Yet another Corsair

Ron

Well folks, due to unforeseen circumstances. I am at home with nothing but time :smiley22: . So I began working on another Corsair kit :smiley20: . I decided not to finish the trumpeter kit because I need to replace the engine assembly and don't have the money for that. I do have almost everything I need or can borrow what I need for setup on this kit.

This Corsair kit is the learning curve for the kit manufacturer before I begin the kit I want to build next from the same manufacturer, with yet another after that from another manufacturer much further down the road.

This kit, when finished will have a 44 ¾ inch wingspan and be 37 inch long and have a scale of about 1:13 (I could not find a copy of scale calc and am guessing). Of course most of this is just to get to the finish part where the real challenge will begin :smiley17: .

I started with the fuselage. The kit starts with the engine area first as they use this as the "crutch" for the rest of the fuselage to help maintain trueness. After adding the remaining fuselage formers and backbone I ran the stringers and began sheeting the lower sections. I am modifying the rudder to eliminate outside controls, so that is the current stumbling block regarding linkage setup. Soon as I get it worked out, I will finish the sheeting and move on to finish the fuselage sheeting.

Because the kit was not originally designed for retracts, I began duplicating many of the wing parts because I want at least the mains to retract. So right now I am working on the wing and duplicating parts at the same time, which makes the progress much slower. With that said, I have both main spars duplicated and gluing together, I also have some of the ribs duplicated were the retracts will go for stiffness. Once the main spars are dry I will temporally assemble the original parts for comparison so any adjustments or corrections can be made.

More to come as it goes.

I forgot how to add photos so as soon as I can upload them for viewing I will add them.

Wow! Sounds like a heck of a project! It also sounds like you've conquered the "what to do " probems and have started down the road to an impressive build. Looking forward to when you can pots pics of this Corsair! Thanks!

Gil :smiley16:

Thanks folks, but as I said before this is the mfr learning kit. The next will have more. The real trick will still be the finish work.

Edited by Ron

Nice old-school style build going there! ............!

GIL :smiley16:

Agree - and it sure brings back fond memories of my early (balsa stick and tissue paper) modeling days in the late 40s. :smiley20:

Only thing missing is the building base for the straight-pins and wax paper ...... :rolleyes:

Agree - and it sure brings back fond memories of my early (balsa stick and tissue paper) modeling days in the late 40s. :smiley20:

Only thing missing is the building base for the straight-pins and wax paper ...... :rolleyes:

As a mater of fact , I still have and use some of those old T-pins and if you look close you might find the wax paper I used to keep the glues from sticking to everything. Even though I had duplicate or working plans made I still wanted to keep as clear as I could. :-)

Neat -- Gas or Electric ?

I see the plan drawing with the gas motor, just wondering if you're going to convert to electric ?

I havent yet decided. I will have to cut and modify the engine mounts no matter what I decide because they are only 28mm wide and no modern engine will fit. If I go nitro all I need is a tank and enigne (about $120.00). If I go electric, which would be cool, I will need a lot more. To the tune of about $300.00. But I still have time to decide. I recently finished sheeting the majority of the fuse (I left the area where the fuel tank would go open). I will post more pics later.

I have learned a lot about how this mfr designs and works so the next one will be easier to do the mods I have planned.

Edited by Ron

As a mater of fact , I still have and use some of those old T-pins and if you look close you might find the wax paper I used to keep the glues from sticking to everything. Even though I had duplicate or working plans made I still wanted to keep as clear as I could. :-)

Yep, Ron. As I recall my building base was a couple layers of cardboard box laid out flat, the model plans laid over that, and the wax paper pinned over those, and then the assembly on top held in place by simple straight pins straight out of my mother's sewing machine drawer (with her permission and encouragement :smiley17: ).

Occasionally I'd spread glue over my fingers because I enjoyed peeling it off after it dried. AH, the joys of youth!!

Thanks for the memory jog, TAKE CARE and Hope to see you and Robin (I remembered this time :smiley9: ) in Phoenix. :smiley20:

• 2 weeks later...

ok, no progress due to carple tunel surgury, but hopefully I will be doing some work in a few days. I will call it theropy :lol:

Okay, got a couple pics of the filler block for the vertical stab. Started out as a couple blocks of wood, lots of sanding later, got some nice wood fillers. hand hurts quite abot

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00040.jpg

This is amazing!!!

Scratchbuilding a whole airplane. Wow! I'll be looking this one to learn from you.

Thanks for sharing

This is a kit. You get precut parts. and the blocks that still have to be shaped. Although I am duplicating some of the parts for the wing to make modifications not originally designed into the kit. That way I still have the original parts if I mess up. This particular manufacture went out of business in the mid 70's to the best of my knowledge

Get the stitches out of my hand tomarrow. Hope to be working on the wing (or wings since I am building two). Need to clear some space though.

• 2 weeks later...

okay, got some work done on the wing. But I found after I started to plank it that it twiated. So now I will have to remove the planking or find a way to correct the twist. I think I can correct it, but It will take a little planning. Anywya, here is a few pictures of what I got.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005a.jpg

DSC00006a.jpg

DSC00007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, got a flat board to verify the twist before proceededing. The good news is that it was not as bad as I thought. The bad news is the correction method I was going to use might not work so well. So, ... The thinking continues. I really hope to have this figured out soon though. I amd looking forward to finishing this project.

Ok, just so you’all know. decided I have two options.

Completely disassemble the wing and start over. Would mean DE_BONDING many parts. Not a great option.

or

Use a sheet of balsa, that has to be applied anyway, across the top and bottom of the trailing edge (where the twist is) and the attach one end to the wingtip and before attaching the other end to the inboard ribs, use it to push against the twist and remove it. Then attach the sheet to the remaining ribs to re-enforce the correction. Also not a great option because the wing will be pre-stressed and not in the original condition, but should do the trick and continue the build, but since the twist is minor, is my choice for correction. I will begine doing this as soon as I make supports to use to maintain the correct dimensions and eliminate the problem altogether. Stupid me, I should have done that in the first place. But I got excited about finishing. I will post the correction shots after I get everything I need. Sorry for the delay folks.

Edited by Ron