Question about Tamiya Spray Paint over Decals

I am finishing an Alan Kulwicki Hooters car. The car is painted with Tamiya paints.  I have applied decals from an unknown aftermarket maker and probably can't replace the decal sheet. But now that the decals are on I see Tamiya has a note on the spray can cap reading to not apply on decals. Does anyone have advice for me on what will be safe to overcoat the decals? 

I have been able to spray Tamiya TS-13 gloss clear over decals successfully - I have noticed that warning on the semi-glass clear.  These decals were not aftermarket, they were Polar Lights for the Star Trek Shuttlecraft.

If there are any spare decals, I would try clear coating them on a spoon that has also been painted with the Tamiya color to test.  

But you never know, so...

Eric

Or just use another company's clear coat, such as Tester's Gloss Coat. I've used it over all sorts of decals and Tamiya paints with no problem. You can still find it in Michaels and other craft stores and model RR stores. 

Shooting any clear over decals is a bit of a crap shoot, but it can be done.  The trick is to start by laying down several very light coat with sufficient time to dry between coats.  The solvent in the paint is the main problem.  With light coats, the solvent gasses out of the paint much quicker and is less likely to interact negatively with the decal.  Once you have a few coats down, then heavier coats will not get through.  

I agree with Eric. You can use any clear paint.  I have used every thing from automotive lacquers(which are as hot a paint as you can get) to several different hobby paint and art store paints and all can be used successfully.  You just need to test them before hand to see what works.  Careful experimentation is the way to go. 

3 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Shooting any clear over decals is a bit of a crap shoot, but it can be done.  The trick is to start by laying down several very light coat with sufficient time to dry between coats.  The solvent in the paint is the main problem.  With light coats, the solvent gasses out of the paint much quicker and is less likely to interact negatively with the decal.  Once you have a few coats down, then heavier coats will not get through.  

I agree with Eric. You can use any clear paint.  I have used every thing from automotive lacquers(which are as hot a paint as you can get) to several different hobby paint and art store paints and all can be used successfully.  You just need to test them before hand to see what works.  Careful experimentation is the way to go. 

I put clear over my aircraft models all the time without issue. I also test decals for the chance of them breaking up using Super Film. But the Hooters decal used every decal on the sheet so I can't do any testing. I think I'll be OK from the aswers I've received here