Need Help...masking Residue Removal

Anybody got a surefire way to remove masking residue??

I painted some Alclad aluminum for a natural metal finish...masked it, and sprayed the colors on the surrounding areas...now I remove the masking, and there is lots of masking residue on the NMF.

I tried isopropyl alcohol, and it seems to work a little, but not all that well...

Help!!!

Don't Laugh but WD-40 works well on old masking tape. Just apply it with a cotton bud. Try it on area that is not too visible before you commit your self to the whole model. Clean the WD-40 off with soap and water. Not sure if if works on clear. I never tried i on that.t.Carl

Go to your local drugstore or WalMart and pick up a roll of NexCare absolute waterproof adhesive tape. Its kind of pinkish color. You will never use anything else. No residue and makes neat curves its really great stuff. :smiley20:

Another trick that sometimes works is to use another piece of the same tape and try to pull up the adhesive with it. The adhesive sticks together and pulls it off.

Another trick that sometimes works is to use another piece of the same tape and try to pull up the adhesive with it. The adhesive sticks together and pulls it off.

Thanks! I've used that one on small areas of residue before...but this time, I think there was too much for it to be very effective.

One other material to try is lighter fluid. It is not as "hot" as some of the other solvents and it will take the adhesive off. I use a q-tip VERY Carefully. Try on a scrap or a remote area of the model first.