4 Frogs 4 Telford

JohnRatzenberger

I'm a member of the Classic British Kits SIG (UK) and our own CBK/USA. Our display at the IPMS UK Nats tells the story of Frog kits.

I did four, all 1/72, all OOB -- they are all in kit markings although some aftremarket decals were needed. Paints are White Ensign Colour Coats, except the Swordfish is Tamiya Gloss Aluminum.

Frog F174F, Gloster Whittle E28/39 Pioneer -- England's 1st Jet.

The kit has a major problem -- the wings are 1/72 but the fuselage was scaled from a 1/64 drawing and so is grossly out of whack. It comes with 2 pilots, one seated, one standing - and even they are different scales. The cockpit is empty so I had to put a pilot inside. I put the kit decals on, but dullcoat rolled 'em right up, so I had to get them off and use aftermarket.

frog-pioneer-30_done-lf_5419_s.jpg

frog-pioneer-30_done-lr_5440_s.jpg

Frog F243, Martin 167 Maryland, Free French.

I had two sets of kit decals -- all cockardes were out of round and other markings varied, so this is finished in a mix of kit(2) and aftermarket decals.

frog-maryland-30_done-lru_5349_s.jpg

frog-maryland-30_done-lfu_5344_s.jpg

Frog F207, A.W. Whitley VII, Coastal Command.

The kit decals disintegrated when they hit water, so this is all aftermarket.

frog-whitley-30_done-lr_5317_s.jpg

frog-whitley-30_done-rf_5339_s.jpg

Frog F258, Fairey Swordfish I, on floats.

Kit decals all the way, rigged with wire.

frog-swordfish-30_done-rr_5421_s.jpg

frog-swordfish-30_done-rfl_5429_s.jpg

The kits will be mailed to Paul Bradley tomorrow -- he will take them over with him. Original plan was to mail them direct but the Royal Mail is striking ...

Well done John. Will CBK/USA have a display table at Phoenix?

Well, I think Yes, but we haven't decided on our theme yet. Telford has pretty much consumed our energy through mid-Nov, then we'll get thinking. We are of course thinking about Telford 2010 and it would be nice (for us slow-building low-production guys) to do same/similar theme for both. But who knows ? Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

This link will (hopefully) take you to a series of pix on the UAMF/CBK Forum showing our Frog Kit display at Telford. Seeing the pix is the first time I knew my 4 had survived the trip(s).

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=10896

I gotta say that this sort of display -- the working toward it and all -- is really fun !! I cannot wait until we decide next years theme.

That's a great display! I think it's really special that YOU were able to contribute to it even though it ws "across the pond". I hope that kind of spirit of participation grows in IPMSUSA so that we can start doing a few similar types of displays at our Nats!

GIL :smiley16:

Oh man, that is a beautiful display!! Splendid job on nthat R-100 blimnp. That would be a great kit to have!

I would LOVE to have those ships for my Navy, especially that Shell Welder in the back!

I take it that the three V-bombers are a smaller scale than 1/72. I need to get the Valiant next to complete my collection of V-bombers in 1/72 scale. That Mach I kit is expensive though....

I also love the four-engined Air Support Command plane. What kind of plane is that? I'd love to have a 1/72 scale model of that!

Oh man, that is a beautiful display!! Splendid job on nthat R-100 blimnp. That would be a great kit to have!

I would LOVE to have those ships for my Navy, especially that Shell Welder in the back!

I take it that the three V-bombers are a smaller scale than 1/72. I need to get the Valiant next to complete my collection of V-bombers in 1/72 scale. That Mach I kit is expensive though....

I also love the four-engined Air Support Command plane. What kind of plane is that? I'd love to have a 1/72 scale model of that!

Mark,

The V-bombers are all 1/96 scale as is the Bristol Britannia, the 4-eng ASC aircraft you asked about.

I have donated my 4 models to the SIG so they will stay over there and travel to other shows --and give me the excuse to build them again, well the Whitley and Stringbag at any rate.

John

Cool. Thanks John. I figured they were not 1/72 scale. I do have a 1/72 scale Victor and Vulcan in 1/72 scale already built, so all I need is the Valiant for the set. It's cool to see these sent over for the tour. Looking forward to the rebuilds!

Many thanks to John for his efforts - he garnered many nice comments about the Whitley and Swordfish in particular!

To add to Gil's point, I really hope that IPMS/USA finds space for more displays at future conventions. There was far more participation from IPMS/UK Branches and SIGs than in the competition. While the old doom and gloom arguments that "the US is much bigger" and "its tough to carry models on aeroplanes" are true to a certain extent, it is the will and enthusiasm of the individual modellers that can overcome these difficulties. I carried 10 models with me to Britain for the show, all for display; others made other arrangements to ensure their models were there. It can be done.

As for CBK/USA, I'm still catching up from my trip, but I'll be reviving the blog shortly and we can start making our plans for Phx. I thought we'd agreed that we'd have "no theme" (though it will be organized), but I'm open to suggestions. :)

I thought we'd agreed that we'd have "no theme" (though it will be organized), but I'm open to suggestions. :)

"no theme" is a theme ... (reminds me of my Army days, we always said of certain commanders "Well, I guess he gets credit for deciding to make no decision...").

I am getting the urge to work my way into my Airfix 1/32 automobiles ...

jr_airfix-cars_5377.jpg

since lots of folks seem not to know these kits even exist ...