Hobby Shops across the Nation.

Mark Deliduka

Hey all, I'm seeing an increasing number of posts asking about Hobby Shops in other cities. So, in order to facilitate things for all you travelers, I've started this Sticky Thread here to allow anyone who wishes to check out our very own Hobby Shop locator resource here on the site. Now, instead of posting a question asking where any hobby shops are, you can check this Thread out first and save your fingers the abuse of typing! :smiley17:

Here is the link to our Hobby Shop address spreadsheet in Members Services:

Hobby Shops Across the Nation

Also, if anyone wants to take this info and establish a map (like Google Map or something) showing all these sites on it similar to the one done for all the shows and events, I'll add that link to this page as well.

I'm leaving this Thread open for anyone wishing to post updated info on any Hobby Shop address changes, openings or closings in your town as well in order to keep this info updated as much as possible. So if you know about a Hobby Shop change of address, opening or closing, feel free to post it here in this Thread.

Thank you all for helping me help others and for keeping this vital information current.

Done... http://www.f1m.com/main/map/node

Blue blobs are Hobby Shops - the odd green blob is a show/contest.

Eric

Hey all, I'm seeing an increasing number of posts asking about Hobby Shops in other cities. So, in order to facilitate things for all you travelers, I've started this Sticky Thread here to allow anyone who wishes to check out our very own Hobby Shop locator resource here on the site. Now, instead of posting a question asking where any hobby shops are, you can check this Thread out first and save your fingers the abuse of typing! :smiley17:

Here is the link to our Hobby Shop address spreadsheet in Members Services:

Hobby Shops Across the Nation

Also, if anyone wants to take this info and establish a map (like Google Map or something) showing all these sites on it similar to the one done for all the shows and events, I'll add that link to this page as well.

I'm leaving this Thread open for anyone wishing to post updated info on any Hobby Shop address changes, openings or closings in your town as well in order to keep this info updated as much as possible. So if you know about a Hobby Shop change of address, opening or closing, feel free to post it here in this Thread.

Thank you all for helping me help others and for keeping this vital information current.

What I've done on F1M is what I would like to do on a new version

of the IPMS web site in the future. Maintaining a spreadsheet is a royal pain.

It would be easier to have it in a database where many people can contribute.

Eric

Thank you Eric. I appreciate this.

Thanks guys for doing this, cool idea! The shops for Albuquerque New mexico are way innaccurate. Out west Hobbies closed years ago, Hobbies N stuff has moved and there is a new one in town that is the latest and greatest called Hobby Proz. I believe Ken Liotta sent in the updates to Tim Darrah. I can't update the map but I thought I'd add these tidbits for anyone coming to ABQ.

Edited by TheDude

• 1 month later...

Not sure if you're the one to advise of this. But went to check out the hobby shop in Westminster called Accu-Scale the other day and sadly, the store location is now a nail salon. :smiley19: At least it was just down the street from the Art warehouse, so it was not a total waste of gas... Just thought you should know - I think.

Anthony

I had also sent Tim Darrah a number of Hobby Shop locations that had been left out of Southern California. I don't see them listed on the map. Can someone get that info and please update the map? Thank you.

FYI...

The map is not part of the IPMS web site, it's in Eric's F1M web site, I only update what you see on the Members Services portion of this great web site.

As for updating the list on the Members Services, I do that each time someone sends me info and I then send the updated list to the Webmaster once a month. If someone knows of "bad info', please zap me a PM or e-mail at ipmssec@ipmsusa.org with the correct info.

Tim

I'm wondering id there is a way to make a map like that that is attached to or linked to directly from our IPMS USA Hobby Shop page so that someone can check the page and see the local hobby shops without having to download an Excel spreadsheet first. It would be so much simpler to have something that is that visual and quick to access and might help more people who are looking for local hobby shops to come here first instead of going to other Forums to post a question.

• 11 months later...

One of my Director of Foreign Liaison duties is "tour guide" for members from other branches visiting the US.

I have a request for the name/location of “The very best modelling shop” in Manhattan nearest to 145 West 44th Street, Millenium Broadway Hotel New York.

I gave him several names from our hobby shop directory and a pointer to Eric's map, but I'd be glad of any personal knowledge or updated info that I can pass on to the requestor.

-- Jan's Hobby Shop, 1435 Lexington Ave, phone: 212-987-4765

-- Lee's Art Shop, 220 West 57th St, phone: 212-247-0110

-- Red Caboose, 23 West 45th St (Downstairs), phone: 212-575-0155

Thanks

As for updating the list on the Members Services, I do that each time someone sends me info and I then send the updated list to the Webmaster once a month. If someone knows of "bad info', please zap me a PM or e-mail at ipmssec@ipmsusa.org with the correct info.

