Ford/Cosworth DFV Head Painting Tip needed

TimDarrah

Ok guys, I'm working on one of the old Tamiya 1/20th F-1 cars and the head covers have "Ford" stamped on them. They are to be painted white. I've always had a problem getting them to look right. I've dry-brushed the white over the black, looked like crap. I've tried to paint the white on, but that looked even worse. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ok guys, I'm working on one of the old Tamiya 1/20th F-1 cars and the head covers have "Ford" stamped on them. They are to be painted white. I've always had a problem getting them to look right. I've dry-brushed the white over the black, looked like crap. I've tried to paint the white on, but that looked even worse. Any ideas?
if you're talking about the raised "FORD" lettering, use a sharpened artists colored pencil.

Paint it flat white first. Then black. Then lightly sand the black away off of the raised letters.

I was thinking of doing that but didn't know if it would work. Thanks

Might also be a good idea to use something like Tamiya spray lacquer for the white, which is pretty hard, then use something like black acrylic on top.

Eric

BTW - I have heard that Hasegawa will be releasing a 1/20th scale Lotus 79 kit in 2010... should be cool.

Paint it flat white first. Then black. Then lightly sand the black away off of the raised letters.

A new Lotus, way Kool. I have both of their Ferrari 126C2s and the 126CK.

This may be more information than you want. The cam covers on the Cosworth DFV are cast magnesium. These parts oxidize to a very dark grey, such as MM Interior Black. The letters in FORD are usually highlighted by removing the oxidation with sandpaper. BTW, this is the same color as the Hewland DG300 Transaxle used with most of the DFV applications.

I highlight the letters with a Prismacolor silver pencil.

Dick Christ

Dick,

That is not more info than I needed, it was perfect, thanks.

Thanks,

Okay here's an outta box idea. What if you paint them white first. Then paint then black. Finally use a very fine sandpaper 1200 - 2000 grit and gently sand the black of the raised letters?

Duane