USMarine

Hey everyone,

My name is Bob and I live in High Falls, NC. I have recently joined IPMS and the local chapter in Asheboro, NC. I work at the NC Zoo in Asheboro as a zookeeper.

I have just recently gotten back into modeling and my interest is dinosaurs and nature models. Would be interested in contacting and keeping in touch with anyone else interested in dinosaur modeling. Thanks.

Welcome Bob and a very happy New Year to you and yours! Dinos seem to be an ever popular and growing medium in our hobby, especially with some of the vinyl kits available. Glad to have you aboard!

Gil :smiley16:

Hi Bob,

A zoo keeper,heh? Me too! At least when I was working...I'm now retired. I spent 37 years as a teacher in high school. That qualifies as a zoo in the eyes of most folks.

Seriously though....nice to find another Dino modeler! I've been building Dinos for about 15 years and I really like the Tamiya kits. Most recently I bought an Albertosaurus, a vinyl kit that looks like it will be a ton of fun!

I'd like to see pics of your Dinos or anyone else's, for that matter!

Why I like to build Dinos:

1). No decals to silver.

2). Really hard for a rivet counter to bad mouth since there are not any rivets.

3). No one can say my paint scheme is wrong.

4). The "landing gear" don't have to be aligned perfectly.

5). If someone tries to pick up the model during a show they'll get bitten!

6). The Dino model is house-broken...the real critter is not.

7). No metalizer finish to worry about.

8). They scare the mice away from the other models in the display case.

9). Very few parts and no photoetch to get lost in the carpet

10). No canopy framing to mask off and paint

Welcome,

I have all the old Aurora Prehistoric kits and some of the Monogram re-issues that I actually plan to build some day.

Mark

Welcome Bob;

Sounds like you have a really cool job. One of these days, I'm going to build a Liopleurodon. Do you know of any kits of this beast? Slugman from Wash. :smiley17:

Welcome aboard Bob. One of the many members I knew from IPMS North Central Texas was a paleontologist named Jim Cook, PhD. who is into dinosaurs. I don't have his current e-mail address but I would try to contact Bruce Culver or Sean Glaspell if you like ( you can find contacts at the main IPMS website-Chapters) at the NCT club should you need some help with subject/modeling etc.

Happy Modeling,

Mark (alias aAzZ09)

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome Bob and a very happy New Year to you and yours! Dinos seem to be an ever popular and growing medium in our hobby, especially with some of the vinyl kits available. Glad to have you aboard!

Gil :smiley16:

Hi Bob,

A zoo keeper,heh? Me too! At least when I was working...I'm now retired. I spent 37 years as a teacher in high school. That qualifies as a zoo in the eyes of most folks.

Seriously though....nice to find another Dino modeler! I've been building Dinos for about 15 years and I really like the Tamiya kits. Most recently I bought an Albertosaurus, a vinyl kit that looks like it will be a ton of fun!

I'd like to see pics of your Dinos or anyone else's, for that matter!

Why I like to build Dinos:

1). No decals to silver.

2). Really hard for a rivet counter to bad mouth since there are not any rivets.

3). No one can say my paint scheme is wrong.

4). The "landing gear" don't have to be aligned perfectly.

5). If someone tries to pick up the model during a show they'll get bitten!

6). The Dino model is house-broken...the real critter is not.

7). No metalizer finish to worry about.

8). They scare the mice away from the other models in the display case.

9). Very few parts and no photoetch to get lost in the carpet

10). No canopy framing to mask off and paint

I was a real zookeeper before this job. I was a Marine for 21 years before I retired the first time.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Welcome from Nags Head, NC.

Our chapter, down in New Bern, has a couple guys who do dinosaurs.

Thanks, John.

Bob

Welcome to IPMS. One of our members is a zookeeper at the Louisville Zoo here in Louisville, KY. He also builds dinos among other things. Looking forward to seeing your work.

Thanks, David.

Bob

Welcome,

I have all the old Aurora Prehistoric kits and some of the Monogram re-issues that I actually plan to build some day.

Mark

Thanks, Mark. I have all the Tamiya still to build.

Bob