Maddog Manufacturing's 2010 Factory Tour Updated 12/21!

Mark Deliduka

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. I'm hoping to get a bit more progress done on this soon. Then I'll be working on the missile carrier/launcher. After that, I'll have to try and find room on my shelf for these beasties!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update before I prepare for Phoenix.

I got the decals on both my Pershing and Cuckoo. I had also tried again to paint Cuckoo on the sides of the turret, but no go. I'm still not happy with these. I did try to find some white letters the right size in my decal stash, but I'm always short a couple of letters. I need 4 'o's, and 4'c's,. Tough to find in my decals stash; which is amazing since I have 35+ years of spare decals in there! :blink:

Anyway, here's the progress pics. Yes, they are still shiny; I'd just put the decals on previously and I still want to do washes before I seal these in dullcoat.

Cuckoo needs her name re-done, a wash, dullcoat, drybrush and weathering. Then I can add the tracks and she'll be done:

WIP%20Cuckoo%20VIII.jpg

WIP%20Cuckoo%20IX.jpg

The Marine Pershing is almost finished. I need to fix a couple of silvered decals, wash it, dullcoat, drybrush and then weather it. Then I can add the tracks to this one and call it done:

WIP%20Marine%20Pershing%20VII.jpg

WIP%20Marine%20Pershing%20VIII.jpg

That's about all I have for now. This will probably be my last update until after Phoenix.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome. See you on the flip side.

• 3 weeks later...

Well people, lets talk about motivation.

Phoenix really fired me up,while allowing me to pick up a bunch of models I'd been putting off getting. Not to mention a few surprises and some raffle prizes. So, once I got home and settled back in, I decided to get started on several new projects as well as move forward on some stalled ones.

To start with, I'll parade the projects I've made progress on that have been stalled.

Here is Cuckoo. I think I have at least one side done to my satisfaction. The other side looks like I can get it done fairly easily. Therefore, I'm declaring Cuckoo ready for dullcoat and weathering after I touch up the one side:

WIPCuckooX.jpg

WIPCuckooXI.jpg

Next, I've finally got the Marine Pershing ready for weathering and final details. I had to fix a couple decals that were silvering and peeling. I just have to get the tracks on it after I weather the rest of it, and then I'll be able to finish it off:

WIPMarinePershingIX.jpg

Next up is one of my two Sabers. This one is 'MiG Mad Marine' and she's almost ready for a basecoat of silver. I have the other canopy on it now, but I didn't take a pic of it:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Duk...abreJetsIII.jpg

This is the other Sabrejet, the Japanese one. Notice it doesn't have any clear parts on it because I somehow managed to lose them even though I never took them from the box! Oh well, I'll do what I can with this one and get it as finished as I can until I either find the canopy parts or replace them:

WIPSabreJetsIV.jpg

This last one one is one that has been sitting for almost a year. It is my Dragon halftrack that I lost the interior to. Well, I finally found the interior and now I was able to move on and get more finished on this model. Here it is mostly all assembled. Just a few more details to attend to after it gets painted and I'll be seeing the end of the line with this:

WIPHalftrackVI.jpg

WIPHalftrackVII.jpg

Now on to my newest projects.

I'll start with one of the three raffle prizes I won at the Nationals. This first one is an MPC PBY Catalina in 1/72 scale. I started some of the interior and also cemented together the middle wing section. I also had noticed that a number of clear parts were missing. The front turret shell is missing and several of the side windows too. They won't be a problem, but the front turret will have to be an open tub. Here is what I have done so far. I'll be starting to paint the interior here pretty soon:

WIPPBYCatI.jpg

Next I got an old Matchbox He-70 scout aircraft from the raffle while hoping to get that massive Mi-26 Halo. This is a fun model to build so far. I got the interior finished, the fuselage assembled and wings on it. The canopies were added yesterday and so this bird is ready for paint:

WIPHE70I.jpg

Next is another old model I picked up from one of the vendors. This is a very old kit of the R-100 airship with the Montreal tower. I started the tower, only to find some very very poor fit of half the parts. Lots of filling here to do. The airship itself went together fairly well, but there is a lot of sanding I'll need to do to the seam. Too bad; there is so much great raised detail. Here is what I have on it so far:

WIPR100I.jpg

Now to get our feet back on the ground.

