OMG! Are these really models???

Rusty White

Check this out! This guy built all the models in the foreground AND the structures in the immediate background. Sometimes he shows you in B&W the photos of the real stuff he used for inspiration. This is the best photography work on models I have ever seen. Enjoy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24796741@N05/...ith/2346008881/

At the risk of sounding like a real cynic, some of those models look suspiciously similar to some of the Franklin and Danbury Mint models in my collection- especially the Borden Divco and the Plymouth Fury Convertible. If he is claiming to have built these-and I am not sure that he is- he is the best auto modeler in the world. What makes me wonder is the level of consistency in the finish of each, not to mention that the paint schemes are familiar to anyone who collects or window-shops these die-casts. If I am wrong, I apologize! Nick Filippone

I have seen this before. Yes, these are beautiful models. As for his consistency, I believe it is possible. There is a guy on the LEM who builds cars, and every now and then he'll show a series of car bodies he'd painted. (8-11 at a time) His car bodies are all consistent and are all clean, shiny, and gorgeous! He is the most consistently awesome builder I've ever seen.

At the risk of sounding like a real cynic, some of those models look suspiciously similar to some of the Franklin and Danbury Mint models in my collection- especially the Borden Divco and the Plymouth Fury Convertible. If he is claiming to have built these-and I am not sure that he is- he is the best auto modeler in the world. What makes me wonder is the level of consistency in the finish of each, not to mention that the paint schemes are familiar to anyone who collects or window-shops these die-casts. If I am wrong, I apologize! Nick Filippone

I can only go by by what I was told in the email sent to me. As an architectural model builder I am very impressed with his structures. The auto models, built by him or not, are very impressive, but that's neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned. I posted it here because of this guy's amazing photography skills. Absolutely fantastic the way he seamlessly blends the far background and his near "modeled" backgrounds. Note how he added the electric lines and telephone poles in some of his photos. It adds so much more realism and ties it to the background seamlessly. Great work.

• 2 months later...

There's an option for comments during the slideshow, and he notes that most of these shots were done as promos for Precision Diecast Models.

The photography is amazing...I'd love to pick this guy's brain and learn his techniques/settings.

Jeff

I agree completely. When I look at the photos, the scene looks real and life-like. So what if some of the models are die cast. I have a few of them in my collection. The photos are fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I too would like to pick his brain how he got these shots. He must have used a pinhole camera. There was an article in Model Railroader magazine back in the 'late 70'S-80's on how to make one. I'll have to look up the issue, but with a pinhole camera, you can focus on the model and the background and it gives perspective in focus. If you use a zoom lens, it blurs the background and makes things flat. A pinhole changes the depth of field without changing the focus of near objects. It's a whole science, will have to find the issue to explain it in detail. The Pictures are fantastic no matter how you look at them.

A long time ago, I bought a pinhole lens (about $30, IIRC) from the AJ Fricko company. It was custom made for my 35mm SLR Olympus OM-2 camera. A little tricky to set up the shots, but they do look great. Haven't messed with that for a while.

• 7 months later...
  • 10 years later...
On 2/3/2010 at 8:10 PM, Nick Filippone said:

That is not big secret or sleigh of hand he does use pre-made diecast but that does not mean the work is inferior at all.  I've not seen such wonderful work before.