RAF Hemp

Neal

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Model Master enamel or Tamiya acrylic that comes close to RAF Hemp? The aformentioned paints are all I can get where I live. I noticed that Tamiya's Deck Tan appears to be pretty close, but lacking any specific matches, does anyone have a paint mix recommendation? I am aware that Xtracolour and Gunze both have Hemp in their lines, but the USPS gets all wonky about shipping liquids to Hawaii.

I have had run-ins with the Color Police in the past, so I would like to stay out of trouble this time. (Over here, they send a Kahuna to the offender's house, and he clubs you to death in your sleep!)

Thanks in advance,

Neal "Can't sleep, the Kahuna will get me!"

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a Model Master enamel or Tamiya acrylic that comes close to RAF Hemp? The aformentioned paints are all I can get where I live. I noticed that Tamiya's Deck Tan appears to be pretty close, but lacking any specific matches, does anyone have a paint mix recommendation? I am aware that Xtracolour and Gunze both have Hemp in their lines, but the USPS gets all wonky about shipping liquids to Hawaii.

I have had run-ins with the Color Police in the past, so I would like to stay out of trouble this time. (Over here, they send a Kahuna to the offender's house, and he clubs you to death in your sleep!)

Thanks in advance,

Neal "Can't sleep, the Kahuna will get me!"

Neal,

I was very surprised that Model Master doesn't have an enamel, so I bought a pot of Extracrylics and used it to match a Tamiya mixture to. Here is what I came up with: (sorry, no pictures of the model it's on yet)

XF-57:2

XF-19:1

XF-2:1

XF-52:1

and I'm pretty sure I added a little XF-21 to taste!

I don't know what the color police would or will see, but it looks pretty good to me.

Mike Moore

Try MM #1704 Armour sand, it's spooky close.

Also could use Tamiya XF-57 with a few drops of green to give it a greenish hue.

I Had a tin of Humbrol 168 Hemp and it compares very closely to MM 1704

Edited by hotel26

Everyone,

Thanks for the input!

I have a bottle of MM US Armour Sand in the paint box, so I will take a look at it tonight.

I was initially going for the Tamiya acrylic route, but am now a little concerned about the paint crinkling up, as I use rattle can Tamiya clear gloss to prep my models for decals. I am aware of the time-honored "lacquer, then enamel, then acrylic" rule, but I have violated that rule many times in the past. But I never tried applying Tamiya spray lacquer over their acrylics. Does anyone have experience in the matter?

Oops, drifting off topic here. And I think I hear the Paint Compatibility Police knocking on my door.

Neal "breaking the law, breaking the law" Izumi

Everyone,

Thanks for the input!

I have a bottle of MM US Armour Sand in the paint box, so I will take a look at it tonight.

I was initially going for the Tamiya acrylic route, but am now a little concerned about the paint crinkling up, as I use rattle can Tamiya clear gloss to prep my models for decals. I am aware of the time-honored "lacquer, then enamel, then acrylic" rule, but I have violated that rule many times in the past. But I never tried applying Tamiya spray lacquer over their acrylics. Does anyone have experience in the matter?

Oops, drifting off topic here. And I think I hear the Paint Compatibility Police knocking on my door.

Neal "breaking the law, breaking the law" Izumi

Hemp is one of those colours that change with the light and time of day.

I was with 101 sqn tankers that where painted Hemp and it ranged from a greenish hue in broad daylight to a very pinkish hue at sun up.

I don't know how on earth anyone can critisize as long as it's close.

If the colour Po Po arrest you send them to me, I'll set them straight.

I wouldn't rattle can over Tamiya Acrylic, I'm sure it can be done in mist coats but the chances for disaster on a great paint job are to great. :smiley18: