Restoring raised panel lines.

phantomordie

I've seen this work. It is kind of hard to describe. Take a sharp xacto. cut a line where the missing panel line is. Have the xacto blade angled at about 45 degrees from the model's surface (i.e. the blade is not running vertically along the model, but is tilted to 45 degrees, left or right of vertical.) Once the line is cut, the xacto has raised a ridge of plastic directly next to the cut. Normally you would sand this off. DON'T. When subsequently airbrushing (priming), spray into the gap left between the plastic and the ridge left by the xacto cut. This fills in the cut and gives you a restored, raised panel line. It does work, but takes practice, as it is so different from rescribing an engraved panel line which is what we are use to.

Also,

You can replicate them with stretched sprue. Much the same way as armor modelers make weld seams. Of course, you won't stipple them and it won't work on resin.

Mark

I just did this for a review kit I have been working on (for way too long)

I simply used some streched sprue. I took some of the extra lenghts and stretched 4-5 so I could pick from the various widths. I cut one end off, put a quick line of liquid glue on the spot I wanted the line, put the spure on that spot, then gave it another quick brush with the liquid glue.

It worked much better than I thought it would, and it looks great after a little sanding (very minimal).

It's the J7W2 that will be up on the review boards in the next few weeks. I have to take some final detail shots (trying to find the time to get the last bit of weathering done I want to do)

• 1 month later...

I have not done this for a long time but I always used stretched sprue. Not many kits have raised panel lines anymore. I use the JIM BAUMANN method to make the stretched sprue. You can find it in our newsletter 1st Quarter edition 2009

http://www.sumter-shawafb-ipms.org/

or in modelwarship.com