Interior colors

Bob Dedmon

Guys, I'm getting started on the FineMolds 1/48 Judy however the instructions don't show the interior colors that I can recognize (the instructions are in kangi).

Check the list of colors and see if they have numbers along the left side like, C1, C33, C62 etc. These refer to Gunze Sangyo or Mr. Color paints. A listing of these colors can be found here;

Color Reference Chart

Hope this helps.

Check the list of colors and see if they have numbers along the left side like, C1, C33, C62 etc. These refer to Gunze Sangyo or Mr. Color paints. A listing of these colors can be found here;

Color Reference Chart

Hope this helps.

no such luck, I would have been able to work with that. The only colors identified were IJN green and gray. I know the prop was brown and the struts were probably black but that's the extent of it. I know Mitsubishi is usually a clear blue over bare metal and IIRC Kowasaki is a shade of tan.

Hi Bob,

The Mikesh book on Japanese Interiors gives a close Munsell color match to one part in the NASM collection as 7.5Y 3/4 and A/N.32 - if you're like most folks on the planet, you don't have a clue what color that is! (at least I don't!)

It is safe to assume that the Judy interior was some sort of green as most late war aircraft were. Off the top of my head, Mitsubishi interior green is close to the 340xx range in the Federal Standard range. If you're not that worried about getting the "exact" color, a mid to dark green 'not too yellow' would be close.

Also consider searching through the message boards at www.j-aircraft.com - there is a ton of info there.

Regards, Tim

PS: the late war aircraft could have been the blue/green Aotake over bare metal but MOST aircraft did not have this color in the cockpit area. It is possible that some very late war aircraft were put into service without being painted, but there isn't a great deal of evednce of this taking place.

The tan used on the Kawasaki aircraft was mainly in the Ki-61/Ki-100 as I recall.

Thanks Clare!

I didn't type that one out, as I thought it was just another marking without reference - now I have that site bookmarked! :smiley20: