What's Your Favorite Sci-fi Model Subject?

RGronovius

Ok, Youngin's. I'm going to go back to the late '50s and early '60s, when Space Models were Space Models, not this Star Wars stuff of today....

My all time fav is the Revell "Space Station". kit # H-1804, I believe. I also like the old Mongoram Space Taxi the funky Strombecker stuff that looked like a collection of flying pipes.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, Youngin's. I'm going to go back to the late '50s and early '60s, when Space Models were Space Models, not this Star Wars stuff of today....

My all time fav is the Revell "Space Station". kit # H-1804, I believe. I also like the old Mongoram Space Taxi the funky Strombecker stuff that looked like a collection of flying pipes.

I built the Revell Space Station as a kid! Very cool kit, built it, to play with it! Must have been around 8 or 9 years old. Not sure on the others, memories are bit fuzzy that far back...

Most "Space" models then, were pretty much oriented to "Real Space" vehicles.

"Movie and TV" stuff followed soon after, with Irwin Allen TV shows, and the Star Trek series.

Good times.

I've posted a gallery of the finished Falcon at:

http://gallery.me.com/aitala#100024&bg...k&view=grid

Eric

I am currently trying to finish a Fine Molds Millennium Falcon. Its not a perfect kit, but pretty nice...

Pics here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/13613684@N00/...57607080093286/

2822858065_beb393e9eb.jpg

Eric

Very nice detailing, and I do like your "Tiling" and "Plating" paintwork!! "Perfect" isn't the issue, it's "As good as you can do within your level of expertise", and it looks quite well executed to me Eric! :smiley20:

BTW: Great reference, and painting swatch graphics on the wall, that's doing your "homework", good job Dude! :smiley2:

• 4 months later...

That's the mini poster that comes with the Fine Molds kit. I stuck it in a frame for ease of use.

Eric

Very nice detailing, and I do like your "Tiling" and "Plating" paintwork!! "Perfect" isn't the issue, it's "As good as you can do within your level of expertise", and it looks quite well executed to me Eric! :smiley20:

BTW: Great reference, and painting swatch graphics on the wall, that's doing your "homework", good job Dude! :smiley2:

I'm NOT a big Sci-Fi fan, but....... the new Snap kit form Pegasus of the Martian War Machine from the 1950's movie, War of the Worlds, just gotta be in my collection!!

Is LED lighting difficult??

Bo Roberts

• 1 month later...
I'm NOT a big Sci-Fi fan, but....... the new Snap kit form Pegasus of the Martian War Machine from the 1950's movie, War of the Worlds, just gotta be in my collection!!

Is LED lighting difficult??

Bo Roberts

Thats a question, I get asked a lot by e-mail, and it's relative to your knowledge on the basic circuit required. I always answer, go to the library, get a primer on electronic circuits, and get familiar with the material you want to use. Stick with 3 volts, no resistors needed at that power level, and make a simple "loop" circuit, with a switch.

It's hard if you don't do a little homework, it's easy if you do. :smiley20:

Mine would be the only one I've built. An X Wing Star wars fighter. I don`t recall the manufacturer but I do remember detailing it a lot. I had to open up window panels and the pilot figure needed some help. The fun part was weathering it up since you can do more than you can on aircraft which are my usual subjects. I really liked the ships in the newer Star Wars but never modeled any of them.

Chris

• 2 months later...
My favorite subject has been and always will be Star Trek. I do like the Macross and Robotech lines though.

Cool! I do like the Robotech's and Macross kits too! So precise, and everything fits! Superb kits, nice choices!! :smiley20:

The old AMT kits for ST are fine, they just re-released them all, as well!

Some newer ones by Polar Lights, the 1:350th sizes, are pretty darn good too! :smiley16:

Welcome to IPMS se5022!

I tend to gravitate to the small Warhammer 40k stuff when I need a break from building autos. I also like the Aliens power loader, but to do all of the corrections on the kit, I need more skills.

