Belgian Pine Trees

TimDarrah

Might anyone know where I could get two pine trees for a Battle of the Bulge dio?

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

There is a German company that makes (made?) great pine trees with, and without the snow. Got a bag of these trees at Frey's Evergreen Plantation, a great Christmas tree nursery and model RR shop near Willow Street, PA and have used them in several dioramas. Here's a couple of the trees next to my 1/72 Dragon Rapide, with Whiskey Jack decals & mods:

DragonRapide_3b.jpg

Maybe cruise the Walthers online catalog, if your LHS hasn't got these trees?

I bought a bag of trees from Busch, that's probably the German company that you're talking about. They look good but small for 1/35th, but they'll still work.

In order to get a nice, tall, non-Christmas-tree appearing pine tree, I might suggest a more natural approach. As it's now winter, stroll the neighborhood and find a youpon holly tree (bush) and trim off a few of the sprigs. They are of variable length and diameter, and with a few snips and some dry-brushed burnt umber oil paint, they make a great trunk for a conifer 'pine' type of tree. You can then dab some white glue to the bare branches and stick Woodland Scenics colored foams and ground cover to it until you have the right look. It works great and can be varied to look a bit battle damaged.

Kendall Brown...NCT, Plano, Texas