The editor gets something done: P-47 and P-40

Chris Bucholtz

Shockingly, I finished two models in the space of three weeks. Of course, both had been in the works for more than a year, but hey...

DSC02305.jpg

First is a Tamiya P-47D, finished using EagleCals' decals for "Chief Seattle," flown by Ray Murphy of the 379th Fighter Squadron, 362nd Fighter Group during the Battle of the Bulge. (Want to read more about the 362nd FG in the battle? Pick up the current issue of "Flight Journal" and look for my article!) It's largely out of the box, with an Aires control panel and gunsight mount, hypodermic needles for the blast tubes, and an Aires engine (which is almost as visible head-on as it is in this photo). The prop also has labels from the small sheet IPMS/Spruce Goose put out several years ago. The model was painted with Model Master metallizers and flat colors.

DSC02302.jpg

Second is Academy's P-40E Warhawk, which depicts the plane that Jim Morehead of the 9th Fighter Squadron, 49th Fighter Group used to destroy three G4M1s in defense of Darwin on April 25, 1942. The model has a True Details interior and some bits from Eduard, plus Hasegawa's spinner and landing gear and a Falcon sliding canopy. The upper paint is my own OD 42, made with a bottle of OD 612 with about a dozen drops of insignia red. The lower color is the long lost and sorely missed Aeromaster neutral gray. Decals came entirely from the spares box; the painted-out centers on the national insignia were actually painted on using a circle template. The chipping was done with a Prismacolor pencil using a photo of the plane tipped over on its nose as a guide.

--Chris

Since my buddy Jerry says 1/72 is "God's scale"; that makes me a pagan plastic modeler! I just figure HE understands that we're a graying group with weakening eyesight and overlooks our dalliances in 1/48 and 1/32! :smiley17:

GIL :smiley16:

Very nice Chris. Both fighters are well done! The Tamiya P-47D kit is great and the P-40 is no slouch either. Thanks for your book reference on Kidd Hofer. I'd like to read that sometime.

Merry Christmas,

Mark Fiedler (alias aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

Great work Chris - thanks for sharing!

(perhaps you DO have too much time on your hands!)

Seriously, I know the good feeling you get when you are finally able to finish off a very long running project - Congratz!