Minicraft 1/144 B-24J Liberator

Hanson

This aircraft was crewed by the father of one of my employee's. His Dad passed away when he was very young, and he didn't know much about him. Recently, some folks in the UK contacted him about a memorial they were setting up for the 392nd Bomb Group, and his plane in particular. Seems this aircraft crashed, killing all but his Dad and one of the waist gunners. He shared a lot of the story with me, forwarding me some the emails he'd been getting because he knew my interest in history. On my own I contacted the group in the UK and asked if they could send me some info on the plane so I could build a model and gift it to my friend. They were able to share quite a bit of information, including a photo of the nose art (Kentucky Baby), which I was able to replicate in Photoshop (made easier by the fact they the crew had plagiarized a Vargas pinup). Anyway, here it is, after months of waiting for info and work...

b24finished-8.jpg

b24finished-10.jpg

Another nice build Mike - how did do the base plaque? It adds so much to the presentation!

Another nice build Mike - how did do the base plaque? It adds so much to the presentation!

Wood base came from the craft store, I stained and varnished it. The 'concrete' is simply two sheets of card stock, on cut to fit the base and the other cut into squares for the concrete, then painted to look right. The 'plaque' portion is really, really simple - after creating what I wanted to see in Photoshop, it was printed onto heavy, glossy photo paper. I then cut it out, sprayed it with photo adhesive and mounted it to the base. Then drilled a small hole for the 8th Air Force enamel pin I picked up at the Mighty Eighth Museum. I've actually got less than $20 in the whole thing, including the kit! :smiley17: