Maddog Manufacturing's 2010 Factory Tour Updated 12/21!

Mark Deliduka

Duke,

Love everything that you have done. I really like the wood grain finish on the german halftrack. What tech. are you using? It looks so real.

Great job, thanks for sharing.

Chris

Thanks Chris. The woodgrain is done by first painting the area with Testor's "wood" color. Then I take the Testor's gloss brown in the little square bottle (the darker brown) and, using a coarse brush, I paint over the wood, making sure that it doesn't completely cover it. Fairly simple technique I picked up from a friend.

Thanks again for the comment and thanks for checking this out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone!

Well, my nephew has gone back home and I took a day to get some work done on many different models that I've wanted to get done. I have so many so close to the finish line it's aggravating that they are still unfinished.

Anyway, I'm getting closer. I'll start with my armor. I got my three LAV's all completed with all the fiddly bits and the final basecoat. All I have to do now is paint the camo pattern before adding the wheels:

WIPLAVATIII.jpg

WIPLAVCIII.jpg

WIPLAVRIII.jpg

Next, I finally got the top put on my German halftrack. I had to glue it in sections or it would have had big gaps in the sides. Now it only has little gaps in the sides:

WIPHalftrackXIII.jpg

Next, my two BRDM's are also completed with their wheels on and the final glosscoat ready for decals:

WIPBRDMIe.jpg

WIPGaskinsVIII.jpg

And finally, I got my Russian Radar truck all ready for decals. Here it is with all the detail parts painted and the glosscoat on it waiting for decals:

WIPRadarTruckV.jpg

Now armor wasn't all I was working on. I also managed to get some work completed on several aircraft I'd started.

I'll start with my three civilian planes I've been working on. I've been wanting to have this whole collection of civilian planes completed for awhile now. It looks like I'm getting close.

Here's my Piper Cherokee all ready for the coat of white:

WIPNewPiperCherokeeII.jpg

The Piper Aztec is also almost ready for a coat of white. I just need to mask off the windows first:

WIPNewPiperAztecII.jpg

The third one is the Cessna Skymaster. I finally got the red on it and it is also ready for decals:

WIPCessnaSkymasterVII.jpg

Next I finally got a coat of silver on my Sabrejet that I am happy with. This one will be decaled soon:

WIPSabreJetsVII.jpg

WIPSabreJetsVIII.jpg

Happily, Airfix came through with the clear parts I needed for my Catalina. They have now been installed and I'm trying to put the fuselage together. This beast is so warped that I'll have to glue it in stages. This is the pic where the first stage (nose section) is already glued. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I can glue some more:

WIPPBYCatII.jpg

And finally, I have the fuselage assembled and the wings and tail on my B-25. Next is to finish the nacelles and get them mounted on this plane:

WIPB25MitchelllIII.jpg

Well that is all for now. I know I haven't been getting many comments, but maybe that's because you all are too overwhelmed to write anything. Still, comments are welcome. The more I get the more and faster I build.

Thanks all for looking in!

Hello everyone!

Well, my nephew has gone back home and I took a day to get some work done on many different models that I've wanted to get done. I have so many so close to the finish line it's aggravating that they are still unfinished.

Anyway, I'm getting closer. I'll start with my armor. I got my three LAV's all completed with all the fiddly bits and the final basecoat. All I have to do now is paint the camo pattern before adding the wheels:

WIPLAVATIII.jpg

WIPLAVCIII.jpg

WIPLAVRIII.jpg

Next, I finally got the top put on my German halftrack. I had to glue it in sections or it would have had big gaps in the sides. Now it only has little gaps in the sides:

WIPHalftrackXIII.jpg

Next, my two BRDM's are also completed with their wheels on and the final glosscoat ready for decals:

WIPBRDMIe.jpg

WIPGaskinsVIII.jpg

And finally, I got my Russian Radar truck all ready for decals. Here it is with all the detail parts painted and the glosscoat on it waiting for decals:

WIPRadarTruckV.jpg

Now armor wasn't all I was working on. I also managed to get some work completed on several aircraft I'd started.

I'll start with my three civilian planes I've been working on. I've been wanting to have this whole collection of civilian planes completed for awhile now. It looks like I'm getting close.

Here's my Piper Cherokee all ready for the coat of white:

WIPNewPiperCherokeeII.jpg

The Piper Aztec is also almost ready for a coat of white. I just need to mask off the windows first:

WIPNewPiperAztecII.jpg

The third one is the Cessna Skymaster. I finally got the red on it and it is also ready for decals:

WIPCessnaSkymasterVII.jpg

Next I finally got a coat of silver on my Sabrejet that I am happy with. This one will be decaled soon:

WIPSabreJetsVII.jpg

WIPSabreJetsVIII.jpg

Happily, Airfix came through with the clear parts I needed for my Catalina. They have now been installed and I'm trying to put the fuselage together. This beast is so warped that I'll have to glue it in stages. This is the pic where the first stage (nose section) is already glued. Maybe tomorrow or the next day I can glue some more:

WIPPBYCatII.jpg

And finally, I have the fuselage assembled and the wings and tail on my B-25. Next is to finish the nacelles and get them mounted on this plane:

WIPB25MitchelllIII.jpg

Well that is all for now. I know I haven't been getting many comments, but maybe that's because you all are too overwhelmed to write anything. Still, comments are welcome. The more I get the more and faster I build.

Thanks all for looking in!

I can see some models you guys are doing but some threads I only get red x's. any idea why?

Yes, those pics with red X's were posted on a Gallery at the League of Extraordinary Modelers site. They have since upgraded the gallery over there and one of the casualties was all the work in progress pics that I used to have there. Now I have to use Photobucket; which to me, compared to the old LEM gallery, is a step down.

Don't worry. Most of the red X pics are of progress pics on models that are already done. Thanks for posting, I appreciate all comments.

Yes, those pics with red X's were posted on a Gallery at the League of Extraordinary Modelers site. They have since upgraded the gallery over there and one of the casualties was all the work in progress pics that I used to have there. Now I have to use Photobucket; which to me, compared to the old LEM gallery, is a step down.

Don't worry. Most of the red X pics are of progress pics on models that are already done. Thanks for posting, I appreciate all comments.

Thank you Mark, I thought it may have been my cookies disabled but then again I ate them all. :smiley14:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments. Gil, it's always great seeing you stop in.

James glad to help. I could've used a few cookies myself. Taste great while modeling!

I ate an entire bag of Oreo's last night working on a Panzer III. :blink: Too bad ModelKasten doesn't team up with Tamiya and provide their track links in the box.

I ate an entire bag of Oreo's last night working on a Panzer III. :blink: Too bad ModelKasten doesn't team up with Tamiya and provide their track links in the box.

Thanks for the reply. My apologies for taking so long to answer. Computer problems cropped up.

Maybe someone should mention it to Tamiya.

Stay tuned, more to come...

Okay, even though I haven't had too many comments, I'm posting anyway. I got quite a lot done and I love keeping all you guys informed as to how things are going.

Okay, the next time you see these first seven models, they will be FINISHED! Here they are in no particular order.

My Russian SA-9 Gaskin and BRDM I are decaled and washed. Next is the dullcoat and weathering:

WIPBRDMIf.jpg

WIPGaskinsIX.jpg

The next one is my Russian Radar truck. Now this has no decals in the kit, nor is there any indication it had any markings. That seems kind of plain to me, so I'm considering finding some decals and adding them to it. I'll probably do some research first though. Until then, this one has been washed, and now needs a dullcoat and weathering. Note the soldier next to it to show how big this monster really is:

WIPRadarTruckVI.jpg

Now on to my Marine Corps LAV's. Here they are, camoe'd, glosscoated, decaled and washed. Next for them is dullcoat, wheels and weathering:

WIPLAVATIV.jpg

WIPLAVCIV.jpg

WIPLAVRIV.jpg

The last one you will see finished is the German halftrack that I've been fighting all this time. Wheels and tracks are on it. Now to add the rear doors, detail parts and camouflage pattern as well as some touch-up painting. After that, a glosscoat, decals, dullcoat and weathering will see this finished up:

WIPHalftrackXIV.jpg

This last one still has a ways to go. It is my ERC 90. I need to fabricate turret baskets for the sides of the turret now since none were included in the kit. (The instructions say to make them from wire...NOT going to happen!) I'll make my attempt with stretched sprue. Once the baskets are done and installed, this will be ready for basecoat:

WIPERC90II.jpg

Okay, that completes all my armor. Now on to my aircraft.

Where do I start? Gee, I guess with the easy stuff. My two Pipers are fully basecoated in white:

WIPNewPiperCherokeeIII.jpg

WIPNewPiperAztecIII.jpg

Next I tried to apply the decals to my Sabre. I got some of the stencils on...

