What's Your Favorite Sci-fi Model Subject?

RGronovius

As a kid I liked the AMT Star Trek line of kits and as I got older, the MPC Star Wars kits were the coolest. But I think the line of kits I really enjoyed as a kid was the Revell reboxed line they called Robotech. I especially enjoyed the kits that looked like walking tanks (4- and 6-legged). I didn't like the ones that looked like giant robots though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a kid I liked the AMT Star Trek line of kits and as I got older, the MPC Star Wars kits were the coolest. But I think the line of kits I really enjoyed as a kid was the Revell reboxed line they called Robotech. I especially enjoyed the kits that looked like walking tanks (4- and 6-legged). I didn't like the ones that looked like giant robots though.

Great topic Rgronovius, go for it, I'll be watching, and waiting to add my 2 cents! I got some of these in my collection...hehehe.... :smiley20:

BTW: "Oddball" is one of my "All-Time favorite" movie characters Pyrman!

"Crappy German Tanks, pee gaz all over the place, lousy workmanship" Great film! :smiley17:

I'd have to say, for SF models, Star Trek kits are my favorites! Ertl kits aren't the best, Tamiya is, in my humble opinion, but Trek Star Ships, especially the illuminated versions, are the most satisfying. :smiley16:

C'MON PEOPLE, THIS IS A GOOD SUBJECT, PARTICIPATE! :excl:

I'm sure a lot of you have some very cool model theme subjects you prefer, so join the discussion...... :huh: ...wassa matta wif u?

Do I need to poke you with a sharp stick, or what? :blink:

Being a "treadhead" at heart, my experience with SF kits is limited to the 3 I've built thus far. My favorite was the B5 Starfury and if they available in plastic, I would own every B5 kit a company could produce - probably more than one of each. I have three scratch-build B5 projects on the "back-burners" for some time down the road, but with 350 armor kits awaiting production, who knows when those will get built.

From a purely visual standpoint, I've always favored the Star Trek subjects. When Paramount auctioned off all those ST props a couple years back, I was drooling like a wolf at a kill site! I do have 5 or 6 ST kits in the stash - also awaiting an appropriate slot in the production schedule - so I'll have ample opportunity to enjoy those kits.

I like the Star Trek stuff. Especially 'Kirk's ENTERPRISEs' ... I would LOVE to get an ENTERPRISE refitted or an ENTERPRISE-A ... They're my favorite ENTERPRISEs.

I like any of the Finemolds Star Wars stuff and also the old Halcyon Alien things. Not easy but some neatt hings. Figures are a whole different ballgame

Dave

Now that's more like it!!

Thank You, see, everybody had something different to post!!!

Keep it going guys!! There's tons of different themes!!! :smiley20:

Papa is happy now.....

papa_20smurf-133x128-144x137.jpg

I enjoy Bandai 1/144 Gundam kits for a little light model building. I have two built and another two in the building dock.

Speaking of Gundam's which are a HUGE success in Japan, and getting pretty darn popular here too, here's a few images of some of my Robot collection. It contains Gundams, and other brands and builds as well. One of my favorite collectibles are Robots, they just reall "Push my Buttons"....hahahaha... :smiley17:

"That was a joke Son, a joke....." Foghorn Leghorn

It's a very cool "Mini-Movie" of my entire collection. I don't know how to post a quick-time film clip on here, so here's a link, go about halfway down the page, after the Yellow Text Boxes, you'll see the clip and title.

You might as well see it all!

http://www.simonmercs.biz/INFO.html

If anyone here knows how to post the clip onto this site, please feel free to help me out and do so, thanks. :smiley20:

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy building Mechs. Usually I limit myself to Bandai Master Grade but I tend to go nuts with conversion and upgrade parts and accessories. I'm also interested in trying out some of the 1/72 Armored Core by Kotobukiya. Some of those mechs just look too mean looking to past up.

I agree GMobile17, those kits are really cool! I like Robots and Mechs a lot, and the high quality of those kits, makes the project much more pleasant.

One of my friends builds many of them, and does reall superb work with that type of build. B)

Thanks for sharing! :smiley20:

bandai-000810L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite subject I would say would be anything to do with Gigers Alien. I have all the styrene kits and alot of vinyl and resin garage kits. I have all the McFarlane Alien figures as well as the new ones by Neca and old ones from Kenner/Hasbro. Also all the small Japanese bubble gum gasaphon figures. I will

never forgive myself for never getting an Original Kenner Alien. I worked at Toys R us at the time the movie was released. I will never forget setting an endcap full of these figures that were selling for 12.94! I should have bought them all but who knew what a collectible this would be in a time when no one really collected much of anything! The Halcyon kit #HT01 and Japanese figure by Tsukuda I have are knock offs of the Kenner it is not the same as having the original bad boy toy!

