Revell 1/110 Jupiter IRBM

This is the old Revell Jupiter kit from the Thor/Jupiter History Makers set. It was originally released in 1958 as a separate kit and everything you see here, with the exception of the second missile, comes in the kit. The decals, however, were damaged and yellowed so I ordered a replacement set that covered both the Thor and Jupiter. Word to the wise to those of you who make replacement decals. Don't just xerox the old decals and reprint them because your will just wind up with new but yellowed decals. Adjust the color before printing. You can see tinges of yellow on the decals in the photos. I had previously obtained another Jupiter kit and while incomplete, it did have all the parts for the missile, so I did one in Army test markings and then scavenged my spare decals to cobble together markings for an USAF operational bird.  This is the missile that both caused and helped end the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962. The US based some Jupiters in Turkey and this prompted the USSR to try to base some of it's missiles in Cuba. Through some tense moments, we offered to remove our missiles from Turkey if the USSR would remove theirs from Cuba and thus the crisis was resolved. The Jupiter was not a particularly good missile having a pretty high failure rate and only mediocre range. It was soon replace in our missile inventory by the Thor. Anyhoo, here 'tis, a 65 year old flash from the past. Oh, and the crane is leaning on the backdrop as I haven't yet figured out how to get it to stand up on its own without tipping over. 

PXL_20230708_151004094.jpg

PXL_20230708_151028919.jpg

PXL_20230708_151038932.jpg

• Like 1