I tend to gravitate to the small Warhammer 40k stuff when I need a break.....
I too enjoy the Warhammer 40k armor. I received the Imperial Guard Valkyrie for Father's Day. :smiley20: It's quater-way built, just need to detail paint the cargo/troop bay and cockpit before I do the final assembly. Comes with 2 door gunners and several weapons options.

ig_valkyrie_kansi.jpg

Mike, it was nice seeing your Sentinel in FSM's May issue. :smiley32:

I too enjoy the Warhammer 40k armor. I received the Imperial Guard Valkyrie for Father's Day. :smiley20: It's quater-way built, just need to detail paint the cargo/troop bay and cockpit before I do the final assembly. Comes with 2 door gunners and several weapons options.

ig_valkyrie_kansi.jpg

Nice looking kit there Pyrman! Kinda' reminds me of the "Aliens" Dropship, but with a more conventional configuration, like an Apache attack Helicopter "look" to it, sweet! :smiley20:

ig_valkyrie_kansi.jpg

My friend actually pointed that exact kit out to me before it was released saying "This is you!" It's one of those in the back of my mind when I decide to get it.

May issue??? Where? Or do you mean the online gallery?

I have kits from Star Trek (kits from all except TOS), all the StarWars movies, just getting started with Warhammer(gotta find one of those Valkyries!), one each from Aliens and Independence Day, so to call one of them a favorite would be a misnomer, but Starwars stands in the lead with Warhammer a close second. I like Trek, I grew up with it from the very beginning, but the ships are too clean and smooth, too "pretty". With only a couple exceptions (Voyager in one episode and Enterprise 'B') none had any battle damage, scars, dirt, nothin' that I remember. Again with only a couple exceptions, all the ships from StarWars were beat to hell, or at least heavily weathered and scarred from space debris, or whatever. They just seem more realistic. It's like putting a Nimitz class carrier next to a cruise ship. The Robotech kits from Revell I'm not even remotely familiar with. What and when were they?

I have kits from Star Trek (kits from all except TOS), all the StarWars movies, just getting started with Warhammer(gotta find one of those Valkyries!), one each from Aliens and Independence Day, so to call one of them a favorite would be a misnomer, but Starwars stands in the lead with Warhammer a close second. I like Trek, I grew up with it from the very beginning, but the ships are too clean and smooth, too "pretty". With only a couple exceptions (Voyager in one episode and Enterprise 'B') none had any battle damage, scars, dirt, nothin' that I remember. Again with only a couple exceptions, all the ships from StarWars were beat to hell, or at least heavily weathered and scarred from space debris, or whatever. They just seem more realistic. It's like putting a Nimitz class carrier next to a cruise ship. The Robotech kits from Revell I'm not even remotely familiar with. What and when were they?

Oh I agree with Ships looking like they've been, "around the block once or twice", much more realistic! My favorite versions of any project I get to build, is when the client chooses, "Weathered, heavily weathered".

Of course, it's a "personal" choice, many modelers like a "Showroom Clean" look, but I'm with you on that! Dirt, scars, fuel leaks, battle damage, repaired Hull Plating, lovely stuff!! :smiley17:

Good post Michael658, and welcome to IPMS!! :smiley20:

Oh yeah, I recently bought the Pegasus War of the Worlds space craft kit. As a kid, the 50's WOTW movie and the old black & white movie "THEM!" were, and still are favorites! I'm 33, but I like the vintage sci-fi stuff, as well as the classic Star Wars and Aliens stuff. I also got The Invisible Man reissue from Moebius. Love the book and thought it'd be a good companion to it.

Cool! I've never seen the 50's-era War of the Worlds movie. Maybe someday I'll find it to rent or something.

Your kiddin'................. :smiley22:

You never saw the original WOTW!! :blink:

Duuuuude, get it, even today, it's a fantastic film!! :lol:

Your kiddin'................. :smiley22:

You never saw the original WOTW!! :blink:

Duuuuude, get it, even today, it's a fantastic film!! :lol:

I know. I need to. Hopefully soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the Star Trek kits, they were fun to build. I built a few smoothies as a kid but as i aged and became infected with AMS, my finished kit tally began to decline. I wanted the darn things perfect. Oh well...

I do like the new Polar Lights offerings in 1/1000 scale. The idea of one constant scale is very appealing. You can build a fleet and have a constant scale reference. And the kitbashing opportunities are there as well.

I hope Round 2 continues with the 1/350th line...The ships are huge, the wow factor is there...but they eat shelf...er...real estate quickly.

Id like to see someone try the Starship Enterprise floating over the Carrier Enterprise in 1/350th scale...that would be impressive.