Thinning paint for brushing

bmill245

Is it necessary to thin acrylic paint to brush it on? I haven't ever done this before, I always used it straight from the bottle. If I do need to what would the ratio be, and what would be the best thinner to use for acrylics? I'm assuming water would work, but I'd rather hear it from you guys. I'm asking because I've been getting mixed responses from my friends in the modeling world. Thanks.

My own experience is with Tamiya Acrylics - for acrylics, Tamiya is all I use and I always have to thin them a little bit If I need to use a brush. Whenever I use them without doing so, If I happen to go back over an already painted area, the paint on the brush will pull a little bit back up from the model surface. I know some people use water, some use Tamiya thinner, and some use 91% isopropyl. In the rare instances I brush acrylics, I have always gotten the best results by loading a little bit of lacquer thinner onto the brush before I load the paint.

• 2 weeks later...

When I am brushing paints, I usually don't thin them at all. With that being said, some paints you have to thin a little to get them to flow better, but I rarely do so.

I try to use the name brand thinner whenever I have to thin paints for airbrushing OR I use my old standard "PollyS Airbrush Thinner" for acrylics.

I have friends who use the 91% isoprpyl (rubbing alcohol) for their Tamiya paints & they get great results.

I occasionally dip my brush in Liquitex Flow-Aid to help keep the paint flowing off my brush and slow the drying time a bit. Works for airbrushing too!

I occasionally dip my brush in Liquitex Flow-Aid to help keep the paint flowing off my brush and slow the drying time a bit. Works for airbrushing too!

Where do you get it and how much? I brush 85% of my models. This would be a good thing to have by the gallon....