1/72 Helicopters

mtncolonel

I am modeling US helicopter development in 1/72 as a possible display at the Wings Over the Rockies Air/Space Museum at Lowry, where I am a volunteer. I have most of the models I need, and most are Italeri. I have an Amodel H-25 Piasecki Mule, but the detail is quite poor, and the clear plastic is far too heavy. I am wondering if another model of this prototype is available. I am also looking for 1/72 models of the Bell OH-58A Kiowa, the Bell H-13 Sioux (Bell 47 of MASH fame), the Bell AH-1G HueyCobra, and the North American OV-10 Bronco - for a display on Vietnam Navy "brown water" deployment.

I have found a couple of models I need made by Mach 2 Production - a USN Sikorski S51-HO3S-1 and a USAF Kaman HH-43 Huskie - but I know nothing about Mach 2 and don't want to spend money for models which are inaccurate or poor detail, as found above. I have heard that Italeri has produced the H-13 and AH-1G in the past and would like to acquire these if anyone has them. There is also a European H-13 - Czech, I believe - but again, I would like to know the quality. I have been very pleased with the Italeri models and would like to acquire them if at all available. Are any other 1/72 "rotorheads" modeling along this line and have the expertise I am seeking?

- mtncolonel

I am modeling US helicopter development in 1/72 as a possible display at the Wings Over the Rockies Air/Space Museum at Lowry, where I am a volunteer. I have most of the models I need, and most are Italeri. I have an Amodel H-25 Piasecki Mule, but the detail is quite poor, and the clear plastic is far too heavy. I am wondering if another model of this prototype is available. I am also looking for 1/72 models of the Bell OH-58A Kiowa, the Bell H-13 Sioux (Bell 47 of MASH fame), the Bell AH-1G HueyCobra, and the North American OV-10 Bronco - for a display on Vietnam Navy "brown water" deployment.

I have found a couple of models I need made by Mach 2 Production - a USN Sikorski S51-HO3S-1 and a USAF Kaman HH-43 Huskie - but I know nothing about Mach 2 and don't want to spend money for models which are inaccurate or poor detail, as found above. I have heard that Italeri has produced the H-13 and AH-1G in the past and would like to acquire these if anyone has them. There is also a European H-13 - Czech, I believe - but again, I would like to know the quality. I have been very pleased with the Italeri models and would like to acquire them if at all available. Are any other 1/72 "rotorheads" modeling along this line and have the expertise I am seeking?

- mtncolonel

Mach 2 kits are very difficult and some of them are close to unbuildable. Check the on line reviews for each particular kit.

I agree with David that if you are happy with Italeri kits and disappointed with the A Models, you will not like the Mach 2 kits - especially after you shell out the asking price! :) Your best bet is to search the infamous auction sites for "Italeri 72 H-13" or the like to seek the OOP or hard-to-find kits you seek. Good luck on your worthwhile project. BTW, the Piaseki Mule kits available are limited to the two kits you mention, so your choices are also limited. I can also recommend the Academy OV-10 kit.

Edited by mquan

Hello John,

- Welcome to the forum. And yes, there is a good representation of fellow rotorheads that frequent this forum. Good to have you added to the gaggle.

- Escoteric once manufactured a 1/72 H-13. It was a multi-media kit (included photoetch for the tail boom, a vac canopy bubble, etc) but I believe it is out of production and hard to find. That may be all well and good since the Italeri H-13 is an acceptable example with decent quality detail. It's only down side is the flattened (not rounded) tail boom tubes on the inside surfaces and they are a little on the thick side. Still a good choice. The italeri kit can be found easy enough on eVil-bay.

- Years ago Monogram kitted two Snap-Together Bell 206's (aka OH-58A) as a rescue and a police chopper. But it is basic and I believe not quite a true 72 scale model. Matchbox released an OH-58D that is quite good and I believe easy enough to find. Italeri's OH-58A and D kits are very acceptable representations of these birds and can be easily found on the eVil-bay relatively cheap.

- Matchbox and Monogram both produced AH-1Gs. Matchbox's release was VERY basic, borderline crude, and I believe representative of a prototype or early G. Monograms issue is "dated" in terms of modern tooling technology, but it is a very acceptable representation. It too can be found on the eVil-bay. Fujimi released several versions of the Cobra in 72 scale. The J, S, and Step III S. All are great kits. All or currently out of production but obtainable from the Bay. For those adventurous enough, you can swap a few parts between the Fujimi S and the Monogram G to get an AH-1Q.

- Hasegawa has released several variations of the AH-1S in different markings, US Army, Japanese, and Israeli. They are basically the same kit, so acquiring any of them will get you a US version and is the best Cobra in 72 scale.

- For the S-51, look for the MPM release instead of the Mach 2. It should still be a currently available kit at more complete hobby shops (or a LHS that will order it for you). MPM also makes a fine R-4.

- I agree with David and Mike. Mach 2 kits are challenging at best. Especially with their gold price tags. If you can find them cheap enough and there are no other alternatives (the Mach 2 HH-43 is the only injection release. There was a vac kit of this (Air Model), but it is only a shell), they are build-able.

- And as Mike said, go with the Academy OV-10 over the Airfix, Hasegawa or Revell examples. You might consider posting a request for the needed kits in the Wants and Disposal section of this forum. I have all of the above noted kits, but sorry, after all, I am......a rotorhead. Can't part with 'em. And this is only the tip of the iceberg. We still need to cover CH-46s, CH-47's, H-3, 19, 34, 37, 60, etc, etc.

- Just my 2.75 cents worth. Model on, Brother of the Rotary Sprue. :smiley20:

Edited by Weedeater

Wow, I have already built every Italeri model you have listed as well as the Bronco. Ken Liotta has already gone over everything quite thoroughly so I won't say much more except that he has described them well. I will say that the R-4 is a tough little bird to build. Mine has lots of flash and the instructions aren't the easiest to follow. Someday I'll have that one finished too.

Good luck on your display Colonel.

It's great that I'm getting all this feedback on 1/72 choppers. I will go on e-bay for the kits mentioned. One other question on this line, I have found dealers offering the Pavla Bell 47 in 1/72. What kind of a kit is it and what quality?

It's great that I'm getting all this feedback on 1/72 choppers. I will go on e-bay for the kits mentioned. One other question on this line, I have found dealers offering the Pavla Bell 47 in 1/72. What kind of a kit is it and what quality?

I was told it was a short-run multi-media kit. I has photo-etch for the tail boom frame instead of plastic. I even believe the bubble canopy is vacu-formed if my memory serves. It is a difficult kit to build, but some say that the tail boom is more accurate in size and scale than the Italeri offering. Still, if you're looking for something easy to build that can go together quickly and well, the Italeri model is the best for that. I've built four myself so I'm speaking from experience there at least.