Iwata Airbrush

thenderson

Hello,

I have heard so many great things about them, I broke down and purchased an Iwata Eclipse at the Hobbytown USA stand at the Nats.

I read the instructions, and am not sure what to do after reading the after operation cleaning section - all it says to do is run thinner through it until it comes out clear....and a short section on cleaning the needle.

Really? That seems way too easy. I am used to disassembling and cleaning the nozzle, cone and needle (and the cup, or course) on the old Pasche H1 after every use.

Thought I would ask before I use it for the first time.

Also, what lubricant should I use?

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to help me out.

Regards,

Tom

It really is that easy, but I'm anal and I break down my HP-CS every time I switch colors. It really does look like the day I bought it. As far as lubricating it, I just followed the instructions and used the MEdea brand lubricant.

The following is NOT Iwata specific...

A clean airbrush is next to godliness to paraphrase...but (if you see the lack of organization on our benches) practicality often prevails! I've had 4-5 different brands of brushes over 30 years time. NONE have ever "died" from being too dirty. In fact, a couple "died" from excessive breakdown and the loss or damage of a seal!

The direct consequence of a dirty airbrush is poor paint delivery. If you're not getting the results you want from your brush, and you've tried every "control" (paint viscosity, air pressure, water vapor control, etc.); then you most likely need to break the brush down for a thourough cleaning.

Short of that, I simply run laquer thinner through the brush after each color, and swab the cup and tip with a Q-tip dipped in clean thinner. I generally do a more thourough cleaning after finishing a build (model's done). At that time I'll remove the tip, inspect the air ports and ream them out with a wire, and remove the needle and wipe it down. I NEVER break down the body/air assembly sections short of a major malfunction (nothing's working!).

If you're a more careful and deliberate person, you may want to clean yours more often; and chances are you'll get better paint jobs than I do! However, I find most manufacturers recommend excessive cleaning as a way to avoid reports of problems. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Hello,

I have heard so many great things about them, I broke down and purchased an Iwata Eclipse at the Hobbytown USA stand at the Nats.

I read the instructions, and am not sure what to do after reading the after operation cleaning section - all it says to do is run thinner through it until it comes out clear....and a short section on cleaning the needle.

Really? That seems way too easy. I am used to disassembling and cleaning the nozzle, cone and needle (and the cup, or course) on the old Pasche H1 after every use.

Thought I would ask before I use it for the first time.

Also, what lubricant should I use?

Thanks in advance to anyone who decides to help me out.

Regards,

Tom