Weathering process question

DavidF

Need some opinions guys. Still working on my 'getting back into the hobby kit', a Tamiya Brewster Buffalo. For this kit I just want to do some basic weathering - nothing major or heavy. Just a panel wash and an overspray to give the grey paint an oxidized appearance. My question involves the order of application. Do I overspray and then apply the panel wash and decals or do I overspray last?

I think I have my base coat where I want it. I used three different shades of paint - light grey, light grey with a tinge of blue and a slightly lightened medium grey. I've attached some pics (not very good ones I know) that might show where I'm at. The pics really don't show the variations in color very well, but...

BTW, I'm using Tamiya paints. Please ignore the mistakes...I promise to get better :smiley14:

Thanks!

-dave

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

I don't do aircraft very often but, I would spray a gloss coat, apply decals, spray another gloss coat, do the wash, dry brush anything that I want to stand out and finally spray a flat coat. I usually use artists oils with tupeniod for my wash. Tupeniod is a non-odor thinner that won't penetrate your acrylics. You can get it at most art stores. Hope this helps.

Thanks Les, I use an oil wash also and I use turpenoid since most of my work is done indoors. What I'm not sure of is where to insert the final overspray of lightened grey that I hope will give the appearance of oxidized paint. I thought after the decals since the insignia paint would also show signs of fading and oxidation, but I'm not sure. My initial plan was as follows:

1. Future

2. Apply decals

3. Future

4. Panel wash

5. More Future

6. Highlight as needed and apply lightened grey overspray (White XF-2 + Light Grey XF-66)

7. Matt spray

8. Call it done

Just not sure how the attempt at oxidation might affect the decals.

-dave

Your order of finish looks good. For safety purposes, I think I'd limit the "overspray" attempt to the painted areas and try toning down and weathering the decals with pastel chalks. It's safer and removable if you don't like it. Your final flat coat will seal them, BUT, be aware that it'll also tone down the pastels a LOT, so be prepared to do a bit more....Hope this helps. The Buffalo is looking good already!

GIL :smiley16: