LVG c.VI

PaulD

My first post to this forum is the last kit I've finished....

A Wingnutwings LVG C.VI in 1/32nd scale. A very nice kit with no fit problems worth mentioning. An out-of-the-box build except for the crew, engine pushrods, and the prop. The crew are Tamiya 1/35th scale figures with their uniforms puttied over to make insulated flight suits. Goggles are blister pack plastic. Masking the kit prop to paint the wood laminations didn't seem like fun, so instead I scratchbuilt the prop with contrasting wood planks and then added the hub from the kit prop.

For the wood finish of the fuselage I sprayed a base layer of Tamiya acrylic and then drew the grain pattern with Prismacolor pencils. The harsh-looking pencil lines were then softened and blended using a brush dampened with thinner.

The rigging is a mix of steel wire and fishing line. For turnbuckles I started with some plastic ones I found in a model railroad shop, but these weren't quite right so I switched to using short pieces of wire insulation.

LVG_CVI.jpg

th_LVG_CVI_woodx.jpg

Edited by PaulD

Wow! That looks positively stunning! Any chance you could post some more pics; especially some overall shots? I know I'd like to get a better view of the lozenge patterns and and see more of your fine work! Thanks!

GIL :smiley16:

Paul, That's fantastic :smiley20: ......and a HUGE tezzz. :smiley19: I agree with Gil, more pictures please. :smiley17:

Now I know why so many biplane models never make it out of the my stash. I've never come close that that level of work. The prop sets off the whole thing. I too would love to see some more pics especially the rigging. Thats the part that keeps me from building biplanes.

Excellent job

Chris

Thanks Chris, as for the difficulty of rigging, larger scales like 1/32nd are actually easier than the smaller kits. Since the upper wing comes with top and bottom halves, I left the top half off until the rigging was finished. This way you can pass the line all the way through the bottom half and use a small weight like a clothespin to pull it taut until the glue dries.

LVG_CVI_.jpg