Snow Plow

MikeH

There are a couple few touch ups and other last little things, but I'm calling it done for now. Next is to get the diorama base and things going and do some final weathering on the plow once it's in it's permanent home. The back of the plow blade is my "proud moment" for this build as I used Testors International orange for the base, then Floquil/Polly Scale reefer orange fogged over it to give it the sun-bleached, discolored look and it turned out perfect IMHO.

DSC01802.jpg

DSC01803.jpg

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01805.jpg

DSC01806.jpg

DSC01807.jpg

Another fine effort Mike! The plow blade is absolutely amazing. I don't know if I wish we lived closer so I could see your stuff in person or if I'm glad that I don't have to go head to head with you on the competition table. Either way Im a big fan.

Another fine effort Mike! The plow blade is absolutely amazing. I don't know if I wish we lived closer so I could see your stuff in person or if I'm glad that I don't have to go head to head with you on the competition table. Either way Im a big fan.

Thanks a bunch Jay for the kind compliment. On the flip-side, photography can really polish a turd... :smiley4: I truly go to contests to admire other's builds, so competition is the least of it really. :smiley20:

Edited by MikeH

Well, I got started on the diorama tonight. It's going to have a load of sand and where you see floral foam will be snow surrounding a sidewalk and an unsuspecting driveway. :smiley4:

DSC01810.jpg

DSC01811.jpg

Here's my progress as of tonight. Being green to dioramas still, I neglected to paint the floral foam white before sprinkling the snow about... rolleyes Oh well, chalk it up to beginner's learning and keep moving onward!

DSC01812.jpg

DSC01813.jpg

Great work Mike - thanks for sharing!

It was cool to see your progress as you built this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

You've been in Larimore spying on me! Well, I may be a touch heavier than the guy in your Dio, but otherwise, it's the story of my life. LMAO

Great build!!

Chuck :lol:

That looks great, only thing I would suggest is some snow being sprayed out the wide side of the plow, snowplows don't just push snow like a bulldozer, the shape of the plow and speed results in a fairly forceful spray, almost like a breaker at the beach.

You can see this in this video

The diorama clearly shows the snow that was ejected from the side of the plow as it crossed the driveway. The comment above rightly points out that the plow continues to eject snow onto the snow covered parkway as the truck moves along. This brings up the question of how much scenery detail is necessary to get the point of the scene. Did we not all understand clearly the intent of this scene? Regardless of the accuracy of the snow's dynamic behavior as it is pushed aside by the plow, is that detail really necessary? How does one actually model such details?

I would ask the same diorama question of a jet ski tearing through the water and shooting sea spray to the sides and behind with the parabolic action of the droplets as they reach the peak of their height and begin to fall back to the water. Do we have the skills to model that image fully and completely? Or do we just accept rising water off the jet ski's flanks as sufficient?

I've repeated this snow scene two more times in the last few days. I'm told to look forward to doing it againg tomorrow morning.

Ed

That looks great, only thing I would suggest is some snow being sprayed out the wide side of the plow, snowplows don't just push snow like a bulldozer, the shape of the plow and speed results in a fairly forceful spray, almost like a breaker at the beach.

You can see this in this video

On a highway yes. This would be a city plow and living in North Dakota I can tell you first hand they don't drive fast enough in the city to throw snow like that. If they did, our houses would be buried. :smiley4:

Edited by MikeH

I didn't mean the high speed tsunami, there was some city driving in their too. :)

It looks good as is I just thought a small "bow wave" might give more of a suggestion of movement.

Love the dio. I am pretty sure these guys wait until we shovel before they hit the neighborhoods.