1/32 Albatros D-II

dcaponeII

I've gotten pretty far on my second commission build. This is the Encore Models 1/32 Albatros D-II. It's a companion to the SE-5A I posted earlier. The interior is quite tricky to get into the fuselage but I managed after a couple of false starts. The instructions are not the most obvious to follow but it does go together.

dsc04660.jpg

dsc04658a.jpg

dsc04659.jpg

That's looking very nice! Your engine coloring looks especially realistic; like cast aluminum. Exactly what metallic did you use? I also like your interior wood graining. Can't wait to see the finished model!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I sprayed regular ole' Testor's Modelmaster Aluminum enamel paint. I then did an acrylic wash using Black/brown on the lower casting and just Black on the cylinders. The cylinders are probably not quite as dark as they should be but I think they look the part nonetheless. The upper fuselage is on now but it has much masking tape to coax it into position. Fortunately all the molded fuselage external detail has to be removed and replaced with PE parts so I'll have a good opportunity to smooth any seam imperfections. I'm going to be using the new Aeromaster wood grain decals specifically designed for D-I through D-III fuselages. I'm looking forward to using it as my earlier 1/48 Albatros D-V came out great with the earlier wood grain decals material they made. The new set is pre cut to match the panel lines so I won't have to make paper templates to cut the decal materials like before.

Here are a couple of shots with the model prepped for decaling. The colors are Testor's Modelmaster enamels. The light green is Field Green lightened with Flat White. The dark green is US Dark Green and the red brown is Burnt Sienna. The wood fuselage is Wood and will receive Aeromaster woodgrain decals tomorrow after the Clear Gloss Lacquer has a chance to cure overnight.

dsc04662f.jpg

dsc04661ni.jpg

Edited by dcaponeII

The blue is PRU Blue with a little bit of US Bright Blue added to match the color chip on the instructions. Now take a look at these Aeromaster wood grain decals!!! No gloss coat over the top yet but these decals fit like a glove. Each side around the tail consists of 5 pieces of decal on each side but they fit really well together. This is the "bad" side where I dinged the decal material in a couple spots.

dsc04667x.jpg

dsc04666x.jpg

Dumb question concerning the soft edges of the camo color demarcation on the wings: Did they spray the colors on in WWI, or would thist be feathering of hand-painted colors at the edges? Or maybe a hard line is accurate? OK, it's a geeky question too, but I'm curious.

The instructions clearly call for a feathered demarcation between the wing colors so I'll assume they sprayed them. Paint Spraying was already a common practice by the middle of WWI so I didn't think too much of the possibility that it was wrong. Since the customer wanted an OOB build I tried to stick fairly close to the kit instructions in all areas. I'll put some additional pictures up tomorrow now that the model is reading for rigging. The woodgrain looks very good with the clear coat over the top. If you're building an Albatros these decals are definitely the way to go in my book.

The rigging is 0.004" steel wire. I have glued both ends using clear parts cement. It has a little give which tends to be enough to keep everything together at 1/48 scale. In this 1/32 scale bird I think you're suggestion of only gluing one end might have been a good one.