Monofilament line - where to find?

Kranman

More importantly, are there lines I should look for or use over another? I understand I shouldn't use 100 lb. test line but the tippet line I've been directed to buy come in a wide range of colors and sizes.

Oh, I'm building 1/350th WWII through today USN ships. Many thanks!

Frank

Try a fly fishing shop. They will have some fine lines. You can refer to them as leaders also. I mainly stay in 72nd scale and use 6 lb. line. For 350th you'd probably need to drop down to 1 lb or lower.

Found this out from another modeling site -

A fishing line called "Caenis", used by guys that tie thier own flies for fly fishing is great for 1/350 scale. He says it comes in white and black and the white is easily colored with a permanent marker. I saw pics of it on that site and it looked great. Available from flyfishing suppliers and from www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi for around $1.35 / 200 yards. I've got some on order.

EJ

Bass Pro Shop....on the wall where fishing equipment is sold.

Orvis Super Strong Tippet Material....8x40 Meters

Diameter is .003 (yes...its tiny)

1.75 test (I guess its for goldfish.....:) )

Can be tinted with any color you wish using a Sharpie.

• 9 months later...
Bass Pro Shop....on the wall where fishing equipment is sold.

Orvis Super Strong Tippet Material....8x40 Meters

Diameter is .003 (yes...its tiny)

1.75 test (I guess its for goldfish..... :) )

Can be tinted with any color you wish using a Sharpie.

I'm an avid flyfisherman and tippet lines will work superbly for rigging. You'd be surprised at all the colored line and copper wiring flyfishing shops have. great for boat riggings.

Edited by skysoldier46

Not sure what scale you are working with but for the smaller scales, you might look into invisible sewing thread. It is available from sewing shops and probably from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is about .005 dia. and can be easily glued using super glue or super glue. I use it for rigging and antennas. If it is somewhat slack, it can be tightened up with a little heat.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure what scale you are working with but for the smaller scales, you might look into invisible sewing thread. It is available from sewing shops and probably from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is about .005 dia. and can be easily glued using super glue or super glue. I use it for rigging and antennas. If it is somewhat slack, it can be tightened up with a little heat.

I've used that on a couple of 1/192 builds. It worked out great! If your working on one of Rusty Whites Ironclad kits it about the best thing I could find for running through the stanchions.

I also bought a number of sizes of the mono line from Wal-mart and three sizes of fly fishing line from a specialty shop.

Edited by sumterIII