As the guy who started the list on the website, I began my list with Walt Fink's list and had to cut about 2/3 of that listing out as the shops had closed. I also used lists given to me by by wholesalers I had access to, weeding out the ones that did not do plastic models took some time and a lot of phone calls.

Updating the list is a pain, as when a shop opens or closes we have to wait for word to come to us!

I gotta give Ponch Alves a shout. He runs Freedom Discount Books and Hobbies Inc. in Norman Oklahoma. Ponch is an outstanding fellow and runs a great shop and e-bay store. Pay him a visit if you have a chance -

Freedom Discount Books and Hobbies Inc.

William "Ponch" C. Alves

1005 N. Flood Ave. Suite #113

Norman, Oklahoma 73069

E-mail: ponchthered1@yahoo.com

E-bay store: http://www.stores.ebay.com/freedomdiscountbooksandhobbies

• 2 years later...

I have another Hobby Shop to add to the list for Texas. It's in Greenville, Texas and is located at the following address:

Greenville Hobby Depot
2610 Lee St.
Greenville, Texas 75401

It is run by a good friend named Gerry Satterwaite and he also sells trains and supplies; Warhammer and other Games Workshop gaming supplies as well as models, paints and tools.

He also does online orders as well. Here is is website:

www.hobbydepot.biz

I would appreciate the listing and map be updated with this new info. Also, I know of some changes to the Southern California list that I'll have to get updated. I'll post more later when I do.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all you guys do to keep this organization going!

• 2 months later...
Guest PetrolGator

Two in Pensacola, both run by good guys:

Bobe's Hobby House

5719 N w St, Pensacola, FL 32505
(850) 433-2187

Bobe travels to a lot of Florida shows and has a good selection in his store. This is the only place in Pcola I can get Model Master acrylic paints for WWII USN ships. (5-N, 5-H, etc)

John's Models

1206 E Kingsfield Rd, Cantonment, FL 32533
(850) 968-6008

John hits a LOT of Region 6 and Florida shows and always brings a huge amount of kits. His shop is also the home of the Pensacola IPMS club. John can pretty much find you anything you want.

NEW ORLEANS:

Hub Hobby Shop

3829 AirlineDr, Metarie, LA 70001

(504) 828-6868

Good guys who will know you by first name before you EVER expect them to. Both are extremely knowledgeable and will try to get you what you need. The shop has a good selection with a 50/50 split on plastic models and model rail road stuff. Consequently, it's a great source for diorama supplies.

BATON ROUGE

Hobby Towne

8484 Airline HwyBaton Rouge, LA

This one is a bit of a drive for me but is worth the trip. The shop has an insanely large model ship selection and extensive painting supplies. The owner is an IPMS member, though not terribly active anymore. He runs it with his family. Service is excellent.
(225) 928-1534

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Sadly many old style family run independent hobby shops have disappeared over the years here in the UK.

I guess it is a similar situation Stateside.

A new shop in Fullerton? That is excellent news. There are still a couple more here in the Phoenix area that I need to check out. I sure do miss Brookhurst.

On 12/27/2021 at 2:49 AM, noelsmith said:

Sadly many old style family run independent hobby shops have disappeared over the years here in the UK.

I guess it is a similar situation Stateside.

The topic of the demise of our local brick-and-mortars is both longstanding continuing and longstanding.  I do miss the weekly trip to my local shop(s).  However, as I've watched several decline and disappear, I note that they were often passive as ecommerce surged and did not aggressively create a niche for their products and services.  I also offer that, IMHO,, the transfusion that appears to have kept the diminishing number of shops going has been picking the bones of the remaining business from the shops that have gone under.

Sad.

David, you mentioned about local hobby shops being passive in the face of ecommerce. They face the same problems as any other retail business. Rents and business rates and taxes ever increasing, Cost of any salaries that have to come out of the business. Buying in stock and waiting for it to sell at a reasonable profit to sustain the business with potential customers often just window shopping, getting straight onto their smart phones to compare on line prices, and ordering from some big warehouse operation instead.

Not all small outfits can afford to set up ecommerce themselves as the on costs of having to pay for IT expertise to design and set up a website and maintain it, as well as their own input to keep it always up to date.

Are they really passive, or just being steam rolled into giving up against relentless pressure by on line giants and modellers going for the cheaper deals they can get on line?

I for one miss a number of local hobby shops disappearing, being able to browse and occasionally meet up with like minded folk in the shop, and owners who were model makers in their own right with their expertise.

Edited by noelsmith
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I’m with you Noel. I’d rather spend a little more to maintain the privilege of having a local shop to shop at, as opposed to getting the cheapest price possible online.