A complete squadron.

phantomordie

Although It crossed my mind, I dismissed the idea because of the following...

1) 12-16 aircraft to build, all of (generally) the same mark. Not enough variety of type to interest me.

2) A lot of the same markings. In the case of USN, only the bu#'s and a/c #'s would show a difference, as there's much less nose art. Even in WWII USAAF stuff, again, the only difference is in the nose art and side codes (generally).

On the plus side, you can build in "factory" mode; making a lot of progress very quickly due to repetitive (and familar) steps in assembly and painting!

I think a squadron build makes sense in the very small scales (1/72 or 1/144) IF you have a historical display purpose for the build, especially for a museum. Otherwise, I'd be more interested in building (for ex.) one fighter from each USAAF 8th Fighter Command wing/and or squadron. Although that might repetitive in type, it's much more diverse in markings for your display shelves! Just my dos centavos....Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

No, just a squadron family tree. I've built a family tree of the 4th Fighter Group/Eagle Squadron...Hurricane, Spitfire V, P-47, P-51B/D, P-80, F-86, F-100 C, F-105 B/D, F-4D/E, F-15E. I donated that collection to the 4th FW at Seymour Johnson AFB. I'm currently slowly working on the collection again for myself and working on a family tree for the 67th FS. All in 1/48.

I've built a flight of 33rd TFW Eagles before. Still got them. Not all from the same flight though.

whaddya mean the same flight? Unless you're in the squadron no one would know which flight any specific aircraft is assigned to; and I'm not sure maintenance and operations would carry aircraft grouped in the same flight. Ops usually has around 4 flights whereas maintenance usually has only 2. There are no flight specific markings in the Air Force that I'm aware of, only squadron (usually tail color) and possibly squadron badge on the intake side.

whaddya mean the same flight? Unless you're in the squadron no one would know which flight any specific aircraft is assigned to; and I'm not sure maintenance and operations would carry aircraft grouped in the same flight. Ops usually has around 4 flights whereas maintenance usually has only 2. There are no flight specific markings in the Air Force that I'm aware of, only squadron (usually tail color) and possibly squadron badge on the intake side.

Cool! Maybe they are from the same flight. Thanks Bob!

Would a collection of every type of airplane operated by Pan Am (or any other airline) for passenger service count for this question?

Would a collection of each of the major variants of, say, the Boeing 737-100 through the 737-900 and BBJ count for this question?

Not that I have done this; just asking.

Ed

As Gil said above, the numbers involved might daunting. If you're going to do a USAF Squadron, most have a PAA of 20 to 28 in the Fighter Squadron.

John's original question seemed to be confined to building just one squadron. He didn't say why he was interested in the answer. A complete squadron would be one type of collection to build, as well as any of the other variations mentioned above. To each their own, as long as it's fun! Cheers!

• 1 month later...

I've seen that display and it's both colorful and impressive. The advantage to such a pre-war build is that the variation in the 3 plane section color markings of fuselage stripes, full and half-cowl markings, and the wing chevrons all provide variety within one squadron. Once you move into WWII and beyond, that variety largely vanishes.

Anyone built a complete squadron of A/C?

In my mind...every day...it's a sickness. :smiley2: I will be building all five of the Jv44 Doras...one down and four to go!

IMG_5936Medium.jpg

Later,

Lee