I got started a lot of modern Russian vehicles, most of which will be Russian, a couple may be other countries. I'll start with this little 1/72 scale Fort GAZ 67 Jeep I picked up at the Nationals. This one is about ready for paint, but I'll have to find a new Jeep windscreen to add to it. The kit one got lost. This little thing is only about an inch long:

WIPGAZ67I.jpg

Next are two ACE 1/72 scale SA-9 Gaskin vehicles. I'm doing these for the AAA Group Build on the LEM. These are the main vehicles mostly done. They just need some details added and then I can start the missile launcher assemblies. One will be Russian, and the other I need to find out. This model has East German markings with it, so if I can confirm that the East Germans still had them in service when the reunification happened, I can add West German markings to it. Otherwise, it'll be Egyptian or Iraqi:

WIPGaskinsI.jpg

I realized as I was building these Gaskins, that my Russians had a BRDM 2, but no BRDM 1. So, out came this little 1/72 scale 'jewel' and onto the workbench. This is the main hull assembled. All that's need is the suspension and wheels and some topside details and she's ready to go:

WIPBRDMIa.jpg

Next I needed something fast and fairly simple to assemble. So out came two guns from ACE fro my Russian army again. This first one is a F-22 76mm gun:

WIPF22RussianGunI.jpg

Next is another F-22 gun, this is the F-22 USV gun:

WIPF22USVRussianGunI.jpg

Both these guns were captured by the Germans and used also, so I may end up getting one more of each for my German army. Right now, I'm just gonna keep these Russian.

Well, I believe that is all I have to show for now. I hope you enjoy.Thanks all for looking in, and as always, comments are welcome.

- DUKE.....do you have a direct I.V. line hooked up to a gallon jug of Expresso? Or somthin? It bogles the mind how you pump out so many models. I know......maybe I'll scehdule a hotel room over night stay once every week (That seems to be the only way I can finish a model after an "All-Nighter", LOL). That's the only way I could possibly hope to keep up even half of your pace.

- Still, ribbing aside, you rock. Thanks for the on-going, non-stop model building express postings. Model on, Dukinator! :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

LOL! NO, Ken, although sometimes it feels like it. Thanks for the compliment. Hey, when you book a hotel room, do it out here somewhere and I'll join you. Better yet, drive on in on the evening before the second Saturday of the month and join me at St. Crispin's Hobby Day. We have a table all set up for model building and that's where I get a ton of progress done.

Looking forward to more of your work too.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here it is a couple days later, and I managed to get a bit more done. I did manage to make some progress on the three aircraft I'm working on, but not enough to warrant pics of them.

I did find the cockpit canopy for my second F-86 Sabre, but as luck would have it, there's a three-way crack smack in the middle of the canopy. Don't know yet what I'll do. If anyone has a spare F-86F Canopy from Fujimi, I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

Okay, moving right along. I have managed to get several armor models to the painting stage; and I have pics of one more I had started that I forgot to shoot before. Hazards of starting so many! :smiley9:

Here is one of my models ready for paint. This is the 1/72 scale BRDM I all assembled:

WIPBRDMIb.jpg

Next are two Russian artillery pieces The F-22 and the F-22UFW ready for paint:

WIPF22RussianGunII.jpg

WIPF22USVRussianGunII.jpg

My little GAZ Jeep from Fort is all painted, except for the wheels which just got installed. I have a few more detail parts to add and this one will be ready for decal and/or weathering:

WIPGAZ67II.jpg

Next, I got the interior painted on my halftrack. Most of this is finished; I may do a bit of weathering/dirtying it up before I close it up and paint the whole thing:

WIPHalftrackVIII.jpg

Next, I got my rather large Russian radar truck all assembled and ready for paint:

WIPRadarTruckII.jpg

I hope to shoot paint on all these tomorrow or the next day:

Finally, here are my two SA-9 Gaskins almost assembled. I still have to finish building the missile boxes and launcher assemblies to add to the turrets you see there. These turrets are not fastened down to the hulls. After I get them assembled, I'll be able to shoot paint on these as well.

WIPGaskinsII.jpg

That's where I stand so far. By next week, you should see about 5 or 6 of these finished. Meanwhile, thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Impressive production line Duke! How do you keep all of their parts from getting accidently mixed together? Do you have a humongous work bench that allows easy separation of all of your on-going projects? I know I have space problems if I have 2 going at the same time!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil,

Please..... The "Duke" is a MASTER builder. He throws them all into a huge box, and when he reaches inisde, he ALWAYS pulls out the right part....A true sign of model mastery!!!!

Mark

Thanks for the awesome comments guys

Gil, to answer your question, I keep the box nearby and pull the sprues from it as I need them. Once I remove the parts I need from the sprue, I replace the sprue in the box. When I'm ready to move on, I replace the instruction sheet and any sub-assemblies back in the box, close it up and put is aside. Then I pull down the next one. I have a separate table to the side where I have all 'in-progress' kits stacked.

Mark, I don't know about Master. I still consider my Nationals win a miracle of Biblical proportions!

Bob, I do or do not. There is no try. :D :smiley2:

Another day, another ten models worked on......

First off, is my BRDM I that I painted as basecoat on and then added most of the detail parts to. I saw after painting some areas that needed more filler and sanding and so I'll get to those soon:

WIPBRDMIc.jpg

Next I had a little issue with my launcher arm on one of the Gaskins. I had to repair it so that the pin on the turret would have a place to sit so the whole launcher assembly could pivot. I took a flat piece from a spare sprue and shaped and drilled it out before attaching it to the broken part:

WIPGaskinsIII.jpg

I had also painted the main hulls when I did the BRDM I and found some gaps that needed attention too. Here they are before all that got fixed:

WIPGaskinsIV.jpg

Here are the two Gaskins side by side with their turrets test fit in place. Notice I had to remove the missile boxes to add the pivot parts. They will be re-added later today.

WIPGaskinsV.jpg

After all that, I was looking for something simple. So, I decided to throw together the little Pak 36 gun that came with the halftrack. Here is the little door-knocker sitting finished beside the halftrack:

WIPHalftrackIX.jpg

Oh, I had also put a basecoat ion the radar truck as well. Here it is in the basecoat and with almost all detail parts added to it:

WIPRadarTruckIII.jpg

I didn't only work on armor this time. I did do a little bit on one of my aircraft as well. Here is the He-70 with the basecoat of paint on it ready for the camo pattern:

WIPHE70II.jpg

That is about all for now. Feel free to check out the Armor Forum for my latest finished models. Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

The Duke said;

Another day, another ten models worked on.....

He measures his model work day by how many models he did, I measure my model day by how much I did on one model. I think Ken had it right. You must have an IV bag filled with something next to your work bench. First thing you do is hook it up. Amazing, just amazing.

Chris

Ten models a day keeps the wife at bay..........

Hey Duke! Your Hienkel's prop looks to be a bit out of balance. Is one blade missing, or will it be in Italian markings and go wop-wop-wop through the air?......... :smiley17: Lookin' good!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks guys for the excellent compliments! I appreciate them very much.

Duke,

Are you posting these from different servers? I can see the ones on the Armor forum but not the ones here.

Mark

No, just different sites. These pics were loaded to my Photobucket page, so they should show here. Otherwise, they can be seen at my Duke Maddog Photobucket page. The ones on the Armor thread are loaded from my Webshots page.

Chris, no IV bag, sorry....no room in my hobby room for such a thing! Just good ole' fashioned modeling mojo!

Gil, yeah, the prop lost one of the blades. I figured I'd leave it off till the aircraft is almost done and then add it afterward when there's less of a chance to lose it again.

Man, what a bad case of insomnia, I couldn't sleep a wink last night! So, what the hey; I figured I'd put all that time to good use instead of tossing and turning for no reason.

This is the result of my overnight battle with insomnia. I'll start with one of my aircraft I've been taking far too long on. This is my Sabrejet "MiG Mad Marine" that I finally shot a silver basecoat on to see all the wonderful flaws I left on it. There were a lot:

WIPSabreJetsV.jpg

WIPSabreJetsVI.jpg

Since I was already working on planes; our next IPMS meeting contest theme is "Civility" or anything used by, or modified for, civilian use. I figured that was the perfect excuse to finally start the two Pipers that need replacing from 2007. So, out came the kits. I assembled and painted the interiors and then after they were dry, I enclosed them in the fuselage halves. Here is where I am with these.

The Piper Cherokee:

WIPNewPiperCherokeeI.jpg

The Piper Aztec:

WIPNewPiperAztecI.jpg

The wings are only dry fit here.

