Snow Plow

MikeH

Mike,

I'm really looking forward to your build on this one. I still have the original issue from a couple of decades ago, but have never started it. The box art looks the same, but the Stevens International logo probably means it costs a small fortune now. Originally these kits were around $8.00 and could be found at K-Mart for $5.64. The Ford LNT-8000 in the box is a good likeness of the real truck, so you should be happy with the results.

IIRC, this kit is the third iteration in the Ford LNT-8000 series of AMT kits. The first was the basic LNT-8000 tractor to tow a (not included) trailer. The second was the addition of a dump body to the tractor to create the (you guessed it) Ford Dump Truck. The third, with the addition of a couple of trees of parts to the dump truck, resulted in the Snow Plow kit. The decal markings are sparse: the Maple County Road Commission (wherever that is) gets their logo on the cab's doors, your choice of generic license plates, a unit number, and plow blade manufacturer. These Maple County guys drive spiffy salt spreader and plow trucks with the chrome rims on the wheels and chromed sidesaddle fuel tanks. I hope they take them to the local truck wash after each use for a hot wax job.

Ed

Here's my latest project. I got an idea tonight that made me LMAO so.....
Does it involved snowmen in the street? I saw a recent video were a bunch of UofWisconsin students made a bunch of snowmen in the street and a couple of snow plows came by....... :smiley11:

Snow plow kills Frosty

Edited by pyrman

I got the main frame rails together, dechromed a few parts, and assembled the main portion of the engine. I've got to go to Scale Equipment LTD. for a driver figure and another for the diorama. The instructions on this kit are horrible. The part #'s don't match up at all, plus a couple of the drawings are vague, but got them figured out. bilink

DSC01743.jpg

Yeah, the instructions in many of the old AMT truck kits are rather vague, but they build up nice once you figure things out.

I haven't done the snowplow but I have built one of the other Ford LNT kits. Not bad except I couldn't get the hood lined up right so just glued it shut.

25" of real snow later here in the northland, and I've made some progress on this beast in between running my snow blower. I'm not worrying too much about details on the inside, as it's going to be a diorama piece. I'm still undecided also as to if I'm going to weather it slightly, or leave it new and dub it the christening of a new plow...

DSC01756.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

Well, it's not much progress, but my new Floquil acrylics showed up today so I got back to building. I used the same pastel powder & hairspray trick on the wheels of this one as I did on my '50 Chevy pickup project. Back to the Floquil acrylics, I tried a new technique tonight utilizing a makeup sponge. I essentially dry-brushed the rust over the black this time. It gives that nice even sandy rust you see on cars and worn paint. I still need to perfect the technique, but I'm pleased with the results this go around.

DSC01764.jpg

DSC01765.jpg

glad the new technique is progressing. Careful...if you get caught shoppping in the cosmetics isle people might talk '~'

That's the fun in it though! My friend Mark & I shop the nail polish section at Walmart for car colors not available elsewhere. You should see the looks we get!!! LMFAO :smiley16::smiley4:

A little baking soda applied to the tires to replicate snow, and the salting technique in a minimal form, should hopefully result in a nice lightly weathered truck box.

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

Wow, Mike! You are really ripping through this kit. The box is red, so what color will the cab be? I find my greatest time-consuming area of an AMT truck kit is the interior of the cab and the hanging of all the lights and mirrors on the outside. There's lots of details to pick out with paint. We all have the stopwatch running on this build. :rolleyes:

Ed

Wow, Mike! You are really ripping through this kit. The box is red, so what color will the cab be? I find my greatest time-consuming area of an AMT truck kit is the interior of the cab and the hanging of all the lights and mirrors on the outside. There's lots of details to pick out with paint. We all have the stopwatch running on this build. :rolleyes:

Ed

The interior etc. will take more time of course. I need to get a driver figure for it also. The box is actually International Orange which the cab will be also.

Mike, this is a really cool looking build. It has also inspired me to pull mine outta the stash and work on it. Hope you don't mind if I steel a few of your ideas and techniques. Just chalk it up to flattery. Excellent work, so far. :smiley20: Model on, Brother of the Sprue. :smiley4:

Edited by Weedeater

Thanks for the compliments guys. Here's this weekend's progress. Interior is done sans driver and in researching these plows, I've found that often times the cab is much newer looking than the box. A slight amount of weathering on the cab & fenders and bumper.

DSC01787.jpg

DSC01788.jpg

DSC01789.jpg

Finally some movement on this. I managed to form the driver figure the way I wanted with a little help from a lighter. After getting the arms located to where I wanted them, I painted the figure and installed him. Still some weathering on the cab to do, but now I can focus on the blade and sand spreader. I replaced the kit shifter with a stick pin.

DSC01790.jpg

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01792.jpg

DSC01793.jpg