My collection

VYakubov

VERY IMPRESSIVE! That's quite a collection, and it's no wonder you're so proud of them. I'd like to hear you give a talk on how you make your water for your bases; it's quite convincing. I think my favorite is the ice breaker. Those patches of broken ice look perfect! Thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

Is there a Russian version of "Ice Station Zebra"? The sail poking up through the ice and snow and the men walking around on the white ground reminded me of that great film. :smiley32:

Ed

Is there a Russian version of "Ice Station Zebra"? The sail poking up through the ice and snow and the men walking around on the white ground reminded me of that great film. :smiley32:

Ed

Not that I know of :). It's based on the photo of the USS Annapolis during an excersize last year:

uss%20annapolis.jpg

Here are the close up photos of it:

http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/ss...n760-index.html

Vladimir

VERY IMPRESSIVE! That's quite a collection, and it's no wonder you're so proud of them. I'd like to hear you give a talk on how you make your water for your bases; it's quite convincing. I think my favorite is the ice breaker. Those patches of broken ice look perfect! Thanks for sharing!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks.

The water was made using Liquitex Acrylic Gel Medium (available at Arts and Crafts stores). Some people prefer to mount their model before they do the water, but I prefer to do the water first and then to mount the model as a very last step. To do that, I traced the shape of the hull of a piece of styrene and placed that cutout on the base and did water around it. I created the waves and bow wave first with copious applications of the gel medium and then after spreading a thin coating of it all around the base I used a stiff brush to do the ripples by stabbing it at the thin spots. After that, I painted the water blue and dry brushed with white where appropriate. After gluing the model to the base, I touched up the joint between the model and the water with Gel Medium.

Vladimir

Very nice Vlad. Like others, I also like the way you do water. I thought I saw one of the Subs that was mostly submerged and thought I could still see the bow just under the water...I thought that was really well done.

The only problem I saw with the armor collection is a lack of Shermans!

Mike Moore

Those ship models are amazing. I really enjoy your built articles in the journal. Work like that motivates me to slow down and do it right. Thanks for the inspiration.

Chris

Beautiful work Vlad! Very impressive. I love the armor collection; I've wanted many of those models in my collection too, but my scratch building skills are not up to par to complete any of them. Well done!