WIPSabreJetsIX.jpg

WIPSabreJetsX.jpg

...and then ran into a major problem. I'd soaked the yellow and black fuselage stripe and when I went to add it to the model I found this:

WIPSabreJetsXI.jpg

:smiley18::smiley7::smiley7:

Now I'm fed up with this model already. This one and the Japanese one I was supposed to be building alongside it have been giving me nothing but problems all this time. I've decided that enough is enough; I'm building this without the stupid yellow stripes on the wings and fuselage. It may be inaccurate, but I've had it! I'm not going to go through the hassle of trying to paint them on since painting yellow is tough enough. On this model, that is tantamount to setting up a full blown catastrophe. I'm just going to add the rest of the decals and that's it! I've already applied a layer of decal film to all the rest of the decals on the sheet to insure this doesn't happen again!

Onwards we go....

I am pleased with these next two. My B-25 Mitchell is now on it's 'pegs'. I want to add the clear parts (except the waist windows) and then mask and shoot a basecoat on this one next:

WIPB25MitchelllIV.jpg

WIPB25MitchelllV.jpg

Next, I finally got the fuselage closed on the PBY Catalina. What a trip that was! Took me four days of gluing and manipulating that beast into place! Now it's looking pretty good:

WIPPBYCatIII.jpg

Next I'm going to mask and then paint the fuselage all in white. The wings will be a green and grey(?) camo pattern. I still have to find one more part to complete the wings and then this little plane will be ready to complete!

Well, that's all for now. The next time you see these, I'll have most of them in the finished Forums, and may even have a few more started.....

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.

Looking good Duke! I can't remember WHY I delved into 1/72, but for some reason I too built that F-86 and had the same problems with the kit decals. They were too thick and inflexible. I ended up getting the model done, but it was purely a case of me deciding I was going to BEAT it into submission if need be. I don't have it any more, so perhaps I did beat it to death and bury it in the yard....... :smiley15: For some reason, the rest of that build has been forgotten (or mentally blocked) :smiley20: .

GIL :smiley16:

Hi, Mark,

Sorry about your decal disaster on the F-86F decals. There are some Microscale/Superscale decals with the yellow stripes in 1/72 that could be a good substitute. My only issue with them is that they are split according to the fuselage halves and join up at the top in a curve rather than pointed like your kit decals. Then you can apply the 125 data block and stencil markings.

Ed

Thanks Gil and Ed. Gil, I will beat this into submission; I'm more than halfway there.

Ed, thanks for the tip. I'm trying not to spend any more money as things have suddenly gotten tight here. Besides, I've been setting this and my other Sabre aside far too frequently to wait for one thing or another. (Still need a canopy for the other Sabre since the one got stepped on) I'm tired of this model cluttering up my workbench so I'm going to complete it sans stripes.

Thanks again for looking in guys. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Stay tuned for more.

Duke said....

"Okay, even though I haven't had too many comments, I'm posting anyway. I got quite a lot done and I love keeping all you guys informed as to how things are going."

Well, if ya posted the darn pictures on a web hosting service that I could SEE them during lunch, I would probably leave ya commment!!!! Lately, when I get home, I check a little of the forums and try to beat the effin Achilles into submission. Hopefully this weekend, it will actually start looking like a IDF tank destroyer that was NEVER used in combat.

Mark

P.S. I promise to get on here when I get home and check the photos out!

Duke,

Your models are really taking shape nicely. I am, building the BMP-2 right now to add to my Russian army. Your Russian models really stand out. Nice job.

Ok, as for the F-86, think about this just for a minute. It may be time to bring back one of the tried and true modeling techniques. that we as children perfected. A.K.A> FIRECRACKERS!!! YA BABY< BLOW THE HELL OUT OF IT!! :smiley15: Don't you remember how much fun it was to stick about ten firecrackers in a model, light 'um, and run like heck, and them BOOM :smiley18: . That warm fuzzy feeling comes over you as you just realized the power you just unlashed on this poor piece of crap model that totally pee'd you off building it. B) Satifaction at its best!!

Well just a thought! Keep posting the great model photos. I true love seeing the progress on them.

Chris

Looking good Duke!!!! Loved The Gaskin.... Got the Strella I am working on (very slowly) and may be stealing parts off the DML SA-9 to detail it.

