire to win!!

Just part of my master plan to rule the WORLD!!!! :lol: Egotistical lil' bugger ain't I!! :P

Now, let's resume our "little" game....shall we....... B)

Stuff Happens.........

Sorry Dude, already been a choice, I don't repeat films, always something new, Dave tried that one already....... :smiley15: ....Strike! And that counts as a "clue", hehehehe............ :smiley15:

darkstar6.jpg

"Let there be light......" :smiley22:

2001: A Space Odyssey

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Good-bye!" :smiley15:

Stanley gave us some GREAT music here. Stanley liked "dark" subject matter. Stanley never repeated subjects.

And, of course, way to simplistic a guess for such a set of devious clues. So gimme my strike! :smiley18:

Ed

Lovely stuff indeed Ed, but sadly, a Strike!!! :smiley15:

As you got that in just "under the wire" on Sunday,.....a clue! :smiley31:

This film has SF elements, but is a Fantasy, with Horror overtones, after all, this is the SF and FANTASY section! :smiley32:

Now, "Shall we play a game?" :blink:

dfmp_0054_2001_a_space_odyssey_1968.jpg

Just 'cause I said "Shall we play a game?" didn't mean it was a clue Dave, gotcha!

Steeeerike!! :smiley15:

Muhahahahahaha.................... :lol:

"War Games" isn't a "Fantasy", it's SF with reality overtones........... :P

That's the fighting spirit Mike! :smiley20:

Mental note: The stats-keeper has treachery in play.................watch him! :ph34r:

Potential Cylon Agent, with Smurf-hating tendencies......interesting............... :smiley15:

AAwright..........jeez.........a clue.......... :smiley13:

The film produced an excellent album, with music from many talented artists, (happen to have been the very first LP I purchased as a youngling........ :smiley15: ...second one was, Alice Cooper's "Welcome to my Nightmare".) :unsure:

OK guys, Welcome to My Nightmare came out in about 1975 and if that was the second LB he bought, then this unknown film had to be released prior to 75 by my logic (provided he bought Welcome to My Nightmare around the time it came out). So, that narrows the time period from 1960 to 1975 for this film.

With that said, I still have no idea what it is