As far as favorite ships I would say it has always been the Colonial Viper!

Max Bryant

Great choices, HR Gieger's work is awesome!! Too bad about not snagging that "Bad Boy" at such an outrageously low price!!

A favorite is hard for me.

Love the Star Wars universe of stuff looking all beat up and with FineMolds doing the kits in 72nd (my preferred) makes it all the better (just wish they were cheaper).

Also love the Battletech series. Wish some of the old kits by Macross, etc would get rereleased so I could complete my 72nd scale Heavy Lance.

Still trying to scrap up a Starfury or two.

Would love to get the 72nd resin kits from Battlestar (old and new series) as well as a 302 from SG1.

Would also like to see some more 1/1000 scale starships from Star Trek. Keep hoping that the USS Bozeman will get released. There is a guy working on a garage kit of this but haven't seen any updates for a while.

Also got to get my hands on one of the new Daleks from Airfix when it gets released. And maybe pick up a Tardis as well.

See, I could go on and on...

Oh I hear you on that! So many cool kits out there!!! The Tardis kit, by Airfix (I think), got excellent revues, I'd like to do one myself, great post, thanks! :smiley20:

I am currently trying to finish a Fine Molds Millennium Falcon. Its not a perfect kit, but pretty nice...

Pics here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/13613684@N00/...57607080093286/

2822858065_beb393e9eb.jpg

Eric

Looking good Eric, you got the faded red/rust color details perfect dude!!!

Please keep us updated on her progress, and thanks for the very cool post!! :smiley32:

I'm going to step in here with a nomination for the Aurora Moon Bus from "2001: A Space Odyssey" that was issued soon after the film ended its theatrical run. I bought two from K-Mart apparently on Blue Light Special for $1.83 each. The price tag is still on the sealed shrink wrap of one box. I built the other one. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the whole thing. The interior cabin and especially the control room had instrumentation that was very close to the sets used in the film (according to stills I found in magazines of the time), which allowed very accurate painting. I've always loved the film and have acquired various kits of the vehicles and figures. :smiley27:

Ed

I agree, great kit, but with one major error. The Front Glass sections, encase the entire front "Nose/Cabin", cut out/indent/vent section. This is not accurate. The film versions glass front detail is very much like a "bus", flat panel glass, no curved extension to almost the Hull's very nose forefront. The 15 inch resin kit, found at some resin garage kit sites, is more accurate in overall detail.

mbus_53_-422x337.jpg

Notice how that forward Cockpit glass, or "Canopy" Glass, does not extend all the way to the nose, in the front in this build?

That is the only real flaw in the kit your speaking of. Look at the "Moonbus" scenes in the Film, you'll see I am correct on this detail.

Agreed! It was not just years, but a couple of decades after I built my Aurora kit that the nose glass details were finally explained in print, and I realized the error in the kit and its instructions. So, I have the curved frontal glass in place on my model. The next build will get a couple of scratchbuilt flat windows back toward the cockpit where they belong and the incorrect front glass will be scrapped. By the way, who makes and what is the cost of a 15-inch Moon Bus kit?

Ed

I got this one from Monsters in Motion, maker was not specified, probably their own "in house" casting. Cost was around 200.00. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor, read Harlan Ellison's story, about a future, where specially equipped cars, battle it out on the highway with all sorts of weaponry, aptly called "Vroom"!

You'll get a real "feel", in a "mental picture" sort of way, for the "Car Wars" concept! :smiley20:

At the moment I'm starting to pick up some of the Votoms kits when I can find them.

Here's a few things that I've done in the past:

A heavy rescue vehicle:scan0361.jpg

A Flea light fighter:scan0360.jpg

A Viper:scan0358.jpg

A rookie on a racing T-Rex:scan0357.jpg

A skimmer class attack craft:scan0353.jpg

A light class mech, the Fireant:scan0356.jpg

and finally, a Skimmer used for rail maintennance: scan0348.jpg

I've seen the "Skimmer" and the "Flea Fighter" once before, on an another site.

Believe I commented "How Cool" I thought these were already, on that site, but again, Very Cool Ikar!! :smiley20: