Another new guy! But this time from Michigan!

JohnnyRockets

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say "hi"!

Looking forward to being a part of IPMS!

I've been modeling for 3 weeks! Yes, that's right I said 3 weeks! :smiley17:

But I love it! I really, really enjoy modeling and it's cool to be finally doing it.

I've subscribed to a bunch of magazines, and joined IPMS and I'm psyched! :excl:

My interests right now are WWI biplanes, some cars (but I'm picky) and some commercial airliners and most bombers.

Okay, I guess I'm interested in most everything!

Anyways, thanks for this awesome forum and cool club.

John

Tecumseh, Michigan, USA

John,

Even though you did not mention ARMOR (the only true form of model building), welcome to the forum and model building. Hope we can help you with any questions you have and hope to see examples of your work soon!

Mark

Welcome John! Your enthusiasm is catching, at least to me. I'm all fired up to go build a model now.....or five! I too am looking forward to seeing some of your work. Here's to seeing regular posts from you!

Welcome John,

Glad to hear from you. You are starting to enjoy a great hobby. If you ever get over to the west side of the state, give us a call.

Also, we will probably be having another contest at the Air Zoo later this year. It would be a great chance for you to get even further immersed.

Hi, John,

You have certainly jumped in with your list of interesting subjects. Don't let these armor guys intimidate you into their niche if you are not otherwise interested in those subjects. After all, I've survived in the hobby for over half a century without ever building an armor kit. I like what you like--aircraft and automotive. Welcome aboard!

Ed

Very glad to have you with us John! Build what ya like and like what ya build! This is MODELING time up your way, as it's got to be too darn cold and snowy to be outside much! Cheers!

Gil :smiley16:

Ed said..."After all, I've survived in the hobby for over half a century without ever building an armor kit".

Shame on you!!! Even I have ventured to the dark side. I built airplanes as a wee lad (and have several to build for my Middle East Wars theme [both actual and "what if"]), a car or two for realtives, a Franklin for my grandfather, and even a Dragon Rail car for a friend.

Mark :smiley20:

Thanks everyone!

Yeah my biggest problem is fighting the desire to buy all the models I want (easy to do) and then of course, having no time to build them!

Seems like this may be a standard problems with modelers(?) :smiley19:

I mean everytime I see someone's great work (like the snow plow that was recently posted), I think, "oh, I want to do that one next... no this one... etc"! :rolleyes:

Oh well, thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Lastly, ClareWentzel, thanks for the invite! I have been to the AirZoo before and it was really cool! What kind of contest are you referring to? Sounds cool anyways!

JR

What kind of contest are you referring to? Sounds cool anyways!

JR

For the last eleven years, our club in Kalamazoo along with the club in Grand Rapids have been holding a contest at the Air Zoo facilities. Here is an overview from last year.

Air_Zoo_2009.jpg

We bring in a lot of tables and set them up in the museum. Last year, we had about 431 models entered by 112 modelers. As much fun as seeing the models and competing is the vendor area. We had about 50 tables for vendors. They transformed the Air Zoo into the largest hobby shop in Michigan for the day. We don't have a date defined for 2010 but I expect that it will be early in October. Plan on showing up and bring your models to enter. It is a good time. Enter the contest, see the museum and ride the rides for one small price.

John;

Glad to have you aboard. WW1 aircraft are cool.I can't ever get the rigging right though. What are your favorites. Some reason I like the Walfisch. Need to build one someday. Slugman, IPMS Green Dragons :smiley17:

Hi JR. Welcome to the gang. Michigan,eh? Well there are a few of us in the Upper Peninsula that stay up late building models. So no matter where you go in this State, you are not alone. :smiley20:

Hey John,

Welcome to the group and to the hobby. Modeling isn't just for guys anymore. I am the president of the Kalamazoo Scale Modelers, as Clare said we have a little show at the Air Zoo every year.

If you are ever in this part of the state let us know.

Mandie

Welcome aboard John. IPMS is a great place to be and the hobby is also. There are plenty of us out here should you need some help. Enjoy!

Mark Fiedler (alias aAzZ09

IPMS #14333

• 4 months later...

Hey John!

GOOD to have another Michigander into modeling! Best hobby ever! I hale from Mt. Clemens. I'm hooked up with the IPMS WARREN club. Great club , and a great group of guys. Hope to see your project either in progress or when its finished. Have fun!! Theres' a ton of great kits out there waiting to be in your stash!!`

Cheers, Mark

Welcome aboard John,

Very refreshing to see new blood come into the hobby. After awhile when you are bored with these planes and cars, you will feel the need to build an ARMOUR kit. It is a matter of time. Don't fight it, it is just the force calling to you. You will see. Again welcome aboard. Great to have you with IPMS.

Chris