I also did a little work on my R-100 airship, but it was mostly sanding seams and filling gaps so nothing worth shooting pics for. Amazingly enough, THAT boring work didn't even put me to sleep!

Moving on to armor, I started five more while making some headway on three others already in progress.

Here is my Gaskin. It is all painted and ready for me to mount the wheels:

WIPGaskinsVI.jpg

Notice there is only one. I went to work on the other one and bring it up to this level of completion, but when I reached next to the first one where the second was supposed to be; it was not there. It's as if it just drove off on it's own (which takes some doing as I never installed the wheels!) I searched everywhere and that model is no where to be found. So, I moved on....

The next model I got some progress on was the BRDM I. This one is finished with base painting and ready for the wheels to be installed:

WIPBRDMId.jpg

Finally, I got the base coat on the Dragon Halftrack and Pak 36. These are ready for more detailing now.

Here's the halftrack:

WIPHalftrackX.jpg

Here's the gun:

WIPHalftrackXI.jpg

Here they are together:

WIPHalftrackXII.jpg

These next two models are two more ACE 1/72 scale kits of French armored cars. I started these at Hobby Day and got a little work done here on them. This first one is the AML 90 armored car. I already built an AML 60, so this was needed for my collection too:

WIPAML90I.jpg

This next one is the ERC 90 Sagaie. This kit has recently gone out of production. I'm glad I picked it up!

WIPERC90I.jpg

These last three are Trumpeter 1/72 scale LAV variants. I picked these up at the Nationals and now I'm expanding my Marine Corps inventory. Here's the LAV AT:

WIPLAVATI.jpg

Here's LAV recovery vehicle:

WIPLAVRI.jpg

And here's the LAV Command vehicle:

WIPLAVCI.jpg

In addition to all this, I also touched up my Russian Radar truck a little, but not enough to warrant pics.

Well, that's all for now. I guess I can go get some sleep now. Comments are welcome; thanks to all who stop in and comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here it is a week later and I managed to get more done. I'll start off with my aircraft this time since I finally progressed enough to justify pics. At least one one. The other is an aircraft I started while waiting for Airfix replacement parts to arrive.

Here is the He-70 I won in the raffle at Phoenix. I finally got the camo pattern on. This is preliminary; I may make some changes. Otherwise I'll just touch things up and move on:

WIP%20HE70%20III.jpg

WIP%20HE70%20IV.jpg

This next one is an old MPC Profile Series B-25 Mitchell. I got int in a Distressed Kit Auction and so it was started a little. The interior had just been painted. I painted the crew, added more to the interior and am almost ready to close the fuselage. Here it is with the interior and crew dry fit inside the one fuselage half:

WIP%20B%2025%20Mitchelll%20I.jpg

This is a shot of the wings and the empennage assembly. The wings had been assembled but I had to fix the flap on one wing. I then assembled the empennage assembly:

WIP%20B%2025%20Mitchelll%20II.jpg

That's all I have to show for my aircraft for now. EDIT: My Airfix parts came ion so I'll be able to make some progress on my Catalina now. More to come there.

Meanwhile, I made great progress on m y armor. I'll start with the little ACE AML 90. I got the fenders, the axles and the shocks on this little beastie. Now for the little detail parts on the hull and turret and then I'll be able to paint this:

WIP%20AML%2090%20II.jpg

Next, my one Gaskin is ready for finishing. I got the wheels on and the main basecoat of paint:

WIP%20Gaskins%20VII.jpg

And the other one is my PST Russian Radar truck for the SA-10 Grumble SAM system. I got the axles on and ready for the wheels. I just have to paint the wheel hubs and then add the rubber wheels to them and then this truck will be ready for finishing:

WIP%20RadarTruck%20IV.jpg

And now we move on to my three Marine Corps LAV's.

All of these are ready for the main basecoat of green before the camo pattern goes on.

My LAV Anti-tank vehicle:

WIP%20LAV%20AT%20II.jpg

My LAV recovery vehicle:

WIP%20LAV%20R%20II.jpg

And my LAV Command vehicle:

WIP%20LAV%20C%20II.jpg

That's about all I have done so far. I had also done some sanding on my two Pipers, and painted my R-100 to see where more sanding was needed as well. Maybe later I'll have pics for them.

Meanwhile thanks for looking and comments are welcome.