Arri F6F-3 Finished

dcaponeII

Hi all. I've finished this build over the weekend and I thought I'd let you comment. This is the Arri release of the Otaki F6F-3. The kit was missing the clear parts so I stole the F6F-3 clear parts from my Eduard F6F-5 kit (Thank you Eduard for leaving extra parts in your kits.) The cockpit is the True Details F6F-3 cockpit designed for the Hasegawa kit. It fit with a little fiddling. Mostly I spliced the kit headrest section onto the resin bulkhead to better match the inside contour of the fuselage. The kit is finished with Testor's Modelmaster enamel paints. The decals are leftover from a MicroScale F6F set combined with Aeromaster stencils and Stars. The model depicts an F6F-3 on the Princeton in 1944 which is why I decided to go a little heavy with the weathering since by then the F6F-5 had been in service for a while. I'm looking for other eyes to find the goofs I might should still fix.

dsc04636h.jpg

dsc04632.jpg

dsc04629.jpg

dsc04626n.jpg

I like it! I think your weathering, particularly on the wings, is very good. Tip: you can use a silver colored pencil and just "bounce" it along the prop edges to make little "dings". But, don't over do it! You want to replicate wear and not damage. Props with dents and damage would be replaced immediately.

The old Otaki/AARI/Airfix Hellcat is a classic and you've done it justice! Thanks for posting!

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil. I'll do some touch up on the prop post haste and I agree just a little bit is needed. I should have masked the prop tips too. I do like how the weathering came out on the wings. I preshaded with black under the seams but most of the effect is from postshading with a lightened shade of sea blue shot to the rear along the edge of some card stock. I preshaded using dark grey for the underside and although I've not posted any pic of the underside I think it came out fairly well. We'll find out in February when contests begin again.

You did a good job on the fading of the upper wing surfaces. Weathering dark colors can be challenging. Nice overall work.

Andy