Atlantis/Monogram 1/67 B/A-26

Ron Bell

This was done just for fun and wound up with just as much heartburn as any other kit. Now mind you, it dates from 1955 so you can't expect too much and they delivered..not much. Zero interior, two figures that look more like construction workers than military pilots, LOTS of rivets and raised panel lines and decal locators, immovable turrets molded into the fuselage, no nose gear well and on and on. However, and surprisingly, with a little care the fit was pretty good requiring a minimum of putty and the clear parts were quite good. I sanded off all that raised detail, but that's pretty much all I did. The NM finish is Alclad. I put a coat of DullCoat over the gloss on the control surfaces, cowlings and gear doors. That way when you apply the Alclad it has a different finish there than on the rest of the plane. Kind of breaks up the monotony. The decals were excellent and went on very easily. Now, mind you, there are many many flaws in this model most of my own making. That's why there are no close up photos. Anyway, here's a blast from the past. 

PXL_20230530_164527185.jpg

PXL_20230530_164611922.jpg

PXL_20230530_164542417.jpg

PXL_20230530_164601577.jpg

• Like 2

Oh that’s a beautiful finish! My dad crewed on those with the Air Force Reserve and was very proud of that type. He bought me that model when I was a young boy to show me what he flew in. 

I read your description before scrolling down and WOW! That old thing ain't supposed look that good! Very good tip on an easy way to vary the NMF too. Love it!

Gil :cool:

Beautiful work on that kit. I had that over 40 years ago. I am tempted to get the Atlantis repop.