Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ghodges

1/48 -3 Banshee

Recommended Posts

Man, this aircraft forum has been too quiet this week!

 

This is the CollectAire 1/48 F-2H-3 Banshee.

100_2495.jpg

This is actually a very nice kit. It's hollow molded (as compared to their old SOLID F2H-2 early Banjo kit), well engineered and nicely detailed. It comes with seamless intake and exhast areas and fan faces for both. The interior is good, if not overly detailed. The metal landing gear is sturdy and well detailed. The only enhancements I've added are the wingtip lights, an improved (spare parts) refueling probe, and some strip plastic shackles on the wing pylons.

 

I'm going to do this one in NMF, which the USN used for a very short time in the mid 50's (no tip tanks and with a barberpole striped probe!). I put on the gloss black primer this evening in preparation for trying Phil Hale's NMF method using Floquil Bright Silver and MM Sealer. I'll also use Alclad in addition to the base silver for the differential paneling. I'll post more pics when I get it done in a few days.

 

Lets see some pics of some of the things y'all are working on! Cheers!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gil, we've barely recovered from drooling over your T-28. And already you're at it again with another awesome looking build. It's lookin great and I can hardly wait to see more pics. Model on, Brother of the Liquid Sprue. :smiley20:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH yeah !! I've almost bought that kit one time but I thought it was a little pricey... that was a moment of insanity. Looking good so far. :smiley20:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is one of their better kits. Got one in the stash and thinking of picking up another before he stops production. Glad to see it being built!

 

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thing sort of resembles the Blackhawk F-90 at the moment......

100_2500.jpg

This unremarkable pic shows the gloss black base to be used for the NMF. Its MM gloss black, thinned with lacquer thinner, and then airbrushed with a coat of Future. This should be enough to fill any minute scratches left on the surface and provide a smooth skin for the NMF. We'll see......Also, note the screw and forceps used to handle and hang the model while painting it. The rear deck details will cover the screw hole; no need to fill it! Cheers!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gil,

 

Love :wub: your step-by-step construction photos and very helpful supporting commentary as you go along.

 

Thanks for sharing and I'm really enjoying following your build.

 

Looking forward to seeing you in Phoenix and TAKE CARE,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the home-brew silver on......

100_2511.jpg

 

100_2514.jpg

I very happy with the results so far! The stuff is a lot like Alclad; hard to to the touch and quite smooth. I'll be masking over it to apply some other "shades" over the next couple of days. See the "Tips" forum for the how-to on brewing this mixture. Cheers!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some other colors on the Banshee

100_2520.jpg

 

100_2525.jpg

I used 3 colors of Alclad for the various panels: Semi-matte aluminum, white aluminum, and steel. I masked with Tamiya tape and the yellow Sherwin Williams low tack tape (a close copy of Tamiya tape). Both my "home-brew" silver finish and the Alclad stood up to the masking with NO problems. The next colors will be the squadron red trimming and the flat black for the radome and the anti-glare shield. Comments, critiques, and questions welcome, as always! Cheers!

 

GIL :smiley16:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome NMF work so far Gil. :smiley20: Great job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

100_2567.jpg

 

100_2562.jpg

 

100_2563.jpg

 

100_2565.jpg

Got 'er done! With the exception of a few minor "dings" (hamhandness on my part) I'm satisfied. This was an experiment with the home brew NMF, and it worked better than I'd hoped. The "K"'s and the "109";s are from the spares box, while all other decals are from the kit. The refueling probe was painted. The final clear coat is a semi-matte, which tones it all down without totally losing the effect of "anodized aluminum" that I was trying to replicate. Questions and coments welcome. Cheers!

 

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work!! Great job, Gil!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Nice..... You did a great job on that old bird.

 

Texas :smiley20:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm inspired. Gotta grab a victim from the stash for an attempt at the full ALCLAD job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A work of art. Very nice.

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gil, you make me want to take up any other hobby but this one. I mean you are setting a real high standard there. Excellent work sir.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Splendid finish on a great looking jet.

Kent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm stunned! Totally awesome work! Someday I'll be able to do that too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice job! Nice to see a natural metal variation on a Navy aircraft from the 1950's. Happy Holidays,

 

Mark Fiedler (aka aAzZ09)

IPMS #14333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...