Duke,

Your models are really taking shape nicely. I am, building the BMP-2 right now to add to my Russian army. Your Russian models really stand out. Nice job.

Ok, as for the F-86, think about this just for a minute. It may be time to bring back one of the tried and true modeling techniques. that we as children perfected. A.K.A> FIRECRACKERS!!! YA BABY< BLOW THE HELL OUT OF IT!! :smiley15: Don't you remember how much fun it was to stick about ten firecrackers in a model, light 'um, and run like heck, and them BOOM :smiley18: . That warm fuzzy feeling comes over you as you just realized the power you just unlashed on this poor piece of crap model that totally pee'd you off building it. B) Satifaction at its best!!

Well just a thought! Keep posting the great model photos. I true love seeing the progress on them.

Chris

LOL! Thanks Chris. Interestingly enough, I never used firecrackers on any of my models. I guess that is why I still have all mine (except those irreparably broken during moves.) I don't know. Even if if was a really crap kit, I just couldn't bring myself to destroy something I worked on with my own two hands. In a sense, I got more satisfaction getting it completed as if to say, "Ha! You will get done and you WILL look like what you are supposed to!" Anyway, I still enjoyed the good laugh.

I got the decals all on that Sabre, and will now be installing the landing gear and doors. I'll be calling this one done soon.

Well, if ya posted the darn pictures on a web hosting service that I could SEE them during lunch, I would probably leave ya commment!!!! Lately, when I get home, I check a little of the forums and try to beat the effin Achilles into submission. Hopefully this weekend, it will actually start looking like a IDF tank destroyer that was NEVER used in combat.

Mark

P.S. I promise to get on here when I get home and check the photos out!

Well, I used to post from the League of Extraordinary Modelers Forums Gallery, which is set up similar to ours (if not the same). I used to have my own folder for posting my own WIP's and it linked to and was viewable anywhere. Now they changed it and I no longer have my own Folder so I have to resort to Photobucket for my WIP. I'm not even sure I can even upload finished models to the LEM Gallery. Most frustrationg. I don't see why something needs to be fixed when it ain't broken! It was the ultimate setup for me.

Thanks for the great comments once you got home. I'll be posting (I hope!) my finished models pretty soon.

Thanks again for the replies guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since this Forum hasn't been visited lately, I've got some progress pics to post. It's been a slow week for me building-wise, so bear with me here.

First off, the Catalina is painted and the landing gear is on. The wing is just dry-fit on right now. I'll glue it on last:

WIPPBYCatIV.jpg

WIPPBYCatV.jpg

Next, I got the camouflage and wheels on the little AML 90. This one is ready for clearcoat and decals:

WIPAML90III.jpg

And finally, does anyone remember the challenge I had to build a 1/32 scale aircraft? Well, I have the cockpit completed and I'm ready to move on.

First, the ejection seat:

WIPTigersharkVII.jpg

Next, the instrument panel:

WIPTigersharkVIII.jpg

Finally, the two together:

WIPTigersharkVI.jpg

That's all for now. It's been a slow week for me building-wise. If I get more time, I'll post more.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Hi, Mark,

You are never intimidated by a challenge when it comes to building models. Is this a first in 1/32 for you? If so, you are even with me. I started a 1/32 Revell F-16 when it was first issued decades ago. I am stalled at the painting stage, and it all sits awaiting my interest again. The cockpit in the F-16 kit is very basic (not nearly the level of the Hasegawa F-5E cockpit), but I'm way past the point of switching it out for a resin upgrade. Perhaps the ejection seat will be replaced because I got a "second" in a grab bag of misformed resin parts at the 2004 Phoenix Nats for $5. I won't even care if it is or is not a correct seat for the aircraft. You appear to be off to a good start.

Ed

Oooh, Ooooh........so yer buildin' a 1/32 F-5E?? (Hasagawa?) What scheme are ya gonna put on that thing? Perhaps an agressor camo? I also like the camo on the PBY. Look forward to seeing more Duke!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil! I am planning the aggressor camo pattern for this one. I need to finish it by the end of the year to meet the New Year's Challenge. Thanks for the compliment on the PBY. I was going to do an overall blue on it, but a friend and fellow IPMS member (who also happens to be a Corsair Ace from WWII) convinced me to go with the white bird. I'm hoping to have this finished in another couple days.

Ed, thank you for the compliment. Yes, this is a first, and when I get finished, I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe I'll find a place on my ceiling for it; even though Jim Woody said he would display it in his Hobby Shop. I am hoping to finish this by the end of the year. We'll see.

Thanks again guys for the excellent replies!

...Now I'm fed up with this model already. This one and the Japanese one I was supposed to be building alongside it have been giving me nothing but problems all this time. I've decided that enough is enough; I'm building this without the stupid yellow stripes on the wings and fuselage. It may be inaccurate, but I've had it! I'm not going to go through the hassle of trying to paint them on since painting yellow is tough enough. On this model, that is tantamount to setting up a full blown catastrophe. I'm just going to add the rest of the decals and that's it! I've already applied a layer of decal film to all the rest of the decals on the sheet to insure this doesn't happen again!

Duke - Don't give up the ship on that F-86! This is a great opportunity to try something new (a thought that always crosses my mind when cornered like a rat). Depending on how much faith you have in applying a mask/tape to that NMF, go ahead and do the big yellow stripe: The key to success is to start by spraying on a flat white undercoat. That will make the yellow look right. Then, *after it cures*, mask out that main yellow bit and do the black stripes. Or...do the black stripes with strips of black decal. Those long, black walkway stripes that I never use would be good for something like this, given the presence of mind to save them frm the trash.

Von, I appreciate the suggestion. I've already finished this Sabre sans stripes and I'm calling it done. I've had enough headache and heartache with that model; I wasn't going to invite further disasters. I have kept your idea and suggestion for the next time I do a striped aircraft like that. Thank you for that again.

Hopefully I'll be able to get some pics up later of my finished models.

Hey everyone!

I got a few more things to show everyone. In between some of these jobs I've been doing, I've tried to get some work done on some models.

Most of these are models that have been on the bench for awhile, so I'm trying to get them done.

I also started one more since it was a quick and easy build.

To start with, here is my armor. This AML-90 Armored car is almost done. Here it is with decals on; the next steps are a wash, dullcoat and drybrush before weathering.

WIPAML90IV.jpg

Next I decided to finish the main hull of the other French armored car, the ERC-90. here it is all complete. I still need to put the turret baskets on after I make them. The wheels on this model are designed to be able to turn. I made them pretty loose so they tend to look crooked sometimes.

WIPERC90III.jpg

WIPERC90IV.jpg

I have to go to Henk's site to get the instructions for the ERC again. Mine got lost.

Now for my aircraft. I went ahead and finally added the red color to the Aztec that I wanted to have. Next step after this is decals:

WIPNewPiperAztecIV.jpg

While that was drying, I assembled all the detail parts to the wing of the PBY Catalina and then dry-fit the engines. here it is all "assembled" in a test fit:

WIPPBYCatVI.jpg

WIPPBYCatVII.jpg

Next I put the crappy decals on this model. It was a bit tough; they were prone to breaking, even with the decal film on them. I made them stick though.

WIPPBYCatVIII.jpg

I was actually looking for some better decals in my decals stash,, but I am woefully lacking in WWII British decals! Oh well, onwards and upwards.....

This next one is the one I started. It is the Revell 1/72 scale F-9 Panther that I got as a raffle prize. Here is the cockpit and instrument panel. My apologies for the blurry pic:

WIPPantherI.jpg

Next I assembled the wings and tail:

WIPPantherII.jpg

And finally, I put the cockpit and IP in the main fuselage and closed it up. I added the tail to it and then dry-fit the wings for this pic:

WIPPantherIII.jpg

That's where I am on those.

These next two models are ones that I'm trying to get done very soon. One is a challenge build (The 1/32 scale Tigershark) and the other is a gift for a very good friend.

Here is where I am on the F-106 Delta Dart for my friend. As a reminder, this model is the Monogram 1/48 scale aircraft. I finally have the decals on it and now all I have to do is add all the detail parts and then semi-gloss it.

WIPF106DartXI.jpg

WIPF106DartXII.jpg

I'm hoping to have this done before Thanksgiving so I can give it to him as a Thanksgiving day present.

This last one is my New Year's Challenge to build a 1/32nd scale plane. Well, I have the cockpit assembled and closed into the forward fuselage; the forward fuselage is attached to the rear fuselage and the wings and tail are added. This one is coming along:

WIPTigersharkIX.jpg

This thing is freakin' 'uge! :blink::smiley2:

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm heading out to St. Crispin's Hobby Night to work on some more models. I'll keep you posted!

Meanwhile, thanks all for looking and comments are welcome.