What aircraft do you have the most built on the shelf?

ghodges

I was glancing in my display cases and realized that I had built more Corsairs than I remembered. That drew my attention to other "multiples" I'd built. So the question is: What types have you built the most, and is any one of them actually your favorite? Do you build them a lot because of a favorite TYPE, or becuase of a favorite KIT? Mine break down as follows...(all 1/48, by the way)

P-51 Mustang- 7 of all sub-types

F4U Corsair- 6

P-47 Thunderbolt- 6

F-86 Saber/FJ Fury- 6

A-4 Skyhawk- 6

P-38 Lightning- 4

F-100 Supersaber- 4

F-4 Phantom- 3

P-40 Warhawk- 3

I've built more of some of the above types, but they were lost to moves and breakage (I had 5 BF-109s, but lost 3 when a shelf collapsed last year!). The rest of my collection seems to be onesies and twoesies (for now). Out of the list above, I'd list the P-40 as my favorite. It should feel at home....outnumbered on the shelf just as during the war! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I have a lot of Mark Martin stock cars, but that's a different subject. In the collection, I have 4 P-51's and 4 F-4 Phantoms (six F4U Corsairs if you count the 4 1/350 scale ones that I posed in formation). Of the three, I'm not particularly fond of Mustangs, but the wife seems to like them as I've been given two of them as gifts over the last couple of years. One of them was "Big, Beautiful Doll", an absolutely "beautiful" scheme, and the other was an Accurate Miniatures kit; I built it as soon as I got it, to experience building an AM kit (enjoyable build).

Glenn

Well, my 'multiples' are mostly three and four of a bunch of diferent planes from P-40's to P-51's and a ton of jets.

Interestingly enough, my most numerous model of a single class of plane is my MiG 21. I have twelve built. Can't say it is actually my favorite plane, but it is the one with the most numerous countries marking options.

Next are my F-4 Phantoms. I have 9, followed by my F-15 Eagles with 7.

If helicopters are included, I have a tie:

All variants of the UH-1: 8

All variants of the Mi-24 Hind: 8

Wow. I still have two more Hinds to build too.

This is enlightening. Thanks for posting this Glenn!

Generally, I try to build different models but I found that I have;

P-51 Mustang - 4

Bf-109 - 4 ( E, F, G-6 and G-10)

Polikarpov I-16 - 3

Mirage III - 3 (including one Kafir)

F-4 Phantom - 3

F-16 - 3

Nothing like Duke's output. I can understand Duke's fascination with the MiG. Lots of great color schemes.

Neat question! I have no more than 2 examples of any one subject on display. It turns out they are all first-issue Revell box scale kits I built as a youth and again decades later when they were reissued. There are more subjects than those listed below, but one of the two is in need of restoration before it can go back on display and therefore does not count as a displayed pair. Otherwise, I have only singles on display.

Lockheed L-1049G Super Constellation [Eastern Air Lines and TWA]

Martin B-57B [Night Intruder and Vietnam War]

Douglas X-3 Stiletto

Lockheed C-130 Hercules [C-130A USAF and KC-130F Blue Angels]

Convair F-102A Delta Dagger

North American X-15 [with and without nose probe]

Boeing B-47 Stratojet

Boeing B-29 Superfortress

Boeing KC-135A Stratotanker [short tail and tall tail]

Ed

Hmmm.

I have 4 1/48 Spitfires on the shelf, with about another 6-8 to build.

4 1/72 Airfix Hawks, plus a Fujimi, all built.

Of course, I have a total of 11 Hunters, ranging from 1/32 to 1/144, on display....... ;)

5 Canberras in various scales, plue one on the workbench at the moment.

Scarily, I have 4 1/24 Airfix Spitfires in my stash - I have no idea when I'll build them!!

I like British aircraft..... :D

Hmmm.

I have 4 1/48 Spitfires on the shelf, with about another 6-8 to build.

4 1/72 Airfix Hawks, plus a Fujimi, all built.

Of course, I have a total of 11 Hunters, ranging from 1/32 to 1/144, on display....... ;)

5 Canberras in various scales, plue one on the workbench at the moment.

Scarily, I have 4 1/24 Airfix Spitfires in my stash - I have no idea when I'll build them!!

I like British aircraft..... :D

Really? I'd have never guessed. :smiley20:

All my plane models are in 1/48. I really try not to duplicate models and have succeeded with the exception of one plane. Something comes over my when I see a P-51 Mustang. I have built 6. Is it a phenomenon or mental weakness? :blink:

My philosophy is about the same as Perry's, the exception being the B-1B in all the scales. Have got several 1/144 BONEs still around, but the bigger kits mostly went off to hang in their respective squadron bar...err..heritage rooms. I've built, or refurbished the 1/48 kit at least 7 or 8 times and may yet build one or two for me. There is also that little herd of M-3 Stuart tanks I built for wargaming in a previous lifetime; fast but fragile. otherwise,"eclectic" is the word.

One of the keys to having a lot of the same models (at least for me) is being able to keep your models over a long period of time. I rarely build the same model type in one year, or even every couple of years. Also, outside of building for my dad or uncle, I rarely give them away. Some of the builds I have go back 20+ years, having survived several moves. However, I've also been lucky to have been stationary for the last 10yrs (and the forseeable future); which means the collection just continues to grow. Well, except when you tamper with them and drop shelf ends onto them! :smiley7:

What I find most interesting here is the insight into what motivates builders. So far, I'm seeing a lot of references to favorite types (and their histories) as a motivation, and not a favorite kit. In my best Spock...."fascinating"...

Sitting here looking in my display cases I have 7 P-47's, 6 FW-190's, 4 ME-109's, 5 F-15's and 4 F/A-18s. All 1/32 by the way. I have other that are doubles and singles but those are the most numerous.

Edited by TheDude

Gil, I know what you mean. I have models going back 35-37 years now that I still have. My main motivation wasn't necessarily favorite kit or favorite subject; I was motivated to add to an 'Air Force', i.e, many of my MiG 21's are part of Middle Eastern Air Forces (Egypt, Iraq, Syria etc.) That is why I seem to have a plethora of Russian-built subjects (MiGs, Sukhois) compared to my US built subjects.

Besides, there's something rather 'sexy' about seeing a MiG with West German markings on it.... :smiley20:

I've been struggling to remember IF I had more than one of any kind of A/C on the shelf...in the stash, there's a kazillion of various types, but finished...hmmmm...

Aha! I do have more than one of a few. I actually have two P-47D Razorbacks...one in 1/48 (Tamiya) and one in 1/72 (the old Hasegawa kit)...I built two F4Fs, with the 1/48 (Tamiya) presented as a gift, and the 1/72 (Academy) was damaged at some point. I have two 1/72 F-105s (the old Revell -D and the recent Trumpeter -G). I have three A6M Zeros in 1/48 (the old AMT, the Tamiya, and the Hasegawa).

I need to build more...oh, if only I had the time...

WOW Brian! SEVEN 1/32 P-47's, not to mention the others? That must make for an impressive display! Also, you must have more than the usual display area compared to most of us. Sounds idyllic!

Lessee, I have 8 F-4 (5 "E", "D" and 2 "G") planning at least 5 more (3 "E", "C" and a "G") all except the "C" and "G" are to be 4th TFW aircraft mostly jets I crewed. I have 5 F-15 (3 "C" and 2 "D") I plan about 4 more 2 "C" a "DJ" and an "E". I only have 2 or 3 P-51 with 2 or 3 more to go. I have 2 F-105 (F and G) with 3 more to go (a B and 2 D). All in 1/48.

Edited by Bob Dedmon

I have 7 Messerschmitt Bf 109's, (or variations such as an Avia S-199) and 4 in the stash. And yes, very much my favorite plane. Every once in a while my wife gives me something else just because she is nervous about swasticas and dull colors. For Christmas she got me a Spitfire Mk. IX, "yeah the good guys!" in an aluminum dope camo.

WOW Brian! SEVEN 1/32 P-47's, not to mention the others? That must make for an impressive display! Also, you must have more than the usual display area compared to most of us. Sounds idyllic!

Yeah I am kinda lucky, I have 2 bedrooms in my house dedicated to the hobby. One room is my display and work bench area the other is my storage for the stash and in-progress-on-hold pile. I've got 3 large display cases almost filled with about 60 built models, and a open shelf for the really big stuff, I.e the 1/32 Ju-88 and other older models, most of which (approx 85%) are 1/32 scale. :smiley23: