How does the Cold affect your modeling?

Dick Montgomery

If I had a million bucks.................

I'd buy a used U-Haul truck, one of the bigger ones, and set up my modeling area, complete with AC/Heat/Spray Booth, portapotty!!!, mini-frig, sleeping area...and that would be my mobile modeling area as well as my "in the driveway" modeling area.

Until I hit the lotto I'll just get by with my little corner of the garage.

Dick, you don't need a million bucks for that. Some of those trucks go for cheap in clearance lots, and you already have half the things you mentioned already. :smiley2::smiley4: That does sound like an awesome idea though.

Well, it's finally raining here. Time to put in some bench time!

OMG.....We are model builders!!!! We overcome and adapt!!! We take that 20,000 BTU propane heater and "Tim the Toolman Taylor it". We add a more powerful motor and make it a 9 million BTU heater and we don't worry about the cold!!! ah ah ah ah

My workshop is connected to the house so there is some insulation. However, this year I had to buy a inexpensive ceramic heater. They work great and it was only $20. Keeps the shop a cozy 72 degrees. Let the modeling continue...

Andy

David Knights said:

Looks like after 13 days we are going to finally have a high temp above freezing. Man, I thought I was far enough south that I wouldn't have to deal with this stuff.

One word...............................Arizona

The Texas winter has finally arrived (central TX) and its 22F this morning. Since my spray booth and painting machinery are in the garage its just a bit uncomfortable to do any airbrushing. I've done some airbrushing with the temps in the upper 30s but now that we are below the freezing point I'm thinking I'll let it warm up a bit before shooting any paint. I'm not worried about the paint freezing...doubt that it freezes at the same temp as water, but my fingers get chilly. Note that in Central Texas there are, for all intents and purposes, no basements. The rock and soil are not basement-friendly. That means one is in the garage or in the house.

How about you? How does the cold affect your modeling?

I have to slow down as the cold weather makes painting a difficult proposition--more time has to be alloltted for the paints to cure is my main problem.

Hugh Gilmartin

• 2 weeks later...

- I'm one of the lucky dogs to have one of the bedrooms in the house as a dedicated "model-room", aka "Man-Cave". I absolutely MUST give credit to my loving, forgiving, and willing to compromise wife. We have been together for 28 years (married 23) and every place we have lived together, (with mom, renting an apartment, renting a house, and now mortgage payers), I have almost always had the good fortune to be able to have a dedicated model room. Usually it was an extra bedroom or a combined entertainment room/model room. As we graduated from apartments to houses, it was always the Master Bedroom, since the MBdrm has always had the most square footage. We were both content with less room in our bedroom (after all, all a married couple does is sleep in that room....right?! :smiley8: ).

- Our current home is a muli-leveled house with the second floor comprised of the Master Bdrm and Master bath. These are dedicated to the building room, reference library, and model storage. Since the room has heat and evaporated air (aka Swamp cooler) I have the fortune of being able to build and paint year round.

- When I do any significant airbrushing that is more than just a quick touch-up, I place a fan in the doorway to the balcony blowing in and also a window fan across the room in one of the two windows blowing out that provides a significant air flow so that I don't gas the wife and pets downstairs. So far, it seems to work quite well. When I use rattle can, I walk onto the balcony which has an awning over it.

- As an added bonus, in the model room, I have the furniture arranged in such a way that I can get not just one but two guests at each of their own work bench/desks for a mini-group build. Usually, I have my brother and his son over, but I have had other model buddies there too. Model on, Brothers of the Sprue.

Edited by Weedeater

• 2 months later...

I'd rather have the cooler weather than this! We call this "Texas Rain".

This is the pollen dust that accumulated in about 8 to 12 hours. We have a week or so if this...so I figured to take advantage of Nature's billboard and work in a little advertising for the Society.

MVC-010S.jpg

Nice!!! I recall seeing that at times in Kentucky especially in the eastern area of the state.

As for us up here in Homer, Alaska we got "dusted"...as in 5-6 inches of snow. :smiley13: Oh well, most of it has since melted. Still, we are VERY tired of the white death right now.

Later,

Lee

Its been a strange winter....friends in Dallas, Tx reported (and photographed!) about 6 inches of snow that fell just a few weeks ago! I think I'll take the pollen over the snow....