Instructions?!! We don' need no steenkeen instructions!!

Mark Deliduka

As I was going through my stash to see what else I could build, I kept picking this model up. It was the 1/72 scale Hasegawa model of a T-33 A Shooting Star in the Japanese Air Self Defense Force. I had gotten it at my IPMS chapter's semi-annual Distressed Kit Auction for a couple bucks. I looked inside and saw that there were no instructions so I put it back down on the pile. But as I looked for something else that would call out to me, I kept picking this model up only to remember that the instructions were missing and so I would put it down again, only to pick it up one more time. After picking it up and putting it down at least six times, I finally looked inside the box at the pieces and decided that I was going to go ahead and see if I could build this without the instructions. After all it looked to be a simple yet straightforward kit. So I pulled everything out and went to work. This is the result.

I only consulted the box top artwork to make sure I was putting the right colors and decals in the right places. The stencils I put wherever I thought they looked good if I didn't know where they went.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you one Hasegawa 1/72 scale Japanese T-33A shooting Star built without instructions:

Japanese%20T%2033A%20Shooting%20Star%20I.JPG

Japanese%20T%2033A%20Shooting%20Star%20II.JPG

Japanese%20T%2033A%20Shooting%20Star%20III.JPG

And thus another model is chalked up as completed at Maddog Manufacturing. Of course, I won't try this with something about the size and complexity of a C-130 or other multi-engines aircraft, but in this case, it was actually easier than I thought it would be. I did keep looking for the instructions a few times before remembering that they were gone, but I forged ahead and finished rather quickly.

Thanks all for looking, comments are welcome.

Instructions? Who needs 'em? Reading instructions and then diving into the pile of books for specific references take up way too much time. If the goal is to build, skip the time wasted on instructions and references. Works every time! Now if I could just find a set of instructions for the bagged kit I have of the C-130J . . .

The Shooting Star is a beautiful aircraft born of a simpler age. You did a commendable job, Duke.

Ed

Thanks Ed! I'm glad you like it and I appreciate the compliment. I had fun with this little model.

I don't know if instructions for a C-130H would help, but if they would, I could forward you the instructions for mine when I'm done.

One of the things I'd like to do sometime is take a big kit -- 100's or parts -- and try it without the instructions -- kind'a like a jigsaw puzzle. In fact I've been hoping we'd get some pre-release pile of parts from some manufacturer to review and that I'd get to do it -- then I know it's brand new, no chance of cheating ...

Anyway, nice job Mark !!!

Thanks John R. Maybe you should try and see if one of the companies would allow you to build one of their test shots for a promo spot. I know someone who does that. They would give you the instructions, but you could always leave them in the box...

John W. that was one of the things I was afraid of doing. Fortunately, I didn't have to worry on this little model.

Thanks for the comments guys!

The most very cool thing about building w/o instructions is all the neat parts that are left over. Kinda like the extra screws left when putting together a flat pack of furniture!

Glenn

This is true Glenn. In this case however, I used all the parts! When I finished it, I went back to see what was left on the sprues and .....nothing! I guess I built it right then.....

So much fun.

I think I have a T-28 Trojan in the stash without instruction. I may try that one too.....