Flat Future

Guest Chrgr440RT

Guest Chrgr440RT

I have heard this many places and seem to remember reading it somewhere, but I have never spoke to anyone who ever did it. Does adding lighter fluid to Future render it a flat coat? If so, what ratio and do you need to do anything to the mix to make it work? If anyone has ever done this with positve or negative outcomes please let me know. Thanks,

Pardon my ignorance, but of what use would flat Future be?

I cannot for the life me recall any instance in which the gloss finish of Future was considered a detriment. If a flat finish is needed, then a flat coat generally suffices....

I don't get it.

Kip

Pardon my ignorance, but of what use would flat Future be?

I cannot for the life me recall any instance in which the gloss finish of Future was considered a detriment. If a flat finish is needed, then a flat coat generally suffices....

I don't get it.

Kip

Flat Future is used to make a nice, hard, acrylic flat coat. Some other flat coats are enamel based or have a color to them (Testors) that shifts the color of the finish on the model.

Hmmm.... interesting.

Been using Testors acrylic flat for years and never noticed any hint of color shift except that which comes from a shiny color being turned into a flat color. Which isn't really a shift.

Oh well, to each his own I guess. Seems like a lot of trouble.

I always use Future as a dull coat. Having experienced some bad reactions from base colors and enamel or other dull coats I tried it and never had an issue. I don't use lighter fluid though. I mix about 70% Future to 30% Flat Base. Works like a charm and it's acrylic so it dries fast and is safe over any base colors.

And not to mention cheap in the long run since it also doubles as a gloss coat.

Guest Chrgr440RT

Thanks for the input. Just for your guys clarification I'm not using dullcoate or any other laquer/enamel base mainly because I am living in the dorms over here. Also I hate cleaning up enamels. I think the strong fumes would tick off a lot of the other people in the building along with the brass. I am looking at it more for self preservation.