Fine Molds 1/72nd Bf 109F-4

Don Flynn

That's pretty cool, Don. I've never built a Finemolds kit, how was it to build?

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

The F was the best fitting Bf 109 kit I've ever done. The biggest problem is the engine cowling 1/2s, since the kit has a basic engine their designed to be posed open so you have to canter sand the edges to get them flush in the closed position.

Tailplanes were very tight fitting also, I had to sand and file the holes out a tad so I could get the alignment right ....never thought I'd bitch about a good fitting kit :P

I've 3 more F's on the bench plus the Bf 109G-6 from them. The later seems to be a tad "looser" in fit...so far nothing major but compared to the F's it suprised me I had to tape the fuselage 1/2's together :)

F's rule! I like the scheme because it shows how they simply adapted the desert scheme to a later environment. Are those the kit markings? Thanks for posting!

Gil :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

F's rule! I like the scheme because ti shows how they simply adapted the desert scheme to a later environment. Are those the kit markings? Thanks for posting!

Gil :smiley16:

Eagle Strike sheet "Augsburg Flyers Pt 2". I wanted something simple for the 1st one of those I do, 3 more on the table plus their G-6

Hi Don.........Interesting Scheme.......nice work.........I couldn't help myself :)

Forums have been funky all day :P

[forum sluggishness noted, Don, please delete this post as it's off topic, thanks]

Edited by DennisTennant
off topic

Looks great. I've built a few of the FM -109s and I think that they are great kits. Plus I love the camo decals when they are provided.

That is a fantastic looking plane! I just night have to pic a few of these up.

Its the sweetest little kit I've ever built. Problem is the damn things are hard to find here in the US. I'd gotten a couple of the Bf 109F-4's at the VB Nats then bite the bullet and ordered a bunch from Rainbow 10, they seem to be the only shop worldwide that had a stash and decent selection.

375755613.jpg

372782101.jpg

I'm glosscoating the one on the right now..should be ready for a dry wash this week....plus these 2 here

375755609.jpg

Need to paint the wheel wells tonite then their ready for camo. One of those might take awhile, I'm doing this pattern and it'll take time to mask

364637178.jpg

355864009.jpg

3rd one will be Aircraft 7 on that sheet

Need to paint the wheel wells tonite then their ready for camo. One of those might take awhile, I'm doing this pattern and it'll take time to mask

364637178.jpg

Don't mask it, CrazyD...just kick it freestyle, Yo!

Bf109F21.jpg

These FineMold kits are sweet. I used one about 4 years ago, when I did a 1/72 Mistel-1 conversion using the 109F2, Italeri Mistel set, and AMT Ju-88. Sawed the front off of the Italeri kit, and transplanted it to the back 2/3 of the AMT kit. Still one of my fave projects, ever.Then I built the one above last Spring. I may have one more left, but I can't remember.

Don't mask it, CrazyD...just kick it freestyle, Yo!

I want to do the masks for 2 reasons....my freehand that scale I need more work on and I want to try and get every frigging donut matched right.

What I want to do is the masking then "freehand" inside of the masks with my brand new Grex airbrush (I normally use a Badger 100G or Sotart 20/20). I'm only going to try this guy once and figure go for broke