MPC/AMT-ERTL "The General"

JohnRatzenberger

I have the AMT/ERTL rebox of the 1980 MPC kit of "The General".

I need to know the lineage of this kit -- is it an MPC original or did they repop it from elsewhere ?

Thanks in advance ...

MPC was the original issuer of the kit in 1975 or so.... at least in the USA

Edited by jcorley

Congrats John. Yes, as James mentioned, it is originally an MPC kit. It'll take some work, but it will be a beautiful model when finished. I envy you; I'd love to get one of those! Enjoy!

MPC was the original issuer of the kit in 1975 or so.... at least in the USA

Yes, I have MPC in 1980 -- are you saying it originated at MPC or it (may have) just been an MPC repop of another manufacturer's kit. I have not got an answer back from AMT/ERTL yet ....

John,

Everything I have looked up on the web shows this as an original MPC release in 1980. I have found nothing from another company or an earlier release date as of yet.

Mark

Yes, I have MPC in 1980 -- are you saying it originated at MPC or it (may have) just been an MPC repop of another manufacturer's kit. I have not got an answer back from AMT/ERTL yet ....

John, it is an MPC original. In fact, if I remember correctly,(and I may not) it started out as a prize with their token program, but so many people wrote in a asked it to be released that they finally did. I remember it was originally about $20.00. Alot of money in those days for a kid who was used to buying $1.98 kits off the shelf at 7-11.

That and their Christie Firetruck were the only kits that needed 100 tokens to get. I had been saving up to try and get the Christie Firetruck and was about two-thirds of the way there when the company folded.

John, it is an MPC original. In fact, if I remember correctly,(and I may not) it started out as a prize with their token program, but so many people wrote in a asked it to be released that they finally did. I remember it was originally about $20.00. Alot of money in those days for a kid who was used to buying $1.98 kits off the shelf at 7-11.

That and their Christie Firetruck were the only kits that needed 100 tokens to get. I had been saving up to try and get the Christie Firetruck and was about two-thirds of the way there when the company folded.

Thanks Mark (& Mark A also) !! I'll go with that ...