Another BlitzBau

JohnRatzenberger

If it's January, it's Blitzbau time on the UAMF. A Blitzbau is a 24-hour build, although there is a wuss option to split in 2 parts and not go straight through -- I take that option, but call it the senior citizen option.

In the past I've done 144 CBK airliners, this year it's a 1/72 CBK airliner ...

100123-0900_s.jpg

You can track the progress here. http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535

I'm done today and will pick up in the morning.

If it's January, it's Blitzbau time on the UAMF. A Blitzbau is a 24-hour build, although there is a wuss option to split in 2 parts and not go straight through -- I take that option, but call it the senior citizen option.

In the past I've done 144 CBK airliners, this year it's a 1/72 CBK airliner ...

100123-0900_s.jpg

You can track the progress here. http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=11535

I'm done today and will pick up in the morning.

John,

That is one nasty looking cup of coffee!

That's not coffee... it's either a "wash" for the motors or its prune juice for the builder.

Hey! I recognize that old kit! I got it as a "present" from my mother-in-law in the early '80's (yea, the witch KNEW I didn't build 1/72 :smiley15: ). I took it to the Dayton kit auction about 1985 and a feeding frenzy occured. Turns out it was out of production and a bidding war resulted! That little ol' Trimotor went for $11, which was twice the going rate of 1/48 kits in those days! AH, sweet revenge! :smiley20:

GIL :smiley16:

Well, I get a complete, but am not totally happy about it. Final stats: 23.30 clock hours of which about 18 were actual modeling time.

(If you follow the thread you'll see problems with nacelles and struts, and then the decals -- this is my self-review.)

The kit is actually OK -- as I noted throughout, it fits but lacks locator pins to help the process, particularly while assembling the fuselage sides, top, and bottom. The instructions, particularly around step 32 where one is supposedly assembling the nacelles and mounting them -- well, I simply could not understand them and the exploded diagram was of no use. There is also a minor glitch around the heater -- the instructions say to make holes if you want it, but the holes are already there. Probably the only other thing to watch is mounting the exhaust ring to the nose engine, being sure you can get the engine firmly mounted on the fuselage. The trailing edges are way too thick and the corrugations a bit heavy.

100125-done3_s.jpg

My two errors. First and foremost, was not prepping ahead of time to possibly uncover the trouble spot with the nacelle and struts. That cost me several hours, which I would have had available if I hadn't been doing real life things. Second, was that I should have realized the decals were going to fail on me. I'm sure there are aftermarket items somewhere and I should have gone looking -- it's not like this was a last minute event.

Oh, well, all my choices …. no biggie. For the next Blitzbau, I need to think simplicity …. but then I said that last time ...

100125-done2_s.jpg

So, at this point, I am undecided. I might strip these decals, fix up some flaws, and try to find some aftermarket, and/or I'll drag my 2nd copy out of stash and try to figure what I did wrong on the nacelles, etc, and find some decent decals.

It does look good, on its stand, in flight. The windows are big enough that some pax & stews ought to be added. I'm happy with the way Barney & Fred in the cockpit came out -- too bad about the glass (and my lack of effort to attempt cleaning). It wouldn't take much to add the few pieces of rigging to this, in particular a representation of the control cables on the very prominent arms on the outside of the fuselage.

Well done! It makes me happy to see someone finish a tri-motor in American livery....just like my grandfather used to fly! It took you about as long to build it as it would take the real thing to fly coast to coast.