Introducing me, Ron Grove

RonG

Hi

I just recently enrolled in the IPMS, mainly to get some hints to improve my models. I have been model building since 1950 or 51; I vaguely remember trying to assemble a sheet balsa airplane with Elmer's Glue-All and I couldn't have been older than 7 or 8. I soon switched to plastic and spent all my allowance on plastic models and stick & tissue paper airplanes.

Since the time I got married in 1966, I have been building wooden ship models (e.g., Model Shipways type kits) with only the occasional plastic model if something perked my interest.

My wife and I are both retired now and we travel about 5-6 months a year in a 25' travel trailer. As you might guess, this environment is not well suited to ship models. I was able to assemble an almost complete hull for the HMS Granado (Jotika kit) on the road but it is no longer practical to work on it out of a tool box. Hence my renewed interest in plastic models. On our last trip I brought along Tamiya's M1A1 Abrams tank kit. I nearly completed it during our 2 month trip (it was a rainy day project and we had great weather. :smiley6: ). Being the kind of person who never goes into something half way I now have a 1/2 dozen or so plastic kits lined up for this winter and onto our next camping excursion. Maybe a 6 kit backlog isn't much to most of you, but I do have 4 partially completed ships to finish and another 4 I haven't even started! I am afraid I won't live long enough to complete all my projects.

Ron Gove

Leesburg, Virginia

Welcome Ron,

As moderator of the Armor forum, I know you have some great people there ready to answer all your questions. I am sure there a few that are more than interested in seeing any of you finished works as well.

Mark

Welcome to the forums and to IPMS, Ron. Guys who do sailing ships all all my respect. I'm lucky to tie my shoes.

Steve

Welcome aboard Ron. If you have any modeling questions, feel free to ask. That is what IPMS is all about, as our motto states " By Modelers- For Modelers".

Happy Modeling,

Mark (alias aAzZ09)

Welcome Ron. Let's see some of your models.

While a travel trailer may be a little small for modeling, lots of us, myself in particular, have built many models in hotel rooms. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Welcome Ron. Glad to have you here. Any idea how many models to the gallon you get on your travel trailer trips? :smiley17: You've come to the right place to share your enthusiasm for the hobby! Here's wishing you smooth roads and paint jobs! Cheers!

GIL :smiley16: